.38 snub part 2?????? - Page 3

.38 snub part 2??????

This is a discussion on .38 snub part 2?????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my car sits a package with a Charter Arms .38 Undercover to be sent back to CA for the second time for the same ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 snub part 2??????

EdC
    In my car sits a package with a Charter Arms .38 Undercover to be sent back to CA for the second time for the same problem: Hammer block on the transfer bar broke, less than 50 rounds of .38 sp. This time, CA is replacing it. I've owned a S&W 442, and in my opinion, it's a far better quality gun than any CA, even if the CA is supposed to have a "smoother trigger pull"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would never consider comparing triggers on NIB firearms as representative of what you will feel in the same firearms after some break-in. I am NOT one of those that believe a firearm should act the same from day one, out of the box, as it will after hundreds of cycles. I traded for a NIB 637 a couple of years ago and was a bit disappointed in the trigger at first, but figured that it would smooth out. After a couple of hundred live rounds, and several hundred dryfires, it became one of the smoothest triggers I've ever felt in a revo (with the exception of an old, well worn Colt DS). On the other hand, I traded off a CA Undercover several years ago that gave me fits keeping the spring mounted cylinder pin retainer (in the breach face of the frame) properly adjusted. Charter Arms, like many others, has apparantly gone through various periods of quality, lack of quality production. Smith and Wesson has had their downers as well. But, for the money, I'll take the S&W.

surv

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Any revolver I get, I have to take apart and smooth out the metal surfaces, lubricate properly, and usually replace the springs. But after a few hundred trigger pulls, any revolver will smooth out well enough. Buy the gun that feels right in your hand and is easy for you to aim and control while you pull the trigger.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I decided on the S&W 638 and love it!!!!!!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Great minds think alike, REVMAN. I put one on Layaway today. Come on refund check!!

Twelve years ago I purchased the Smith & Wesson Model 642. Now I think the Model 638 looks like a superior choice.

I prefer in my own opinion,,,,,,,, RUGER SP101 2.25 inch barrel in .357/.38 cal. Why?????? You can shoot 2 different types of ammo and not have to woory???? about the lock locking up while firing or defense purposes arise. richgp100z.

Quote Originally Posted by richgp100z View Post
    I prefer in my own opinion,,,,,,,, RUGER SP101 2.25 inch barrel in .357/.38 cal. Why?????? You can shoot 2 different types of ammo and not have to woory???? about the lock locking up while firing or defense purposes arise. richgp100z.
    \

+1. However, it has a stiff trigger pull... I have fired close to 400 rounds through mine and the trigger is as stiff as the first day. I love this gun and the trigger is not so much of a problem for me as I have grown used to it.
    I carry this gun regularly and feel very well protected. Stoked with Double Tap .357 rounds, it is an AWESOME self defense package.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre03 View Post
    That is strange; the biggest drawback I have read about the CA pistols is poor trigger. In my experience gun shops are like any other business, many times they try to sell what needs to move rather than what is best for the customers needs.
    I agree 100%
    without a doubt I would go with a Smith and wesson over a charter arms ALL DAY LONG!.
    Check out the ruger LCR also.That's a nice trigger on a snubbie.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    guess i should of read a little further.
    good choice.

I can not comment about CA but I will on the S&W and Ruger. I have a Smith 442 and the Ruger LCR. The out of the box trigger on my LCR is much nicer than the out of the box 442. Neither gun is fun to shoot as in a range gun. I find the LCR easier on the hands, I would guess due to the stock grips. With the Hogue grips on the 442 it becomes easier on the hands and wrist. I have no regrets or buyers remorse on either the 442 or the LCR.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I looked at the LCR (very nice gun) but as soon as I handled the 638 and dry fired it, well I knew it was for me.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

642/442 is the way to go.

Emrah

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The LCR is alright for the money but the ones I have looked at

Is bulkier then a J frame
    The hammer block rattles
    The cylinder doesn't lock up very tight
    Doesn't fit small frame revolver holsters (unless its an uncle mikes or specifically made for the LCR)
    Trigger isn't consistant, starts out soft and becomes harder to pull. (I could see this leading to jerking the trigger if you arn't used to it)

I tried to like the LCR... I really did; since it was a hybrid polymer and metal revolver (innovative). I just think they could have done a somewhat better job if they made a hybrid SP101 in .38 sp
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links