Question for Glock experts

This is a discussion on Question for Glock experts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. I bought a NIB Glock 27 on this past friday. I just got through shooting 20 rounds through it and after recovering the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Glock experts

Question for Glock experts

Hey guys. I bought a NIB Glock 27 on this past friday. I just got through shooting 20 rounds through it and after recovering the casings, I discovered 2 of them had split almost the length of the casing. I inspected all the others and they all seem to have a slight bulge on one side. I didn't want to continue shooting the gun if this is danger in any way. I was shooting 165 gr. WWB that I bought probably 4 months ago. Is this gun safe to shoot or do I need to call Glock about getting it fixed or replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

2. Remove Ads

There is defintley something wrong. It is most probably the barrel is not supporting the case head enough to contain it under pressure of the charge ignition, a common problem for glocks earlier in their production of the 40 s&W cartridge chambered barrels. The reliabilty that glocks are known for come with the trade off of very loose chamber tolerances. I would send it back to glock along with several of the spent brass and let them rectify it. Just to be sure, shoot some of those cartridges in some elses 40 and see if it happens, and you will know for sure that its not a factory defect in the rounds. My money is on the barrel. DO NOT FIRE YOUR GLOCK UNTIL IT IS FIXED!

I have fired some through my HK P2000 with no such problems. When I took the barrel out of the Glock, I took an unfired round and put in it and it would move around a bit. I don't have my P2000 on me right now to see if it does the same thing.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

It is probably a grossly out of tolerance barrel. Glock should be quick to fix that as there has been alot of bad press for them over what is known as the KA-BOOM factor, where the glock 40s have been known to explode in the users hands.

That is exactly what I don't want to happen.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    DO NOT FIRE YOUR GLOCK UNTIL IT IS FIXED!
    +1 Get it checked out. Something is wrong.

Had a 27 for years and shot 4-500 WWB 165's with no problems. As mentioned Glocks will leave a slight bulge above the extractor cut but sounds like you are past that point. It could be the ammo but sounds like the chamber is over sized or the barrel is coming out of battery too soon. Both are send back to Glock repairs. I know how frustrating it is to have a new pistol act up right out of the box but don't jeopardize yourself or others.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Call Glock and tell them about it.
    Thay may send you a new barrel to drop in and save you the time of sending it back to be checked out.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Guys, this sucks. I finally break down and buy a Glock and this happens. Kinda makes me think I should have spent the extra and got the P2000sk, but I will give them a chance to make it right. I suppose I will get to see how good their customer service is.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Guys, this sucks. I finally break down and buy a Glock and this happens. Kinda makes me think I should have spent the extra and got the P2000sk, but I will give them a chance to make it right. I suppose I will get to see how good their customer service is.
    If it's not an ammo problem...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If it's not an ammo problem...
    I just checked that. My wife got here with my P2000 and fired the other 30 rounds from the box with no split casings and no bulging. I guess I will give Glock a call first thing in the morning, but now I am fixin to start prepping food for the COLTS SUPER BOWL VICTORY. Thanks everyone.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I would be interested on how this goes. If it's not ammo then? I don't have enough Glock experience as an owner to offer advice other than the obvious. Let us know, and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Hey guys. I bought a NIB Glock 27 on this past friday. I just got through shooting 20 rounds through it and after recovering the casings, I discovered 2 of them had split almost the length of the casing. I inspected all the others and they all seem to have a slight bulge on one side. I didn't want to continue shooting the gun if this is danger in any way. I was shooting 165 gr. WWB that I bought probably 4 months ago. Is this gun safe to shoot or do I need to call Glock about getting it fixed or replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe your chamber is out of spec. If your pistol shot the rounds, and extracted them with no problem, then it's more than likely the ammo. QC aint what it used to be due to job cuts and the economy. Seriously, I would try another brand of ammo (I know...maybe easier said than done). Thing is, rule out at least one factor here. You didn't actually have a malfunction of the pistol here, so again....I'd look to the ammo. I save my spent brass as well, a split case would worry me as well, but that's usually due to over pressure on the cartridge. Hope you've saved your boxes the ammo came in. This alone may pinpoint the problem or a possible future recall of the lot. By no means am I suggesting that your pistol is completely not at fault. Granted, I swear by Glocks, but in manufacturing processes, some things will slip by scrutiny, even though all Glocks come now with two fired casings in the box.
    Personally, I use quite a bit of WWB ammo in 9mm and 45acp for range practice or competition. I seldom see it in 40S&W here. My best advice? Quit shooting your G27 until you know what's going on. I would give Glcok a call for sure. Have your serial number ready. 1-770-432-1202

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I shoot white box 50% of the time and you seldom have issues with white box
    but when glock mentioned in the same sentence I say check ammo real close
    before pistol the problem.I am not a fan of 40S&w.

all glock 40 barrels do not give full case support. that is why you get a slight bulge at the case head area. this is normal. take the barrel out, drop a round in and take a look, you will see the area when the barrel does not give support. so the bulge in the case is normal. now for the split case, who knows. any case in any gun can split at any given time. could be a over charge from the factory, could be weak brass at the mouth, could be many things. if the chamber is somewhat over size the brass should fill the chamber and be larger/rounder than it normal size. split brass is a sign of over pressure, a hot load, and/or weak brass. you say when you droppped a round into the chamber it moves around, this is normal, all barrels do this. if not then you could not get a round to chamber. have you talked with the store where you got the gun from?? they are your first place to go to with a problem with a week old gun. you could call glock, they will want you to send them the gun and they will keep it for several weeks. but, a slight bulge in the brass of any glock 40 is normal and split cases happen.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links