Mousegun issue

This is a discussion on Mousegun issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh I'm gonna get it for this one . Here's the deal, I was shooting a Beretta .32 ACP, and just picked it up and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mousegun issue

Mousegun issue

Oh I'm gonna get it for this one .

Here's the deal, I was shooting a Beretta .32 ACP, and just picked it up and shot. I wound up with 3 stitches in my hand b/c of slide bite. To say I took a lot of flak for that would be an understatement. In the following weeks, since the subject was fresh, and even this past week, I've had numerous numerous people confess that they too have been bitten repeatedly by their mouseguns, including a couple of firearm instructors - all 3 of us have scars to show. A couple of people have confessed they've about put theirs away for good.

Now the injury wouldn't have taken me out of a fight, but it certainly was disconcerting. I know it was my own fault for not getting a good grip on the gun, since I had plenty of time, but if you're trying to draw on some dirtbag, do you really want to have to think (or are going to) about your grip that much - especially grabbing out of your pocket. For those that have mouseguns, do you practice a quick draw from your pocket or however you carry yours? Can you consistently get a good grip from your carry method or do you have to adjust your grip once the gun is out of your pocket?

For now, I'm thinking the smallest I would go is a P11, Kahr, Robaugh except as a 2nd gun. Maybe/probably it's a training thing, but when checking out/adjusting holsters, one thing is positioning the holster to get your grip right every time you reach for your pistol. Just don't see how you can do that with a mousegun.

Thanks for the thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

It just took a little practice for me. I've never had a problem drawing any pocket gun I've owned. Seecamp, Kel-Tec, Kahr, etc.

Some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I know it was my own fault for not getting a good grip on the gun ...

For those that have mouseguns, do you practice a quick draw from your pocket or however you carry yours?
    Well, "quick" is relative. I tend not to draw very fast, certainly not compared with some. I tend to draw fairly deliberately. I tend to get a good grip on the firearm initially and only then start the draw. Speed is fine, but not if it's going to bite you. Meaning, not if it's going to result in a poor grip that cannot be relied upon the moment the gun is fired.

Maybe/probably it's a training thing, but when checking out/adjusting holsters, one thing is positioning the holster to get your grip right every time ...
    Yes, the position of the gun matters. For those who IWB/OWB, it can be largely resolved by holster design, via the cant that's built into the holster.

For pocket carry, there's also the risk of it moving around in the pocket. No pocket holster I've found perfectly places the gun in the center, upright, ready to go in all situations.

With smaller "backup" guns, I pocket carry. I always have a properly made holster whose size is adjusted around the size and shape of pockets I wear. So, they tend to perform well. But then, I've been doing this for 15yrs.

Dry-fire, practice draws, practice from concealment ... All of it helps. A "blue" (training) gun that fits your holsters might work for you. Practice drawing from concealment with the "blue" gun several times a week, for a few months. It will become second nature.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would say that your experience is probably widespread in the mouse-gun shooting community and one of the compromises one makes when choosing a gun of that size. Lets face it, when a gun is the size of your hand yet you are not allowed to touch the entire upper 1/3 of the gun while using it, you can expect this type of thing. In my opinion this just proves the old saying that you must practice with what you carry so that it becomes second nature. There is a trade-off for every decision we make when carrying. A larger, more comfortable grip prints more, is heavier and is more likely to be left at home. A smaller gun will have more recoil and be tougher to hold on to but will is probably more likely to find its way into your pocket than a 3lb chunk of steel.

I've shot thousands of rounds through a Beretta bobcat, when I first got it, I got bit every now and then. I got used to it and haven't been bitten for years. Shoot it some more, it will become 2nd nature.

I think that hand sizes have a bit to do with it as well.

If you have larger hands...and/or, dare I say, "fleshy" hands (me personally, well, I've got big, fat mitts), mouseguns and even some larger pistols such as Walther PPK's can bite, especially if one isn't concentrating on it.

People with smaller/less meaty hands may not to have this problem as much, I don't know...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Wife and I both carry Kel Tec P3ATs and neither of us have had any issue at all with slide bit after many rounds.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I own and have owned alot of mouseguns and never have been bitten.. I think it is hand placement... but I don't have overly large hands...

I've never had an issue with my Kahr PM9. The grip lends itself quite nicely to getting the hand positioned properly. It's the little KelTec P3AT that I have to watch out for. Come to think of it I own a Beretta 950BS that would leave a mark unless it's gripped right. The PM9 is about as small a pistol that I carry now.
    Join the NRA.

Mousegun issue

I have a Kel Tec P-32 and a Beretta Tomcat Inox 32. No problems with slide bite on either pistol. Perhaps you have very large hands or your grip is high.

My Colt Govrnment Mod 380 doesn't bite. Kicks more than a mid size 380 should.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Lucky so far, so I will not laugh at you or my other mousegunner sisters or brothers.

Would a Ruger SP101 in 2,25 in. barrel come in to play on mousegun issues????? In .357 mag cal at that. richgp100z

VIP Member
    It it's any consolation, bigger guns bite too. Even my G19 has bit me. I just have a tendancy to grip it too high on a quick-draw.

I'll either get it right, or eventually there wont be any meat left at the base of my thumb. Either way, problem solved .

That's pretty good. I know and have seen all manner of pistols bite. Typically at the range there's no issue b/c you have plenty of time to acquire a proper grip and it's (typically) easier to get a good grip on a bigger pistol. My concern was with quick drawing in a defensive situation - whole 'nother ball of wax.

Rich - no problem with revolvers as there's no slide coming back to rip a chunk of hide out of your hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links