Glock 27 vs PPS

This is a discussion on Glock 27 vs PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a IWB carry 40. Prefer the reliability of Glock, however in my opinion, Width is the most important factor for carrying and the ...

View Poll Results: Which 40 for carry

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 27 (40sw)

41 67.21%
  • Walther PPS (40sw)

20 32.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 vs PPS

Glock 27 vs PPS

Looking for a IWB carry 40. Prefer the reliability of Glock, however in my opinion, Width is the most important factor for carrying and the Glock just isnt that comofrtable and the Walther isnt a Glock and I have read some issues with the PPS as far as reliability. Which would you choose for carry?

For those who have shot both, how does the recoil compare??

PS - on the PPS do you have to remove the backstrap to field strip?? I like the fact that you dont have to dry fire to field strip but some have said you need to remove the backstrap and others said that's not necessary just reccomended. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    PS - on the PPS do you have to remove the backstrap to field strip?? I like the fact that you dont have to dry fire to field strip but some have said you need to remove the backstrap and others said that's not necessary just reccomended. Thanks
    I'll be honest and say that I don't know if it is necessary, but it's so easy, why not do it? You pull a little tab and off it comes, that's it.

When I have to lock my PPS in the car when we go to a restaurant, I take the back strap with me. It wouldn't stop a determined thief from finding a way to use the gun, but it would make it enough of a pain in the backside that a smash and grabber might give up trying to make it go bang.

jyo
    I have had a Walther PPS in 9mm for about a year now---thin, reliable, shoots almost to point of aim (a touch low with 115 JHPs, but only a touch), decent trigger for this type of weapon. I use the "small" rear grip even with large hands---still fits well with longer 7 shot magazine (the smaller grip points like a 1911/P35 grip angle, while the large grip tends to give a "glock-like" grip angle---pointing several degrees somewhat upward for me). I personally don't care for removing and replacing the rear grip and treat it like its fixed in place. Quality has been good---a really neat small pistol---I think the .40 will kick noticeably more.

something in .40 cal.

chose my glock 27 3 years ago and no regrets. for it's reliability, comfort carrying
    and handling, plus i got a good deal when i bought it. (all my own opinion)
    any way people have thier own views on what they like and don't like. good luck
    to ya in your quest for a handgun in .40 cal. let us know what you decide and
    ofcourse range report and pics.
    Last edited by glock27mark; February 4th, 2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: wrong number of yrs. (had g-27 for 4 yrs.)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

i voted g27, even though i'm not a huge glock 40cal fan.

the reason being, is that the PPS has a disconnect safety--when you remove the backstrap, the gun becomes completely disabled.

as this backtrap is simply snap on, and i've read a couple reviews where it came of during firing and locked up the gun, i'd personally pass on the PPS.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    PPS by a mile. I have both pistols (a G27 and a .40 PPS and PPS 9mm). The PPS literally disappears under even the lightest clothing. Additionally, the case haed support in the .40 PPS is significantly better than the case head support of the G27. That said, I typically carry my 9mm PPS because it was the one I purchased first and it goes everywhere with me (providing it's lawful to carry there).

As far as the PPS backstrap controversy is concerned I have found it to be a non-issue. There is probably 2000+ rounds through my 9mm and the backstrap is as solid now as the day I took it out of the box. I typically don't remove the backstrap when cleaning but it is easy to do. When disassembling the pistol I triple check the chamber visually and physically, make sure the mag well is empty and then pull the trigger to release the slide from the frame. If you buy a Walther you can buy with confidence. 100% made in Germany and, because of their exclusive marketing agreement for USA, 100% S&W customer support if you should ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i voted g27, even though i'm not a huge
    as this backtrap is simply snap on, and i've read a couple reviews where it came of during firing and locked up the gun, i'd personally pass on the PPS.
    Another PPS owner here to say I've never had the slightest issue with the back strap. I have no idea how it could come off during firing since the base plate of the magazine fits flush with the bottom, so the release tab can't be hit. Those reviewers must have had seriously defective units or done something that I'm not thinking of to get it to come loose.

To those who have said they have or have had both - how does the recoil compare?

IMO, this one's a no comparison and easily goes to the Glock platform.

JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

PS - on the PPS do you have to remove the backstrap to field strip??
    Definitely No.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Another PPS owner here to say I've never had the slightest issue with the back strap.
    +1 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    IMO, this one's a no comparison and easily goes to the Glock platform.
    Could you put a bit of logic behind that? You prefer the grip, the weight, the color....? Have you held or fired a PPS?

Quote Originally Posted by gdkenoyer View Post
    Definitely No.

+1 on that.

Could you put a bit of logic behind that? You prefer the grip, the weight, the color....? Have you held or fired a PPS?
    Reliability, Recoil, Durability, Accessories, Capacity thru several mag choices and No, I haven't fired one. Is there something special about it? I have fired the G27 .40 and I have the G26. I've heard mixed reviews on the PPS and IMO, it hasn't proven itself in a couple of the categories that for me would make me want to spend well over the price for a G27 and possibly have it go down and require repair. Yes, I have held it, the grip does nothing for me, even with the adjustable BS. Not bashing it at all, if it trips your trigger then good, I hope it serves you well.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have owned a Glock and currently have a PPS. Capacity and availability of parts goes to the Glock everything else goes to the PPS. Accuracy, concealability, trigger and sights all go to the PPS.

Having fired both, PPS gets my vote.

I just cannot get over the grip angle of the glocks, they're never comfortable in my hand
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Looking for a IWB carry 40. Prefer the reliability of Glock, however in my opinion, Width is the most important factor for carrying and the Glock just isnt that comfortable and the Walther isnt a Glock and I have read some issues with the PPS as far as reliability. Which would you choose for carry?
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question there. Don't you agree?
    Comfort isn't everything. Living is. It should be a rather simple decision now. You want to live, or be uncomfortable?

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question there. Don't you agree?
    Comfort isn't everything. Living is. It should be a rather simple decision now. You want to live, or be uncomfortable?
    Once again RamRod sums it all up. I own and carry a Glock 27, true it's not as slim as others but you do get used to carry just as you do any other. I carry mine SOB about 5 o'clock, conceals well and I have had no problem.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links