Kimber Magazine Failure = Lost Confidence.

This is a discussion on Kimber Magazine Failure = Lost Confidence. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What little confidence I've ever had in semi-autos is now gone. Hubby and I went to the range today, me with the new Model 65 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Magazine Failure = Lost Confidence.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Kimber Magazine Failure = Lost Confidence.

What little confidence I've ever had in semi-autos is now gone.
    Hubby and I went to the range today, me with the new Model 65 and him with his Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II(we have twins) that he's had for a little over a year. Well broken in and until now no issues. One his third magazine, he fired a shot and wondered what went flying, for a fraction of a second, until the remaining rounds dropped out onto the bench, along with the bottom plate of the original welded Kimber magazine.
    We were at the range, but this could have been anytime, anywhere, just like some other things that happen anytime, anywhere!!!
    We bought a pair of Wilson Combat magazines, his and hers, but I still don't have the confidence I used to.
    Can you guess what won't be going into my holster anytime soon?
    BTW, no issues with the Model 65, 100 flawless rounds exactly where I intended to put them.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    WOW! A junky Kimber mag, who would have thought.

Go buy a few Cobra Mags from Virgil Tripp; I have used them since 1994 when he gave a few of his prototypes to test out, and I ended up buying them and two others. They seat the bullet higher in relation to the throat of the barrel, thus ending nose dives, they use rocket wire springs and Virgil guarantees them unconditionally......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

My original Kimber mag was, I believe, made of velveeta and toothpicks. Chip McCormick's run fine for me and don't spontaneously disassemble themselves.
    Still Clingin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    What little confidence I've ever had in semi-autos is now gone.
    Well, it shouldn't be. Magazines are the weak link in a semi-auto pistol. I don't care what you're toting, or what you're shootin'. Yep...even Glock! Your first bad experience with a magazine is kinda like your first lucky day fishing. If you like fishing, you can't help but fish. Next time you might not catch a thing. You may see disappointment now and then, but there are plenty of fish to still be caught. Nothing is a sure thing in this world....that's mainly what keeps it interesting, and why we basically want to survive to see the next day. Isn't it? What can go wrong will go wrong when we least expect it. It aint Murphy's law, it's the laws of the universe. In order to avoid the law, and do unto others as they deserve..........keep your chin up kid, and change your karma now.

I've had colt mags fail at the range,I carry wilson 47D mags in my SD gun and mag holder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+1 Ram Rod...

Magazines are disposable....so when it happened, you automatically went into a rapid reload drill, right? This is why you carry a spare...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

TGC
    My kimber mags start causing FTFs...bought Wilson Combat mags...problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    Go buy a few Cobra Mags from Virgil Tripp; I have used them since 1994 when he gave a few of his prototypes to test out, and I ended up buying them and two others. They seat the bullet higher in relation to the throat of the barrel, thus ending nose dives, they use rocket wire springs and Virgil guarantees them unconditionally......
    Absolutely. Best mags I ever handled/used!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Administrator
    I would not lose confidence in an otherwise reliable firearm due to a Kimber supplied magazine.
    They are just absolutely renowned for being "not so great" (putting it politely)

On the plus side there are some amazingly high quality aftermarket magazines available.

Yup, WILSON, the Tripp Cobra Mags, Wolff Gunsprings now has magazines....
    I've never had any problems with MecGar - The Colt factory mags are extra nice now.

I'd just reserve any and all KIMBER magazines for non-critical practice.

I don't get it - Kimber mags are "known" to be poor quality, yet some people still love their Kimbers? The guns are "high quality," but the mags are not??

That would be like buying a car, even though you knew you had to replace the transmission with an aftermarket one, because the ones supplied by the factory are junk.

Sorry, but I look at a gun as a system. If the mags are junk, then the gun is junk. Especially one as expensive as Kimber. They expect you to spend a bunch of money on ammo breaking it in, AND you have to go and buy aftermarket mags to ensure it works?!

I just don't get it. I suppose some folks are suckers for pretty guns, but to me, pretty is as pretty does.

To the OP - hopefully you can find some better mags that will allow you to continue using your Kimbers with confidence. While revolvers are more mechanically reliable than semi-auto pistols, that reliability comes at a price. It's all a compromise, and you need to decide what is important to you. I find Glocks (and XDs and M&Ps) to be as reliable as revolvers. They're not pretty, but they work.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Wilson Combat mags + Kimber = a fine carry piece.

Blaming a lack of confidence in something like a mag failure is like getting rid of a car when it runs out of gas. You had a bad Kimber mag...toss it in the trash and pickup a WC 47D or a ETM, and you'll be fine.
    ANy Kimber mags I get go into the "trade" bag. When I trade/sell a 1911 those are the mags that go with it.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Yup, to stop using semi autos because of this is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Like has been said, kimber mags are not anywhere near the top of the list you just need some (or at least one) good mag(s). Not all 1911 mags are created equal, I certainly would not condemn all brands.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

+1 on Wilson mags, to me they're the gold standard. They run well in both of my Kimbers.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I've always been a wheelie lover. I'll carry the Kimber again someday, but not until I have a few hundred rounds through it with the new Wilson(47D)magazines.
    I shoot all 4 of my carry revolvers, significantly better than the Kimber. That in itself gives me more confidence in them, and I don't carry anything unless it's been range tested, a minimum of 500 rounds.
    The new(used but until today, never fired) Model 65-5 performed exactly as I expected, another 100 rounds of testing tomorrow and it will be on it's way to sharing/taking over the EDC role of the 686+.

Smith & Wesson, the original point & click interface
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links