Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters - Page 2

Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters

This is a discussion on Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Arko .... If you aren't comfortable with it then please by all means carry something else. but don't conclude from your own ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post

If you aren't comfortable with it then please by all means carry something else. but don't conclude from your own unfamiliarity that a whole system is flawed.

You are 100% wrong. I AM comfortable with the pistol and I AM very familiar with it. This is why I have to come my own conclusions that it is not the best (safest) CC pistol.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but please do not insult me just because I have a different opinion than you.

Peace, and be safe.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

For those not familiar with VA laws....you cannot carry CONCEALED in places that serve alcohol...you MUST OC.

That said, carrying in a club with a lot of people cramped in a small space with low lighting and loud music, your situational awareness goes to near zero. I certainly hope (for your sake) you will be using a holster with retention...and not drinking.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

JD is right; I carry mine cocked & locked all the time; In February of '08 I wrecked my motorcycle, and hit the ground doing 35 mph. My fanny pack was on, and flew off when I hit and ended up several yards from me after tumbling like its owner. When the DPS trooper arrived, the first thing I told him was to grab my fanny pack and check the weapon. Sure enough, it was cocked and locked round chambered - and had not gone off.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If you are nervous carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, you most likely should not be carrying a 1911. Just my 2 centavos, and "you" used collectively.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    You are 100% wrong. I AM comfortable with the pistol and I AM very familiar with it. This is why I have to come my own conclusions that it is not the best (safest) CC pistol.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but please do not insult me just because I have a different opinion than you.

Peace, and be safe.

-
    That's the beauty of a 1911. Been around for 100 years and is still one of the best designed handguns. You have to overcome a minimum of 2 safeties before engaging the trigger. Most DA's, just pull the trigger. An added benefit is that an unfamiliar user will not be able to quickly turn it on you. May be the best for a dance floor.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Guess everybody covered it. I agree, cocked and locked +1 is perfectly safe.

I do want to add that you could not pay me to carry a firearm to a dance club. I have never gone to a club where someone wasn't drinking and likely many were recreating with various substances. Even if it's not you drinking or doing drugs...I would stay away from that type of environment, especially with a firearm. To me it seems that one would be asking for potential trouble. If it's your job...maybe. Otherwise, nope. If you have to...a 1911 ready to "dance" is perfectly safe.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    I've heard all the stories about people taking a huge chance with the M1911 being carried cocked and locked, is it advisable to carry it in very close quarters environments like dance clubs/parties where you could get bumped - this might be a dumb question though so bear with me...
    It's not a dumb question.

There isn't anything to worry about, the "1911" pistol is still one of the safest handguns ever designed, just because it was designed over 100 years ago, and some are afraid of them, is absolutely irrelevant.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

My only concern would be that the 1911 would be worked loose from the holster while I was performing my rendition of "The Worm" then falling out of the holster upon standing and landing on the toes of a lady in open toed shoes.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    My only concern would be that the 1911 would be worked loose from the holster while I was performing my rendition of "The Worm" then falling out of the holster upon standing and landing on the toes of a lady in open toed shoes.

Yeah...what about your backspin or windmills....that would certainly fling it from your holster into a crowd. Sorry couldn't resist. We need a dancing banana with a 1911 graphic for this thread

Just got back from classes today and realized that the M1911 was designed for combat, and since soldiers can take tons of spills/falls in the field, if it went off that slightly then the military probably would have given it the boot a long time ago...yes I am a very poor student of firearms, unfortunately...

The reason I asked is that most of the "safe to carry cocked and locked" threads I've seen in the net usually have the M1911 attached to it, but now I have a better understanding of the concept, because before I wondered why this specific gun kept coming up in the discussions I was reading - I actually carry an HK45C "cocked and locked" with the hammer down. One day I'll reward myself with a 1911 if I survive the next 4 years...

On the dance club/parties issue - no, I haven't carried into clubs because I cannot pull off open carry properly without freaking people out (although I hope by the end of the legislative session McDonnell and the State Legislature will sort it out) and with parties (house parties that may involve dancing), I usually just stick around people I know very well and some already know I can deal with an attempted grab.

I do not drink alcohol whatsoever because it tastes really weird, and also for religious reasons. I have been a designated driver since college and I do not want to ruin that reputation.

I have danced salsa (and other types of club dance) before in places that do not have an ABC license and I have been bumped once or twice, but usually people are focusing on their partner or on their moves to think about something on someone's hip. I did post a thread earlier about how I got made twice in one night but that is because the person was focusing mentally and physically on me. While dancing there is absolutely no way her hands are going to land on your hip because either you will be holding her hands or your arm will be directly underneath hers, both elbows touching, or your arms are pinned to your sides holding on to her hips - if you've ever seen young people in a club "dance" the lady's hands will almost never be on his hips.
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

The only possible thing I could see as a "danger" would be if someone bumped the safety off (assuming ambi controls) AND then the person drew and didn't follow trigger finger discipline. Could touch off a round by "accident". Lot of "ifs" there though.

On a side note, alcohol and OC seem astoundingly asinine to me. Too much temptation for some drunk idiot to try and do a snatch & grab.

Agent 47,
    "I have been a designated driver since college and I do not want to ruin that reputation." I can respect that...
    There's an old saying that "the designated driver responsibility is not for everyone, but if you must do it, have fun and drop 'em off at the wrong house"
    Be safe!
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

Peace, and be safe.

-
    Wasn't meant to be an insult. Your conclusion runs counter to most.
    Whatever your comfortable with is fine with me.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

"Safety was not exactly the primary concern back then."

A very strange statement in light of the features offered by the 1911 design.

My big black old sloppy-slide Colt .45, with two extra loaded hollow-point magazines, hides and resides inside the nightstand beside my bed; with a loaded Mossberg 500 propped up in the bedroom corner next to it. The hallway is narrow and not a mile away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links