.38 snub part 2??????

This is a discussion on .38 snub part 2?????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How much does a Charter Arms run for? I saw new LCR's at a gunshow that were going for $350-$400. I'm not going to say ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 snub part 2??????

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    How much does a Charter Arms run for? I saw new LCR's at a gunshow that were going for $350-$400. I'm not going to say a LCR > S&W, but I would wager they are both going to be better than a Charter Arms.

Also, don't let cost be the biggest deciding factor. From what I've seen and read, 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. If you're life is going to be depending on it, you don't want to wish you spent the extra hundred or two.

2. Remove Ads

IMHO, you just can't beat the Smith subs. Lighter weight, tighter fit/finish, sex appeal and resale value (though if you get a Smith 442/642, I bet you'll never consider letting it go.) As for the trigger? Well, these are not finesse weapons, they're defensive ones. So long as it goes boom, (and either one will) it will never matter.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    How much does a Charter Arms run for? I saw new LCR's at a gunshow that were going for $350-$400. I'm not going to say a LCR > S&W, but I would wager they are both going to be better than a Charter Arms.

Also, don't let cost be the biggest deciding factor. From what I've seen and read, 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. If you're life is going to be depending on it, you don't want to wish you spent the extra hundred or two.
    LCR is a neat idea and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon... smith is coming out with the bodyguard seris to compete with the LCR and the LCP and I heard taurus is coming out with a polymer revolver too.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Thanks gang.......the cost is really not the factor. I am pretty much leaning toward the S&W now.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Dealer price on a Ruger is $350.25 so if you can haggle and get yourself into that area I suggest you get an LCR because they have the absolute best trigger in the snub revolver category without having to have your gun sent to a custom shop. I have a S&W 642 and the trigger on it can't even begin to compare to the Ruger LCR.

Of my three snubbies the trigger quality is: in order; S&W 640-1, Colt DS and S&W M49.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Thanks gang.......the cost is really not the factor. I am pretty much leaning toward the S&W now.
    Good move overall. Now, if Colt were still in the game, I'd be all over them. As it is, I own multiple Smiths' as they are supported more than any other option currently available. Personally, I like customizing my revolvers to be somewhat different from stock. Be it something basic or highly refined, its fun!

If you're looking for a snubbie revolver with an excellent trigger, do yourself a favor and look at the Ruger LCR. I am a HUGE S&W fan, but out of the box the LCR trigger is superior to the S&W.

I just bought an LCR; I compared side by side with many Smiths, taurus, rossis, and charter arms. The LCR is FAR superior in terms of trigger pull LIKE BUTTER!!
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Quote Originally Posted by jtheise4 View Post
    If you're looking for a snubbie revolver with an excellent trigger, do yourself a favor and look at the Ruger LCR. I am a HUGE S&W fan, but out of the box the LCR trigger is superior to the S&W.
    you speak the truth
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Although it is clearly listed by several above, the CAs are not even in the same ballpark as a Smith.

In the wheelgun world the Smith's set the curve, everyone else just tries to get as close as they can.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtheise4 View Post
    You must have gotten lucky... I have tried several LCR's in the gun stores and not one of them I found had a decent trigger pull.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have to agree about a S&W revolver, they are great wheel guns! I also have to reply about the Charter guns. I've had a .44 bulldog that I had the hammer bobbed and a trigger job done on since 1980 something and it's never failed me yet. I don't know about the newer ones though. I also bought a Taurus 85 for my wife and she was not at all happy about my " shiny, silver, Christmas gift", so I have it now with a set of Wollf springs which really smooth out the trigger. Her loss. I would though, if price isn't a factor, get a Smith and have it slicked up a little as a first choice, but I wouldn't worry about carrying either of the other two! They both have never failed to go bang and with the inexpensive spring set ( 7.95) on the Taurus and the trigger job on the Charter, their triggers now stack up to any others.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Beware any a dealer, of any product, who pushes something that goes against the grain of the consensus of educated, experienced people. A dealer of multiple brands has profit margins and stagnating inventory on his mind. I would also worry about the long-term availability of support from a company whose history includes going under. Moreover, S&W and Ruger have stable histories and excellent customer service.

He says the Charter Arms is much smoother/lighter trigger pull. He says the C.A.s is his top pick in snubbies.
    He's got some old stock Charters he needs to move.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links