S&w 638

This is a discussion on S&w 638 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey gang.....I know I'm getting to be a pain in the rear with these questions concerning .38s but I just looked at a S&W 638. ...

Thread: S&w 638

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

S&w 638

Hey gang.....I know I'm getting to be a pain in the rear with these questions concerning .38s but I just looked at a S&W 638. It really felt good and really liked the trigger action. I had asked you guys about the 642 before but what do you guys feel about the 638? I'm hoping to get something by tomorrow. THANKS a million!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Hey gang.....I know I'm getting to be a pain in the rear with these questions concerning .38s but I just looked at a S&W 638. It really felt good and really liked the trigger action. I had asked you guys about the 642 before but what do you guys feel about the 638? I'm hoping to get something by tomorrow. THANKS a million!
    638 is DA/SA and 642 is DA only.
    the 638 would be my choice.looks a little goofy tho.
    642 is good to if you want double action only.

dont know why it was quoted.
    sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    638 is DA/SA and 642 is DA only.
    the 638 would be my choice.looks a little goofy tho.
    642 is good to if you want double action only.
    Are you referring to the shrouded hammer? That's why I bought mine. Allows for pocket carry with easy withdrawel. Anyway, I vote for the 638, great trigger action and an accurate snubbie.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I got me one today...... Great BUG and or Primary with my LCP backing it up. Very please with my decision.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the 638. Shrouded hammer feels very confident compared to the Taurus 851. That open groove is a lint magnet however. I don't regret my purchase for one second, though. A very high quality piece.

I also have it fitted with the Crimson Trace LG-185 (left over from the Taurus 851), which makes for an impressive combo of small size and trustworthy function.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Are you referring to the shrouded hammer? That's why I bought mine. Allows for pocket carry with easy withdrawel. Anyway, I vote for the 638, great trigger action and an accurate snubbie.
    yeah,i was referring to the shrouded hammer.
    I already have an LCR so my reasoning behind wanting a 638 is to have the option of the hammer if i want single action.
    the 642 is a great carry option also.no snags and no pocket debris to worry about.as much

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Thanks everyone. I just bought the 638. Hope to shoot it tomorrow. Sure do like the feel of it.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new 638... S&W Snubs are the gold standard...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links