Defensive Carry banner

opinions needed!

2K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Cold Warrior 
#1 ·
Don't know if i am going to have enough money for the usp compact that i wanted:icon_sad: just wanted some opinions and recommendations on what a good first carry gun would be?

#3 ·
I'll probably get tagged as a Glock fanboy, but I really do think the G26 is a great first CC pistol in all the categories for a superb pistol. I would also recommend the Kahr CW series in 9mm or .40. Just at $400 and change it's one of the better low cost but excellent quality options out there.. FWIW

Good luck with your choice.

GBK :bier:

#6 ·
I personally don't find glocks very comfortable to hold but that being said I have to agree. Glock 26 is a great first pistol. They work well for CCW, home defense and are fun on the range. They are also stone cold reliable. Can't really go wrong with one unless it's not comfrotable in your hand.

If cost is a concern you can check out the Taurus Milpro line however be warned. I think Taurus makes a good gun but I will not buy another one because of their customer service. My EDC is a PT145 pro and I love it.

#4 ·
What ever you get just remember that if the gun that you shoot best with is a little out of your price range it may be best to wait until you can save the extra and get that vs buying something that may not work for you.

You've gone this long without a carry gun, the little extra time you wait may save your life.

#13 ·
All great guns. Hopefully you can find an indoor range in your area and you can try most (hopefully all) of them out and see what's right for you. I highly recommend finding your first gun in this manner. Trust me, I know. I've traded far too many guns that I didn't like before I found one that I really liked.

#7 ·
As rollo said the millenium pro series is a good starter carry weapon, I had a pt140 and it went bang every time, shot groups of about 3 inches at 10 yds. I could do better if a really shot slow down to 2inches or less. But 3 inches is good enough for quick double taps. Now the trigger is...well horrible but I got spoiled by my sig and judge everything else next to it.
Would I carry a pt140 today?? Yes I would.

#9 ·
I love my Springfield XD9 sub compact. It is a great carry gun for me. I compared it to the Glock 26, which is about the same size, but the xd felt better in my hand.

Just make sure whatever you get it is comfortable in your hand.

#10 ·
I just feel like guns are something you shouldn't really skimp on too much.

Me, personally, I won't buy a cheaper gun only because it's cheaper. I'll save and wait and get what I really want. Considering the cost of the investment your making, you want to be truly happy with what you're buying. Otherwise you may end up disappointed.

Just my thoughts.

#12 ·
Yeah i have been thinking that myself, i went around today and looked at cheaper ones, but none of them felt as good as the usp compact. Its almost like shopping for fruit you are willing to pay a little bit more for the better quality fruit then buy a bruised apple or one that you dont like the taste of.

#11 ·
Depending on budget, experience and possible probable scenarios: Charter Arms, Taurus or Rossi .38 caliber revolvers to start simple and cheap? Dependable but reasonably cheap and easier to use under stress that may be the best? Carjacking or parking lot or sidewalk? .380 or 9mm semi-automatic pistols for close range with hollow point bullets in magazines? .40 or .45 hand cannons at home with a shotgun? Scan the forums, read the magazines and go to gun shows and shops and ranges to get some advice and opinions, just in case you can't buy the first half-dozen guns that you like.

#16 ·
Need has a lot to do with your choices.

Might consider a good used firearm at a reduced cost in order to get the firearm in hand and on guard duty.

#19 ·
Glock-26 if you prefer 9mm, or the Glock-36 if you prefer the .45 caliber with 'big boy holes'...:ticking:
Either will work for ya'...:yup::comeandgetsome:

#20 ·
s&w m&p9c

If it feels good in your hands, (it will), you will like how it shoots!!
YOU will get one!!

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?

#21 ·
First carry weapon

I started out with a glock 23, then a glock 30. I like both of them and feel that out of all the others I happened to try these 2 were the best. I had purchased a kel-tec thinking that the smaller size would be better for concealment only to take it to the range, shoot it and then take it inside and put it on consignment.. The glock is much smoother and easier to shoot than the smaller kel-tec p-9. I am however excited to get my new Kimber raptor pro and hope that it is all everyone says it is.

Good luck.

#23 ·
Give CDNN a call. You may find a USP Compact is more reasonable than you think. The time to cut costs isn't when you're buying a self defense handgun. The USP Compact is a great pistol. I have one in .45ACP. I also find carrying a full size USP to be easy with a good IWB and gun belt.

#24 ·
...and now, with several redundant good-enough ugly-black-plastic guns, and a few prettier ones in stainless steel, I am "thinking" at that shiny stainless-steel guns must shoot better because they cost more, like my brand-new 1911 Colt .45 that does not have that ugly black sloppy slide like my old .45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.