738 TCP Range Report and slide issues

This is a discussion on 738 TCP Range Report and slide issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, Was at my dealer week before Christmas and he had just received two 738s. Price was 299 plus tax. After handling the gun in ...

Thread: 738 TCP Range Report and slide issues

All,

Was at my dealer week before Christmas and he had just received two 738s. Price was 299 plus tax. After handling the gun in the display case, decided it was built well, felt better than my P3AT and I couldn't live without the slide latch. So I worked a trade.

Dealer went in back to get me the other 738 still in the box. I checked to make sure everything was there, but didn't really look at the pistol other than to verify serial number. Paid and took it home.

Got a chance to shoot it second week of January and was really pleased. Accuracy was good at 7 yards, recoil seems tamer than the Keltec and the grip doesn't tear at my fingers like the Keltec checkering does. The trigger pull is much lighter than the Keltec and easier to keep on target. Really like the slide latch.

Had a few FTF in 50 rounds of ball, and the magazine release got stuck a few times but wasn't too concerned. Figured it needed a good cleaning plus it was colder than heck at the time. Also ran two magazines of Pow R Ball through it with no problems.

Next day pulled it out and stripped it down for a good cleaning. That's when I found a bunch of issues with the slide. Looks like someone took a grinder to it and really jacked it up.

Slide_1 photo is bottom of slide. Looks like someone tried to square out the slide stop and ended up running the grinder all away across the bottom of the frame, cutting into the steel.

Slide_2 photo looks like they tried to square off the area where the take down pin goes and again, took out too much metal.

Slide_Front photo shows a big nick where the recoil spring guide goes.

Slide_Left and Slide_Right photos show you can actually see the damage without tearing it down.

The edges on the rear of the slide are jagged, but I couldn't get a clear picture.

Major lick on me. If I had bothered to check it out when I purchased, I might have noticed something was up.

Called Taurus Thursday and the had a FEDEX guy pick it up Friday. I enclosed these same photos to show my areas of concern. In my mind, only way to repair is a new slide.

I've had a PT145 for over a year and been extremely happy. Alternate carry between that and a Glock 26. The 738 is going to be my summer shorts gun.

Will let you know how it turns out.
    Attached Images

Hope they fix it for you!

I've learned the hard way not to buy any new gun the first year it comes out...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    I am sorry about that. Hopefully they will fix the problems.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I was leaning toward buying a TCP. Think Im leaning toward the LCP now.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thats crazy! My TCPs fit and finish are fantastic and the gun is flawless. I hate to see that. JUst a reminder to break the gun down and inspect it before you buy it.

I hope they get it back to you quickly. The TCP is the most accurate pocket gun I have ever shot.

What a bummer, I hope Taurus makes it right to your satisfaction. If you could have known some way of all the trouble you were going to have, I am sure that you would of hung on to your Kel Tec P3AT.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've learned the hard way not to buy any new gun the first year it comes out...
    Me, too... I guess that's one of life's lessons we all must experience...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hope you get it taken care of. The people that have had to send theirs in to customer service have been taken care of quickly.

Why is it that I am the only person that has never had a problem with any of my Taurus guns? And I have had ALOT of them....
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    Why is it that I am the only person that has never had a problem with any of my Taurus guns? And I have had ALOT of them....
    Yes you do own a lot of them and glad you have had no problems. Personally I dont own any Taurus guns...just not my taste.

Sorry to hear about the QC issues and I hope Taurus and the dealer does the right thing and takes care of this guys issues quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    No problems? I see a problem already. One of them is pink.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Finally got it back..

Finally got this 738 back. Took a little over six weeks. Paperwork says Taurus replaced the entire slide.

Disassembled the weapon and while it is in much better shape than the original, don't know if I'd brag too much about being made in America.

Looks like they ship the slides loose and they get banged up in shipment plus there is one obvious spot around the slide stop shows grinder marks. Not as bad as the last but you can still see it.

As long as it shoots well, probably wont send it back but it's my last Taurus product.

I really want to buy a slim 709, but I still cant get over the millenium 745 that turned out to be junk. Taurus has some great ideas for guns, but the quality stinks. I think they are getting better. If SA would make a single stack XD the same size of the 709, they would have a winner.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I like my TCP just fine, can't say the same for my 709 though.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Looks like your gun was re-worked at the factory.

Sponsored Links