S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues?

This is a discussion on S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at buying a used S&W 340PD it has the titanium cylinder,I've heard about something called cylinder erosion with these guns. What it this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues?

S&W 340PD titanium cylinder issues?

I'm looking at buying a used S&W 340PD it has the titanium cylinder,I've heard about something called cylinder erosion with these guns. What it this exactly and what causes it? Does it have anything to do with the "no less than 120GR bullet" warning printed on the barrel? By the way its like new in box condition and also has the crimson trace 405's on it and they're asking $600,I know this is great deal for this gun but I'm worried about the Titanium cylinder giving my issues,thanks for any help.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Most of these revolvers do not have a lot of rounds through them due to the sometimes vicious recoil. I can handle about 3 cylinders in a range session before my hand goes numb. Smith and Wesson has a great warranty, if there is ever any problem you can send it back to Smith and they will make it right. Go for it.

Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

I love mine, has about 500 rounds thru it, mostly 38s. It does have a warning about using anything agressive on the cylinder when cleaning. I have had good luck with mine. But it is nasty to shoot. Great to carry.

I have the M&P version and its only 2 oz heavier. Has a steel cylinder. Look at it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The coating on the Ti cylinder can be scrubbed off is why they tell you not to use abrasives when cleaning.

Using less then 120g bullet may cause excess powder to burn directly on the cylinder and could cause premature wear.

I have more then 1000 38 rounds and several hundred .357 through my 340PD and no problems yet. Its not suppose to be a fun shooter its suppose to save you life.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Also using lighter weight bullets with the heavy recoil will cause the remaining ones in the cylinder to back out of their casing a bit and not allow you to fire as the cylinder cannot rotate. Heavier bullets and those with a deep crimp don't have that problem.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

the warning on the barrel applies only to .357 mag. You can use lighter weight 38 special.

the cylinder will erode if you use light bullets less then 120 grain. They have been around for years and years. I have heard of 2 KB on the net involving scandium frames out of the thousands sold.

Here are some pics of what happens if you where to disobey the warnings in the manual (sanding on cylinder and using hot 110gr .357 mag loads) note the idiot using 110gr .357... This was on the smith forums a long time ago
    Attached Images
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    38 Special? Okay...little bit of hurt..as long as I'm not plinking...but....357 Magnum? No thank you.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Ahhh... the .357 isn't that bad! lol!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I love the feather weights... people shoot em once and sell em to ya half price LOL

340PD in .357 is regrettable and painful but WOW kinda fun in a sick masochistic way. I made it through two cyliner loads and handed it back to its owner with my trigger nuckle bleeding and laughing the whole time. HAND CANNON! I still want one though
    2A is not negotiable

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Ahhh... the .357 isn't that bad! lol!
    That's right! I love my S&W M&P 340.
    SCGunLover1

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I love the feather weights... people shoot em once and sell em to ya half price LOL
    That's how I got mine or so I was told at the funshop.
    SCGunLover1

I have had mine for a few months now.. Shoot the short barrel .357 loads from speer as my SD load (They are like 38++P loads not bad at all).. Practice with 38's and full load .357's not bad with the full CT grips..

But I have been having some issues. The shells fall out fine with 38's and my defensive .357 loads.. but when I shoot full .357's loads the shells are stuck in the cylinder. I push the rod and they come out 1/2 way but still are stuck and I have to pull them out with my hand. Anyone else have this issue? I am thinking possibly the heat is expanding the titanium cylinder and when it goes boom the brass is expanding and getting stuck? Or is my cylinder out of spec?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links