My new nightstand/ field gun

This is a discussion on My new nightstand/ field gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Traded my colt xse lightweight commander in several weeks ago for a new model 627 eight shot 357 mag, built on a stainless steel N ...

Thread: My new nightstand/ field gun

Traded my colt xse lightweight commander in several weeks ago for a new model 627 eight shot 357 mag, built on a stainless steel N frame. While I liked the colt, it was not 100% reliable and often failed to go into battery after it heated up with even ball ammo. Also I always worry about spring fatigue in the magazine. Anyway, since I am a revolver fan and avid reloader, I put some cartridges together using the oregan trail laser cast 158 grn semi wadcutters over a generous dose of unique. At 10 yards I was able to shoot the x out of the half sized humanoid target, and at 25 yds if I did my part, it would hold them in the 10 ring. The double action is very quick to cycle due to the 8 shot cylinder, and the close location of the bolt catches. This is a very heavy revolver at 45 ounces, but it can handle the hottest loads would ease. their is virtually no recoil due to the frame size and heavy barrel. Another plus I have found is it shoots 38 loads equally as well, which is uncommon for alot of 357 mags due to increased bullet jump to the forcing cone. While this revolver will not lend itself well to concealed carry, for those who like revolvers but want capacity, this would fit the critera nicely. And when you have this in your hand, it is a very contended feeling due to anyone on the wrong size of it will see it and know that you are holding A GUN! I plan on carrying this inthe field while riding my horse or 4 wheeler. It could also serve well in the hunting fields with the right loads. So if anyone is in the market for a great, shootable all around revolver for everything, I think this is an impressive piece of steel. I will use it in a couple of weeks for coyotes and will report on its performace for those who are interested.

TGC
    I have a 627 7-shot...like it alot. I did change out the grip. The original grip wasn't comfortable for me because it went up too high behind the trigger guard for my liking. I put on a Hogue and that problem was fixed. I really like mine.

Mine came with the hogues. What do you primarly use yours for?

Links