Need some help on a future purchase - Page 2

Need some help on a future purchase

This is a discussion on Need some help on a future purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mr. orange Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys, I think i am going to start giving the Sigs a good ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help on a future purchase

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys, I think i am going to start giving the Sigs a good look ( if i can find one around 500-600 dollars). Also to those Sig people out there, what are your thoughts on buying a used one? anything particular I should get when going over a used Sig? ( minus field stripping because i would have no idea where to start )
    Certified Pre-Owned Sigs are available at most Sig dealers. These pistols have been sent back to Sig and have been test and certified. They come with the same warranty as new pistols. My P239 is used, but was not Certified Pre-Owned. The dealer showed me how to strip the pistol so that I could see what I was getting. On a Sig this is easy. Pull the slide back and lock it. Push the take down lever to the vertical position (it locks into place). Pull the slide back slightly and let it slowly go forward until it comes off. Piece of cake. In fact the easiest take down I have seen.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

If your dealer doesn't know or isn't willing to show you how to field strip any pistol you intend to buy from him/her, go elsewhere. There's nothing special to look at on SIGs, from what I have seen they're very forgiving of poor maintenance and if you do have trouble, SIG will take care of you. One big thing to look at on any used pistol is modifications. I have seen too many examples of good guns that were badly, but not obviously, 'customized' by their former owners. One was a Colt Government with a high ride beavertail safety whose frame had not been recontoured to match the safety. It also had a kitchen table trigger job that I wouldn't have trusted. Another was a SIG P220 with an aftermarket trigger system. The trigger itself was narrower than stock and the beautiful, crisp, light SIG single action pull had been butchered into a creepy, heavy uncomfortable monstrosity. Unless you know the gun's entire history, I would strongly recommend that you stay away from a gun that has been modified. Buy one that's still in stock configuration and make your own changes if necessary.

The P239 is a great choice for lightweight carry, although it's not too small. Finding a used one could be a challenge, they're not as common as other SIG models. Good luck in your search.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links