Full mags...

This is a discussion on Full mags... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious, do you guys carry with your mags filled to capacity with your ammo. Like, my S&W holds ( 16+1 ), So, if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full mags...

Full mags...

Just curious, do you guys carry with your mags filled to capacity with your ammo. Like, my S&W holds ( 16+1 ), So, if I keep the mag full with 16 rounds, wouldn't this cause the spring in the mag to wear out quicker? Just looking for some input. Thanks alot

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BmDubb View Post
    Just curious, do you guys carry with your mags filled to capacity with your ammo. Like, my S&W holds ( 16+1 ), So, if I keep the mag full with 16 rounds, wouldn't this cause the spring in the mag to wear out quicker? Just looking for some input. Thanks alot
    This is an old wives' tale. Short-loading has no effect on the life of magazine springs. Considering that the life of a magazine spring is probably 20k rounds, or more, it's not a problem anyway.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I dont think so.
    I believe that continous loading and unloading over and over and etc....would but like stated it would take a loooong time.
    unless their was a defect already I wouldn't worry about it.

cj
    Someone who knows more will probably be along, but I believe the gist is that it's expanding/contracting repeatedly that wears out springs more than simply being compressed.

Old wives tale,,,,I am pretty sure it stemmed from the m-16 magazine springs of yore... Soldiers were told not to top off because of failure to feed etc...I had some of my Soldiers (strangly all from the south) doing this in Iraq I schooled them pretty quick...The magazines are meant to hold 16 (or whatever you have) and might as well..that one shot might be what you needed...Even if they did compress I would still do it even if it meant buying new mags every 2 yrs.
    Last edited by hengst; February 6th, 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: word left out
    Led By Love Of Country

Load em up...Won't hurt em..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Max it out, load one in the chamber and then top off the mag.

No ill effects to worry about.

I start out with a full mag. My G22 mag is now -2. When I shoot again I will go ahead and empty mag and reload. Having only 10 or 12 rounds in a mag doesn't make me nervous.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I start out with a full mag. My G22 mag is now -2. When I shoot again I will go ahead and empty mag and reload. Having only 10 or 12 rounds in a mag doesn't make me nervous.
    I was wondering why you would be -2. Short trip to the range? Snake in the back yard?

Or, unloading the chambered round after carry?

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have always carryed and stored in certain situations full mag's with no problems. They are made to take it, the quality OEM'S anyway. Probably most after market mag's too, although note I said probably. Don't know for sure. Good question.

Mags always filled to capacity with one in the tube.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    +1 Load em all up.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    What wears them out is the cycling compressed and relaxed. It's a materials and physics thing. Cycle life and strength are the important characteristics. They are designed to be fully loaded and doing so does not go past their maximum deflection that would cause permanent deformation.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links