I need your 1911 expertise!!

This is a discussion on I need your 1911 expertise!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need your help. I owned a Springfield Mil-Spec full size 1911 in .45 and loved it. It was my first 1911, first .45. I ...

Thread: I need your 1911 expertise!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I need your 1911 expertise!!

I need your help. I owned a Springfield Mil-Spec full size 1911 in .45 and loved it. It was my first 1911, first .45. I traded it in on a Colt New Agent 1911 so I could carry it for CCW. I'm small and the full size wasn't comformtable for me IWB when seated in a car. If I carried it OWB it was great but the muzzle was always lower than the edge of my coat. I loved that gun too but found that I couldn't shoot a lightweight 3" .45 worth a hoot. It wasn't a good range gun either without tradition sights, so I sold that gun leaving me without a .45 or 1911.

I'm almost done completing my modest collection (literally for life done) but I want to get one 1911 .45. Here's where I need your help. I want....

-Commander / Champion size (4 or 4.25") barrel
    -single sided safety
    -Blued or Park only
    -short trigger and I LOVE the small plain ones that come on the Mil-Spec that look like a crecent moon

If Springfield made a commander or champion sized Mil-Spec, it would be perfect but they only make the full size.

In their GI line, they do offer a 4" commander size, however, the sights are poor and it doesn't have the deeper ejection cut in the slide so it ding's up the brass which is bad if I ever start to reload, or does it? I don't know but have read that it does.

I've thought about buying the GI 4" because I like parkarized finish and I want a commander size. I have a local gunsmith that can change out the hammer, beaver tail, and thumb safety with my parts and I can do that when I want over the years to come for little cost. I also love the initial lower cost of the GI but eventually I'd need to get better sights and I really don't know if the ejection port is a big deal or not. But I could live with the gun the way it is for a LONG time as it won't be my primary EDC.

So, I tried to find another commander/champion sized, parkarized or blue 1911 with a single thumb safety and a short old traditional moon shaped trigger and I can't find one.

I find all kinds of guns with Ambi safetys or aluminum skeletonized triggers, etc and I don't like that, or they're pretty expensive like a plain Colt Commander styled gun which is hundereds more than the GI or Mil-Spec and still has some poor sights. So I am trying to keep the initial cost low because I can make the few changes I want over the long haul.

So, do you know of a basic commander sized gun that has okay sights? Doesn't have to be night sights just good ol 3 dot white.

If I would work with a full size I could go with the SA Mil-Spec which can be had for $575 and then over time add the Wilson's single sided tactical thumb safety, a Wilsons drop in beaver tail and a colt combat hammer. At that point it would be good but it's FULL size and I want a commander. I already have a great holster for a commander along with thinline grips and I even already have the wilson tactical safety.

This gun will be basic range and outdoor gun (camping, hiking, etc.) So plain and simple is good. So can you help me find this? Is it a good idea to just get the GI Champion for the size and then over time add better sights and the thumb safety, beavertail and hammer I want? That's an option I'm seriously considering.

So the perfect gun for me would be the SA Mil-Spec "IF" it was commander size, with a wilson tactical single side safety, a skeletonized hammer (I like the Colt combat hammers) a Wilson drop in beavertail and that's it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

God Bless
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Why not go with the GI Champion and have the sights changed if you want. As for the ding in the cartridge case this happen in a lot of guns and it is no problem. When reloading the ding is removed when you size the case. These should run in the $550 price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

This gun will be basic range and outdoor gun (camping, hiking, etc.) So plain and simple is good. So can you help me find this? Is it a good idea to just get the GI Champion for the size and then over time add better sights and the thumb safety, beavertail and hammer I want? That's an option I'm seriously considering.

So the perfect gun for me would be the SA Mil-Spec "IF" it was commander size, with a wilson tactical single side safety, a skeletonized hammer (I like the Colt combat hammers) a Wilson drop in beavertail and that's it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

God Bless
    Gideon

The answer is yes. Get any Champion and customize it over time... I have a Mil-Spec Champion I purchased back in 1996 that has lowered ejection port already. I had things done over the years and am having it worked on currently by my gunsmith. Her website link is in my signature. Since purchase I had the trigger done 3 1/2 pounds crisp, night sights added w/dovetailed front sight, barrel ramped and throated w/polish for hp's, extractor tuned, FLGR added (oh boy hear we go ), beavertail, extended safety and slide stop added, and new grips. Currently having a fitted grip safety added to replace the gappy drop in, time for new nightsights and maybe a Ion Bond finish haven't decided. Oh and BTW....are you really ever done buying .45's?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Have you checked out the Colts?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

How about looking for a used pistol. Some guys like replacing all the parts, not me. Sounds like you want a fully decked out pistol. So wait a little longer, save a few more bucks and buy what you want.

Also, imho, drop in parts don't always "drop in". Wilson makes VERY high quality items, but when it comes to the fit, let a pro do it. If you want it to look good as well as function.
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

IMO..................Colt Combat Commander 45Cal. Series 70, 4.5" Bbl.
    single sided safety, Blue. The best carry gun IMO.....and naturally I carry one.

Smith and Wesson 1911PD. Shouldn't be more than 40-50 bucks to change out the trigger, part included.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the replys guys. Actually I don't want a decked out gun. In fact the only thing I really insist on is the commander size, and the wilson tactical single side safety.

I like it plain. I did consider the Colts but they are essentially the same as the SA GI's but at a higher price point to start out with.

I looked at the Smith and Wesson but it's also at a higher price point, I would have to swap out the trigger (easy) and I don't care for an external safety.

As far as used go I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for something.

today I held a 5" SA GI; it would be what I want with only a few mods if I can find the champion in 4".

Anyone have a GI who could comment on the condition of your brass after firing? I don't reload now but hope to some day and keep hearing it messes with the casings.

Thanks again for the input!!

Gideon

I'd go with the Champion, but thats just me. It is the gun you see as my avatar. It's great for car carry because of the 4" Barrel, but you have the full-size frame for 8-round mags. It conceals pretty well and handles like a dream for me.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Links