mouse gun question

mouse gun question

This is a discussion on mouse gun question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend told me a 22 mag is almost as deadly as a 38 special. Is that even remotely accurate?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

mouse gun question

A friend told me a 22 mag is almost as deadly as a 38 special. Is that even remotely accurate?
    II Kings 2; 23-25

Given that there are no meaningful degrees of "dead", yep... along with any other firearm caliber.

"Mouse guns" tend to be .25 / .380 / 9mm though so perhaps your question is incomplete?

VIP Member
    You can theoretically kill a grizzly with a .22, but it wouldn't be my first choice if one is charging me.

Does that answer your question?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Caliber is relitive, shot placement is key. You can shoot a guy 20 times with a .40 and he may still be alive even though the same guy, absent the 20 or more holes would be killed instantly with a .22. I carried a .25 for a time, I did not feel under gunned because I could hit where I wanted every time, but I opted for a larger gun, and well, went with a .38.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

a lot of different things have been killed with a 22 mag. shot placement is key with any caliber. i bet this thread will go a long ways.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have shot squirrels with a 22 mag and a 38... both squirrels were dead after..so yes they are and can be just as deadly.

Seriously... any caliber can be just as deadly as the next if shot placement is good.

It's true that placement is key, but bigger is better in bullet world. You won't be doing precision shooting with your pulse at 180 and terrified for your life.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

It really does not matter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
    A friend told me a 22 mag is almost as deadly as a 38 special. Is that even remotely accurate?
    I would say that is remotely accurate - but also meaningless. If the 22 mag penetrates something vital the target may die - but it may take quite a while. It is pretty common for a person shot with a 22 to not realize they have been shot - e.g., President Ronald Reagan. On the other hand, a person shot with a .45 will almost certainly know immediately they have been shot, and will probably react accordingly by hitting the ground like a sack of bricks.

So killing power is kind of a useless measure for a self defense weapon. You will get little relief if your attacker dies from a gunshot wound an hour after he beat you to death with a baseball bat.

VIP Member
    I'd say the 22mag is as deadly as a .38. But there's a big difference between killing a threat and stopping a threat...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

"You will get little relief if your attacker dies from a gunshot wound an hour after he beat you to death with a baseball bat."

Agreed! If you're going to shoot the guy, go ahead and hit him hard.

I think most people overlook the biggest variable in a SD situation; the psychological affect of being shot. My guess is a person shot with a 22 mag will stop what they are doing and run or sit down. Anyone shot knows that they may die and the survival instinct takes over.

Having said that I generally carry a .38 or 9mm, mostly due to pistol size and weight considerations, but choose a .45 ACP for home and vehicle. Would I hesitate to shoot with a 22 Mag; not for one second, but if I had a choice going into a gun fight I wouldn't be carrying a pistol anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre03 View Post
    I think most people overlook the biggest variable in a SD situation; the psychological affect of being shot. My guess is a person shot with a 22 mag will stop what they are doing and run or sit down. Anyone shot knows that they may die and the survival instinct takes over.

Having said that I generally carry a .38 or 9mm, mostly due to pistol size and weight considerations, but choose a .45 ACP for home and vehicle. Would I hesitate to shoot with a 22 Mag; not for one second, but if I had a choice going into a gun fight I wouldn't be carrying a pistol anyway.
    I think it is easy to overemphasize the psychological effect...after all, in order for said effect to work, one must realize they've been shot...personally, I'd think there's abetter chance of that happening with a larger caliber than a .22 out of a pistol.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I got a .22 Mag SA 6-1/2 in barrel, That with a 45gn JSP is accurate out to 25
    yards & would do some damage, Though I carry a 9mm ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member
    I had an AMT 22 mag pistol. It was unreliable (put that in bold), and ammo was difficult to find - I found that annoying.

It was also on the large end of the size spectrum, way too much metal for that kind of firepower to even consider carrying. Sold.

I have stated before, you do not always get to pick optimum placement, proper grip, proper stance, etc. One variable you can control is caliber and load when carrying a defensive handgun. Choose wisely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links