Taurus 85

Taurus 85

This is a discussion on Taurus 85 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of picking up a Taurus 85. If you have ever owned one, what was your experience? Do you still have it? Would you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 85

Taurus 85

I'm thinking of picking up a Taurus 85. If you have ever owned one, what was your experience? Do you still have it? Would you recommend one?

I like mine. After I swapped out some springs and dehorned the hammer I like it much better.

I've had a Taurus Model 85CHSS (.38SPL) for several years. I find it reliable and not uncomfortable to shoot. For what it's intended it's a very good weapon. I routinely carry with this.

i had one for a bit, and i miss it. the previous owner did some custom work to it: polishing it to a mirror finish, porting the barrel, polishing the internals, and some other stuff. best revolver i ever shot.

Senior Moderator
    Exellent little gun. I bought one right after they hit the market and I still have it.
    My wifes favorite gun.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The 85 is the gun Taurus got right.

VIP Member
    I have had three Taurus revolvers over the years. I still have 2 and EDC a Taurus 605 (same as 85 but in .357)every day. I have had zero problems.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    The 85 is the gun Taurus got right.

i have to agree, prob the best gun taurus ever made.

kpw
    I had an 85CH for years. I traded it on something but I should have kept it. Nice, accurate little revolver.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I've had one for a few years. Don't shoot it much but it has never had a problem other than a heavy trigger pull. I clipped 2 or 3 coils off the main spring and it's much nicer. I carry it with shotshells as my snake pistol. Always goes bang and handles nicely.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    I'm thinking of picking up a Taurus 85. If you have ever owned one, what was your experience? Do you still have it? Would you recommend one?
    great pistol I have a CH 85 that I regularly CC when I want something a bit smaller and CC better than the Glock 23. That and 2 bianchi speed strips. Love it it runs 100%. I got it because at the time its what I could afford..right NOW IF I were in the want for a pistol and had $500 id be getting the Ruger LCR..IMO best trigger of any pistol out of the box than ive felt. plus its light and well as I said great trigger. To get the Taurus trigger good im gonna have to send it to the doctor to give it a trigger job apparently just shooting it(over 400 rounds) isnt gonna improve it. But if $$$ is a hindrance(I know it IS for me) go with the Taurus its a good little revolver. Im getting ready to get a trigger job done and to get a set of CT laser grips on it.

I have a 85UL they are great guns and I would recommend it highly. You won't go wrong getting a 85.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    ..........To get the Taurus trigger good im gonna have to send it to the doctor to give it a trigger job apparently just shooting it(over 400 rounds) isnt gonna improve it.........
    I'd suggest you try one of the Wolff Spring Paks in your 85. For $7.99, it could be the cheapest trigger job ever.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I had a Taurus 85UL that I liked very much. My sister-in-law liked it, too. She has it now. It is well-made and as accurate as any snubbie can be. When shooting +p, it's imperative that you find a set of grips that really fit your hand. I ended up with a set of three-finger Paccys that really did the trick. I could shoot +p all day and not hurt. It's not as polished as a S&W, but it doesn't cost $550, either. Good gun and I heartily recommend it.

PS I installed a set of Wolff lightweight springs and it was a different gun. The trigger was absolutely silky.

I have an 85UL with enclosed hammer. Only put about 200 rounds through it, but I haven't had any problems. Really nice, light and the trigger was smooth (although heavy) from the beginning. I carry it as a backup when I go to higher risk areas or when I just need to make a quick trip and want to carry in a pocket holster. Really nice fit and finish.

EDIT: I changed the grip to a Hogue so that my pinky had a place to rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links