Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters

This is a discussion on Carrying cocked and locked in close quarters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard all the stories about people taking a huge chance with the M1911 being carried cocked and locked, is it advisable to carry it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I've heard all the stories about people taking a huge chance with the M1911 being carried cocked and locked, is it advisable to carry it in very close quarters environments like dance clubs/parties where you could get bumped - this might be a dumb question though so bear with me...
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    I've heard all the stories about people taking a huge chance with the M1911 being carried cocked and locked, is it advisable to carry it in very close quarters environments like dance clubs/parties where you could get bumped - this might be a dumb question though so bear with me...
    Huh?

Taking a chance how? You can beat on the thing with a mallet and it's not going to go off by itself.

As you're asking the question, I'm wagering that you don't really know how a 1911 works.

For one, read this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html

Then take a look at this: M-1911 Animation.

Along with that, I'm just going to give quick down and dirty answer.

No, no one is "taking a chance" with carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, UNLESS one is referring to the possibility that one who is not intimately familiar with the model forgets to remove the safety when needed. And I would most likely not carry to a "dance club" or party any way, but if I were inclined to for some reason or other, I would not be weary of a 1911 being bumped as there is a series of events that NEEDS to take place before the gun can fire.

Uuuhhh...Never heard of that.

In fact to test this I just intentionally bumped into my beautiful wife like we were dancing with my Officers ACP that I am carrying right now IWB cocked and locked +1 and everything is fine...didnt fire.

I wouldnt worry about it.

When I carry a 1911 its in condition 1, no exceptions.
    No exceptions, ever.

Too many safeties need to be disengaged at the same time for that to happen: Gun out of holster, grip safety in, thumb safety down, trigger pulled.

?

Thats the reason I chose a 1911. I like the caliber and I think its beautiful but I wanted the safety features the 1911 offers. Condition one is not "taking a chance", its as inherently safe as any other firearm and was designed to be carried that way. Its a 99 year old design and still going strong so I'm guessing that it works.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

People see the hammer on a 1911 and get scared. A cocked internal striker is out of sight and mind.

It's in a holster, the trigger is covered, you've got two other safeties...how is it going to fire?
    It cannot possibly be a problem in close quarters...enjoy the dance!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not a dumb question, but a C&L 1911 is probably one of the safest ways to carry a concealed weapon IMHO. I'd be more concerned of a Glock or other stiker fired pistol and I'm not concerned about those when I carry them. Just keep full control of your weapon at all times, wear a good holster with the appropriate trigger covers, and stay attentive. If you just let go and not think about the weapon you are wearing, perhaps wearing a weapon isn't the right choice.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Nothing to be worried about, beyond the fact that somebody might bump the grip and know you're carrying.
    Beyond that bumping a cocked and locked 1911 will not cause it to fire.
    I've bumped mine in the holster a few times and nothing happened outside of feeling pretty darn stupid for not watching where I was going or what I was doing.
    Just a few days ago making dinner I opened the oven door and bump, right at the top of the slide. Hubby looked at me funny and asked if I was just learning how to cook.
    Funny man.

However guns and alcohol don't mix, period.
    Last edited by Rugergirl; February 5th, 2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Another issue, as JD mentioned above, is "should you be carrying in a club"? In many states, it is illegal to carry where alcohol is served (bars and clubs, etc) and most are also posted on their doors. I know, many still do. And that is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.
    But as to the first question; no, it is not dangerous to carry any modern, machanically sound 1911 in condition 1.
    Be safe!
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

I have a full-size 1911 and I would never consider that thing a CC gun. I've shot many thousands of rounds (target and IPSC matches) with it, but no way would I carry it around.

Many posters here obviously feel 1911 +1 CC is uber-safe, but not me. Let's face it, the gun was designed in 1911, that's a hundred years ago. Safety was not exactly the primary concern back then. There are many safer carry guns out there now (virtually any SA-DA) for CC.

If you're gonna go to any 'dance clubs/parties', the very last thing you should be wearing is a cocked and locked 1911.

Just MHO.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I have a full-size 1911 and I would never consider that thing a CC gun. I've shot many thousands of rounds (target and IPSC matches) with it, but no way would I carry it around.

Many posters here obviously feel 1911 +1 CC is uber-safe, but not me. Let's face it, the gun was designed in 1911, that's a hundred years ago. Safety was not exactly the primary concern back then. There are many safer carry guns out there now (virtually any SA-DA) for CC.

If you're gonna go to any 'dance clubs/parties', the very last thing you should be wearing is a cocked and locked 1911.

Just MHO.

-
    What does it being designed in 1911 have to do with it? If it were inherently unsafe the design would not have lasted this long. No manufacturer is going to take on a vicarious liability risk producing a weapon that isn't considered as safe as others on the market.

If you aren't comfortable with it then please by all means carry something else. but don't conclude from your own unfamiliarity that a whole system is flawed.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Just MHO.

-
    Not to sound rude or anything but do you have any experience with 1911's?
    What does being 100 years old have to do with being safe or not?
    Have you compared the AD statistics/percentages with say like glocks?
    I have not for quit some time but if some one has maybe they could post a link to it so you can see just how safe a 1911 really is!

Just MHO.

-

The design and its age has nothing to do with it.

With my over 37 years of competition, shooting, tactical shooting, instructer, and defensive carry experince with a cocked and locked / loaded chamber 1911... I respectfully totally disagree with your opinion and statements.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links