New P220 SAO Carry

New P220 SAO Carry

This is a discussion on New P220 SAO Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love it. Just picked it up today. Only had 4 rounds through it due to the weather, but I don't regret trading in my XD ...

Thread: New P220 SAO Carry

New P220 SAO Carry

Love it. Just picked it up today.

Only had 4 rounds through it due to the weather, but I don't regret trading in my XD towards it in the least. To be an alloy gun, it actually feels lighter than the XD did. Losing 5 rounds of .45 would make a difference weight wise, but this just feels better. Extremely happy with my purchase, can't wait to go throw some lead at paper.

Now to get ahold of some wood grips...

VIP Member
    Good looking gun! I absolutely love my P220R, finest pistol I have ever fired.

The longer you have it, the more you will like it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm jealous! I just put in an order for one. My dealer is saying 6 weeks at best.

Put a few through yours for me!

Enjoy!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I was surprised my local dealer actually had one of these in stock. He also had a full size 2 tone DA/SA, and a compact Nitron DA/SA, but the SAO was what I wanted. Got $325 for my XD .45, and walked out with the Sig for about $413. My one big tax return splurge :)

Absolutely a good trade...The XDs seem to have a following and shoot OK I guess. But they are balanced wrong and top heavy. That Sig is a well engineered machine and will make you a better shooter IMHO .
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Congrats!! That's actually one of the guns that's on my short list. How do you like the beavertail? Do you feel it helps with ergonomics and recoil? Any trouble concealing the gun? Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

"Love it!"
    I can see that easily. Love my full size P220 SAO.
    Best wishes for you and your new SIG in 45acp. Believe me, you're not loosing anything with the P220 over an XD. Best of luck! Be safe.

nice piece , i have a first production run full size SAO. I love it. good luck finding grips though.

Nice Sig. I've got one just like it (perhaps).

I've found that mine wasn't a production gun - at the time, they didn't make the SAO with a beavertail. As near as I can tell, mine is a part of an overrun on a military contract (possibly for Blackwater - heard that at a gunshow, for what its worth). It is built just like a P220 Elite minus the front cocking serrations and the wood grips. To tell if yours is part of this build, the easiest way is two things: the beavertail, and the takedown lever. The off side of the lever should have a circle engraved around a dot, instead of a flat surface.

All of the above is hearsay, as I have no hard evidence other than the fact that I know that at the time mine as made, the beavertail was not a production option except in the Elite series. I've been meaning to get one of those pedigree certificates from Sig, but I've never gotten around to it - it isn't really that important.

At any rate, you've got yourself one sweet gun!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Nice!...looks like mine. Does yours have the external or internal extractor?
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I'm not sure if mine is one of the mil-sup models or not. It does have the beavertail, and does not have front cocking serrations nor wood grips. What was said about "The off side of the lever should have a circle engraved around a dot, instead of a flat surface." Has me a little confused. Towards the front of the slide there is a half moon notch cut out, not sure if that's what Exodus meant or not. When taking the pistol apart the half moon circle lines up with the takedown lever.

The extractor is external (it moves with the slide). Just stepped outside with it at night for the first time and glanced down at it, the sights are super bright. Go Go SIG!

To reply to ajgranda, I don't see the beavertail hindering concealed carry with a proper holster. I've been toting it around the house in my waistband most of the day and almost forgot it was there to be honest. As for helping with recoil, I like it as a hammer bite stop. Got nailed by a buddies PX4 Storm 3 times before I knew I was bleeding, hehe. The trigger on it is a beauty, almost hate to send it off to have anything done to it. Will update once I get some quality range time with it.

GM
    Congrats to the new SIG. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Enjoy your P220! I love mine - might be the favorite of my collection.

Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links