how much lubrication

how much lubrication

This is a discussion on how much lubrication within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious how much lubrication you all use on your semi-auto handguns. I've always fired rifles on the dry side without issues. In fact I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much lubrication

how much lubrication

Just curious how much lubrication you all use on your semi-auto handguns. I've always fired rifles on the dry side without issues. In fact I hardly put any lube on my M16 when I fire because I have fewer malfunctions that way. It seems like the more lube I use the worse it performs. I'm not sure about pistols and how lubrication will affect wear and tear on the weapon. Do you all know if it's going to damage the weapon or cause above average wear?

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayGun View Post
    Just curious how much lubrication you all use on your semi-auto handguns. I've always fired rifles on the dry side without issues. In fact I hardly put any lube on my M16 when I fire because I have fewer malfunctions that way. It seems like the more lube I use the worse it performs. I'm not sure about pistols and how lubrication will affect wear and tear on the weapon. Do you all know if it's going to damage the weapon or cause above average wear?
    It's a machine, oil it. I hose my race gun, I like lots of oil,

this guy has some interesting thoughts on lubrication. JMHO

Grant Cunningham - custom revolvers for sport and defense
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I had kel-tec p11 that would need lots of oil and a few others XD,GLOCK27,SIG226,SIGP245 that ran better with little oil.
    so I would say that it depends on the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayGun View Post
    Just curious how much lubrication you all use on your semi-auto handguns.
    Depends on the gun, to an extent.

Kahr pistols seem to like a bit more oil. A Browning BDM I had could be run nearly dry, so long as it was clean. A CZ P-01, with just a bit of oil on the rails and key spots. Yes, a bit more wear could be seen on each of these when less lube was used. The slickest, best-performing gun I have ever had was the BDM when greased with small amounts of the Ultima-Lube by Wilson Combat. Partly due to how much wear the gun had seen, and partly due to the excellence of the lube, it ran "like buttah." No pistol I've ever used seemed to hate too much lube. No rifle, either, though I tend to be somewhat spartan in my use of lube on rifles.

In fact I hardly put any lube on my M16 when I fire because I have fewer malfunctions that way. It seems like the more lube I use the worse it performs.
    For the M16/AR15 and variants, I'd suggest trying the Army's guidelines for disassembly and cleaning.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I run my 1911's and both my AR's wet. The Glock and H&K just get a few dabs of TW-25B at the bearing points.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Mine all seem to like it greasy. I use Lubriplate white grease and Mobil-1 ATF on a q-tip. I never have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on the gun, to an extent.

Kahr pistols seem to like a bit more oil. A Browning BDM I had could be run nearly dry, so long as it was clean. A CZ P-01, with just a bit of oil on the rails and key spots. Yes, a bit more wear could be seen on each of these when less lube was used. The slickest, best-performing gun I have ever had was the BDM when greased with small amounts of the Ultima-Lube by Wilson Combat. Partly due to how much wear the gun had seen, and partly due to the excellence of the lube, it ran "like buttah." No pistol I've ever used seemed to hate too much lube. No rifle, either, though I tend to be somewhat spartan in my use of lube on rifles.

For the M16/AR15 and variants, I'd suggest trying the Army's guidelines for disassembly and cleaning.
    Thanks for all the info. I guess maybe I'll try using more lube and see how it performs. As far as Army guidelines for the M16 I have to somewhat disagree. I never pulled out the field manual and did a by the numbers field strip and clean but I know how I was taught and personally my rifles have always performed better drier.

Thanks for the input on "no pistol seemed to hate too much lube" I think I'll do some experimentation.

Wet, but not dripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    It's a machine, oil it. I hose my race gun, I like lots of oil,

this guy has some interesting thoughts on lubrication. JMHO

Grant Cunningham - custom revolvers for sport and defense
    Thanks for the input. I'll see how the pistol operates with more lube.

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    I had kel-tec p11 that would need lots of oil and a few others XD,GLOCK27,SIG226,SIGP245 that ran better with little oil.
    so I would say that it depends on the firearm.
    Seems logical, like I said my M16s didn't seem to like too much.

Thanks for the videos, good info. I noticed what he was saying about oiling an AR15 and how the oil seeps out. In my experience this oil also finds it's way into your eyes which is very bad for your sight picture.

Do you use grease or oil? I ask because the guy from the video recommended grease.

I like synthetic engine oil. It stands up to heat and stays in place longer. I try to stay between needing to be oiled and not bleeding oil. keep oil out of the firing pin incasement, and anywhere it might get in contact with the ammo as well. Too much oil will slow some movements down.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

VIP Member
    AR's love to be wet.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Keep them lubed, not soaked, but slick.
    Join the NRA.

Bob Dunlap has a couple of gunsmithing videos available through AGI, on the AR. Disassembly and lubrication are covered. If you're having troubles, this might be a resource.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Stick em in a 55 gallon drum of oil shake em 3 times,no more than that and put em in my soggy holster,Now back to reality,I usuall clean them with Gunzilla and then using a q-tip apply a small amount of bearing grease to the slide rails,On M16/AR15 use lots of lube,usually breakfree clp on the Bolt Carrier Group,anytime I see somebody with an AR15 at the gun range with FTF FTE issues some lubrication on the bolt solves the problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links