.38 snub????

This is a discussion on .38 snub???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting ready to buy a .38 snubby. Give me your thoughts on what you would buy. That's what I love about this forum. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 snub????

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

.38 snub????

I am getting ready to buy a .38 snubby. Give me your thoughts on what you would buy. That's what I love about this forum. Thanks!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

Find yourself a classic Smith & Wesson Model 10.
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

Smith and Wesson 642/442

Smith and Wesson 642!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'm a revolver noob, but I would have to say my top choice for a .38 snubbie is a Ruger LCR. I'm hoping to get my hands on a S&W snubbie before I make my final decision. I haven't heard anything really bad about the LCR yet, but if anyone hears of something, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I'm a revolver noob, but I would have to say my top choice for a .38 snubbie is a Ruger LCR. I'm hoping to get my hands on a S&W snubbie before I make my final decision. I haven't heard anything really bad about the LCR yet, but if anyone hears of something, please let me know.
    A guy on a local forum complains they smell like burning plastic after shooting them. Not sure how common this is.

Administrator
    442 or 642. Lightweight, time proven, quality American made classics that you are easy to carry. What else can can anyone ask for?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 93civicsedan View Post
    A guy on a local forum complains they smell like burning plastic after shooting them. Not sure how common this is.
    Hmm.... I'll keep an eye out for other people reporting the same thing. Thanks for the heads up. I've read quite a few threads about them (here and elsewhere) and I can't recall that being brought up. I would think that's something people wouldn't overlook, but then again most people aren't so willing to point out every flaw in their new babies.

Here's a link to the one I bought(the pic that pop's up is not the one, go to model 5720 from there). 2.25" barrel bobbed hammer. Will shot .38, or .357magnum.

Ruger SP101 Double-Action Revolver Models
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

+1 on teh 442/642 choice. You will really appreciate the ability to shoot out of a jacket pocket. You will feel secure walking with your hand on your gun while it is concealed in your pocket.

Be different. Rather than striving for ever lighter weight in one's revolvers try the shoot-ability of something with a little more weight to it. Either the steel J-Frame Smith & Wesson or their excellent Model 10 2-inch, which may be concealed almost as easily, are great choices. A Ruger SP 101 handles really well and is still easily concealed. A Colt Detective Special is a premium snub if you can find one at a decent price.

The alloy-framed or plastic-framed guns may be a delight to tote but are less fun to shoot.

I have had the opportunity to do a side by side evaluation of a Smith 642 and a Ruger LCR for some time now.

Bottom line for me is the LCR is WAY easier to shoot accuratly and quickly.

Never smelled any burning rubber from mine... Not sure if that was a joke or not. Perhaps your buddys hands were warming up the grips if there was a lot of rotation due to his grip durring firing?

Any way. It is extremly light, very controllable even with +p's, and easy to shoot quickly and accuratly.

I know the J-frames have been the gold standard in snubs for just about ever, but the LCR is certainly worth an honest abd objective look. If some can force their way past that, they just might find that there is at least an option out there that is as good, if not slightly better for some than the j-frame. Either way, they are both very well made snubs.

Best of luck!

442-642 s&w

VIP Member
    442/642 are the gold standard... I would consider the LCR, I just shy away from first year production guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The 640(steel)and the 642/442(Airweight)Smiths are classics. More weight ok..the Ruger SP101 is a tank. Back wth the lightweights..try the new Ruger LCR! Choices,choices! Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links