Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters

This is a discussion on Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chevy-SS ....the gun was designed in 1911, that's a hundred years ago. Safety was not exactly the primary concern back then. There ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    ....the gun was designed in 1911, that's a hundred years ago. Safety was not exactly the primary concern back then. There are many safer carry guns out there now (virtually any SA-DA) for CC.
    -
    If safety wasn't a concern ( a hundred years ago)....I wonder why the 1911 has a grip safety AND thumb safety? (rhetorical question) If you look at any of JMBs designs, you'll see safety was important to him.

Comparing the 1911 to any of today's mainstream firearms, it is just as safe if NOT more than others.

The function of the thumb safety is to 'lock' up the the sear & hammer, preventing the firearm from allowing the hammer to fall. Then add in the grip safety, which keeps the trigger from pushing on the sear, adds even more safety to the firearm. There are only a few weapons that do as much to make the pistol as safe.

I think you will find a bunch of people here (myself included), who carry full size or commander sized 1911s EVERYDAY......& while some don't like the 1911, those that do swear by them & trust them........

Today's 1911s are some of the most state of the art firearms around......& NO OTHER FIREARM HAS AS GOOD A TRIGGER! They aren't your dad's old surplus 1911 anymore.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's in a holster, the trigger is covered, you've got two other safeties...how is it going to fire?
    It cannot possibly be a problem in close quarters...enjoy the dance!
    Most 1911s have 4 safeties:
    1.Thumb safety
    2.Grip safety
    3.The half cock (design feature to catch the hammer if it somehow falls without the trigger being pulled)
    4.The last one is between the ears (ye 'ol noggin)

Add it all to a proper holster that covers the trigger and you have a very safe gun. Much safer than some of the other designs out there.

I would carry locked and cocked, but at my advanced age I doubt if you would catch me in a dance club.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I would carry locked and cocked, but at my advanced age I doubt if you would catch me in a dance club.
    If you do, please video and post it for our enjoyment.

[QUOTE=Phantoms;1483507]Most 1911s have 4 safeties:
    1.Thumb safety
    2.Grip safety
    3.The half cock (design feature to catch the hammer if it somehow falls without the trigger being pulled)

Add to that the disconnect safety, and it's a total of 5 - 4 mechanical and one user.

For those of you who may not know about the disconnect safety on the 1911, if the slide is not completely in battery, the gun will not fire. Even a 1/32 inch out of battery, no bang.

The 1911 is probably the safest handgun you can own. Empty, loaded and/or cocked and locked. I believe that when it was the standard issue military handgun, the military did it a great injustice - at least the Navy did. The Roving Patrols and Jr OOD (Officer of the Deck) in port carried the Navy issue 1911 with two full magazines of FMJ ammunition. However, neither was permitted to carry loaded, much less locked and loaded. Kind of a dumb move IMNSHO.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    ....The 1911 is probably the safest handgun you can own. .

.... The Roving Patrols and Jr OOD (Officer of the Deck) in port carried the Navy issue 1911 with two full magazines of FMJ ammunition. However, neither was permitted to carry loaded, much less locked and loaded. Kind of a dumb move IMNSHO.
    That's pretty much an oxymoron right there. If it was so safe, then why weren't they all carrying 'cocked and locked'?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

JD
    Administrator
    That's pretty much an oxymoron right there. If it was so safe, then why weren't they all carrying 'cocked and locked'?

-
    They still don't with M9s and ARs while on guard duty. Condition 3 unless in a war zone is pretty much SOP.

Originally posted by JDYou can beat on the thing with a mallet and it's not going to go off by itself.
    I don't know that I'd go that far but it is quite a safe design.

Most clubs that I'm aware of wand people at the door so I'm not quite sure how you'd get any handgun in but I wouldn't have any concern carrying a 1911( pleasenote I didn't specify C&L because if you're going to carry a 1911 that should be a given)

OD*
    If it was so safe, then why weren't they all carrying 'cocked and locked'?

-
    It had nothing to do with the pistol being safe nor unsafe, as JD said, that's still SOP for the Military today.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Most 1911s have 4 safeties:
    1.Thumb safety
    2.Grip safety
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Add to that the disconnect safety, and it's a total of 5 - 4 mechanical and one user.

For those of you who may not know about the disconnect safety on the 1911, if the slide is not completely in battery, the gun will not fire. Even a 1/32 inch out of battery, no bang.
    That is true of any semi or full auto, the disconnector is to keep the weapon from firing full-auto unintentionally. There is a 4th mechanical safety if the pistol has the Colt Series 80, Kimber's pseudo Swartz, or S&Ws version of a firing pin block.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    After keeping up with this thread, the lyrics " I don't dance, don't ask me" are playing in my head.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

-
    Pretty much based upon the old adage that the difference between the Navy and the Boy Scouts is that the Boy Scout have adult leadership. I can only answer that question by saying that the Navy's policy was not based upon the safety of the firearm, but was based upon trust of the user.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    As has been pointed out, no safety issues unless you remove it from the holster, disengage the safety, and depress the grip. Plenty of safety features that you would have to bypass before it goes "bang".
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Policy dictated by superiors...nothing to do with the design of the firearm
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ..... Condition 3 unless in a war zone is pretty much SOP.
    PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet there are many here who insist that 'condition 3' makes a weapon useless, or turns it into a club.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links