I do not get it.

I do not get it.

This is a discussion on I do not get it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I know this has probably been discussed before but I just do not get it. After my buddy found out I was caring ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I do not get it.

Ok so I know this has probably been discussed before but I just do not get it.

After my buddy found out I was caring my .380 last night and not my Para, we got into the heated mouse gun debate. I know that many of us feel that you should carry your mega blaster with you at all times but sometimes (like last night) when your out with the wife’s the dress code does not allow for it, and as I had a weapon on me he did not.

So I guess what I am looking for is the short answer. Would you rather pack something small and as some think worthless or not carry at all?

VIP Member
    A .380 is far better than a pocket knife. If you can't pack the Para, go with the .380.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

What I carry under any particular circumstance is what I feel comfortable carrying. About what anyone else thinks of my decision, I could not care less.

I feel the same way about what other people carry.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I think the advice "Biggest caliber you're efficient and comfortable with" is pretty good. A .380 is larger and more deadly than no bullet.

Something is better than nothing.

Your just fine.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Seriously that's a no brainer, a .380 or a pocket knife? The .380 would win every time.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    If you need one, any gun is better than no gun.

Personally, I do not care for the "mouse" guns, because I can't grip them properly. I have BIG hands. I do, however, carry a smaller gun on those occasions you described - G36 instead of Colt.

Some people just do not like the .380 round for various reasons. You make those decisions for yourself. Let others worry about what they carry.

Be confident in your carry piece and live your life.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'll carry a .380 any day over something smaller or nothing at all. I don't get it either. A couple or three .380 shots to the chest will do the trick, it's been doing it for years, at least since 1908.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the answer is obvious, but let me throw a curve into the answer.

carry the mousegun but keep your EDC locked in a lock box in the car. If TSHTF then the mousegun is to get you to the car. The EDC is to get you home.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    A .380 is far better than a pocket knife. If you can't pack the Para, go with the .380.
    I agree with a caveat.

The caveat being, many people don't "think" they can carry their bigger gun, but that's only because they don't have the proper holster and belt to do so, or make allowances for the properly fitted clothing.

I dress around the gun, not the other way around, and I don't look out of place, or like Joe the Ragman either, unless I'm going to a place where looking like a Ragman is proper.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; February 5th, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typo

Agree with last post also. Tell your buddy to shoot the bad guy with his gun he has with him at all times....oh wait the big gun is at home. My Fiancee understands my wardrobe revolves around my carry not the other way around. Luckily...I have a j-frame for pocket carry in certain situations. But she understands when I strap on the G23 or P228...i will dress for to carry, not carry if dressed a certain way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I agree with above. Any gun on you beats the one left behind. A hot .380 well placed should be adequate. Bigger is better, but I still wouldn't feel unprotected.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    What I don't get is where he gets off giving you a hard time for what size gun you are carrying, when he is unarmed at the time??? Doesn't quite make sense to me. What size is your choice, as is when and where, but it seems to me like he is living in a glass house and throwing stones, while you live in a nice secure apartment or townhouse.
    Walk softly ...

A quality pistol in .380 is better than not carrying. There are .380s that in my opinion are NOT better than no gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I agree with a caveat.

The caveat being, many people don't "think" they can carry their bigger gun, but that's only because they don't have the proper holster and belt to do so, or make allowances for the properly fitted clothing.

I dress around the gun, not the other way around, and I don't look out of place, or like Joe the Ragman either, unless I'm going to a place where looking like a Ragman is proper.

Biker
    Beat me to it.

People tend to think that all that they can conceal is a eeny-weeny pistol...when the reality is, it's usually not that hard to conceal a larger pistol in a heavier caliber.

But, that's me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links