Need some help on a future purchase

This is a discussion on Need some help on a future purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just decided that I am going to buy myself a new pistol when I turn 21 in a couple of months and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help on a future purchase

Well I just decided that I am going to buy myself a new pistol when I turn 21 in a couple of months and I thought I was dead set on a glock 19 but I'm not sure about the 9mm and as I am currently a 1911 man I'm not too sure how I would adjust to the DAO trigger.
    I basically need some ideas as to a SA or DA/SA auto that is small enough to carry comfortably in the summer heat( the 1911 will be my winter gun).
    The only thing i have found that I like is the cz p01.
    I'm just looking for some ideas.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

I've been carrying a Glock 30 for over 6 months now in a DeSantis Belly Band and it's a breeze to conceal. I can wear it for any occasion and have even worked out with it under shorts and a t-shirt.

i looked at the rami and the po1, but i bought a pcr instead.

i liked it better, but ymmv. you might look at one of those.

my wife carries a s&w 908 sometimes. only a single stack, but it's a nice carry gun.

Assistant Administrator
    Boring tho it may be to repeat this - I can but stress the need and benefit from trying stuff out. Handling at least and shooting if poss'.

There are so many very fine platforms out there and you need to try as many as you can. Then too of course realize what might work within an budgetry constraints.

Could be many choices you could like but do not discount DA or DA/SA - you might find adapting takes very little time.

A 229 SIG might be good for size and worth a look, tho prices quite high.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something that isn't subcompact(they don't fit my hands well) but a compact is fine. Thanks for the suggestions though I may have to give them a look anyways.

Assistant Administrator
    Ah well - maybe then still thinking SIG , a 228.

Chris - P95

try to find and shoot as many as you can

Im a 1911 man for sure and find the glock trigger easy to use for my taste and am in the process of picking up a Sig 229 SAS with the DAK trigger it feels better than a glock trigger

You could also look at a glock 23 for the 40 short and weak but size of a 19

VIP Member
    Come on Chris, tell him about the best Sig. One that is compact and is available in 9mm, .357Sig, or .40. The P239 is 27.5 oz., 6.6" long, 5.2" tall, 1.2" wide with a 3.6" barrel. The 9mm is 8+1 rounds, the .357Sig and .40 are 7+1.

Mine in the picture above is the SA/DA model and a dream pistol.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    True George - worthy of consideration - as long that is, a single stack cuts it - tho I still regard that 239 as almost sub compact.

Great for CCW tho.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    True George - worthy of consideration - as long that is, a single stack cuts it - tho I still regard that 239 as almost sub compact.

Great for CCW tho.
    At 5.2" tall it misses subcompact by a bit. Most people won't have their pinky hanging off of it. If it does buy the 10 round 9mm or 9 round .357Sig/.40S&W mag.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

IMO stick with the 1911 you can't go wrong. If your looking for something shorter then try a 4" 1911. I carry my full size 1911 year round and wouldn't trade it for anything. Before giving up the 1911 for the summer try some other holsters like a iwb.

In my hands the 239 feels like a sub compact 229 feels much better than the 239 i fondled other day

I started with about 8 guns or so I wanted to try. After the first month I narrowed it down to 3 guns. I went to all the gun shops every friday and made my rounds holding every gun and test driving them (not with live rounds, just dry fire, and operating it). I did this for several months before setlling on a taurus pt-111 mil pro 9mm with 12+1 in a compact, light weight, DAO, no rails, for my conceal only weapon. I am sure the gun shop owners thought I was nuts or casing the joints. But you get what you want and are comfortable with.

What I was checking for on each of the guns was this:

1. Could I reach all the controls with my shooting thumb - safety, slide release, and mag drop. I mean rack the slide back and lock it open and see if you can actually release the slide using your thumb. Do you need the help of your other thumb ?? Is your other hand always going to be able to help if you need it, does your weak hand carry the flashlight or mace or something else. It shouldn't, both hands should be on the weapon, IMO. Can you drop the mag from a shooting position, do you have to rotate the weapon in order to operate the mag release ?? Can you operate the safety as you are drawing the weapon ?? Does the safety make sense ?? Is it what you are use too ??

2. Could I rack the slide easy if I were in a combat/hostile situation ?? Could it be easly grabed ?? would it tear up my hand if I got a lot of adrenaline going through me and I REALLY grab it, pull, and my hand slips off ?? or I grab the top of the slide, get a partial grip and use the rear sight by accident with part of my hand ??

3. Was there enough grip to hold on too?? Every little bit helps. Is it comfortable ?? does it feel good in the hands ?? One gun shop I went to actually had a holster for a CZ RAMI 2075. I strapped on the high ride open top holster and slid the gun in to it and did a couple of practice draws. Loved the gun, the holster, the fit, and the setup, just couldn't get over the small upper slide (which is why I didn't buy it).

4. Is it reliable ?? Are the LEO's carrying it as a backup, primary off duty conceal, or anything else ?? Who else is buying this weapon ?? How is this weapon being bought compared to some of the others ?? Depend on the gun shop owner and how well you know them and how well you know the LEO's, the gun shop owner may tell you anything you want to hear.

5. Rounds. How many rounds is thing holding ?? Does the single stack or double stack fit you better?? Depends on your theory of what type of situation you may find your self in. Do you think your good enough to stop someone with 6+1 and no extra magazine, 12+1 and an extra magazine for a total of 25 shots. Thats your call. I opted for 12+1 and not to carry my extra magazine all the time. All though the jury is still out on this decision. All though I did buy a gun with 12+1 and an extra magazine.

6. Price. Is it worth it ?? only you can answer that. Who has the best deal ?? ALWAYS ask for a lower price, you may be suprised. If you been in there enough, they know you are serious and they know that they are not the only game in town.

7. Warranty. Does this gun have a life time warranty ?? Will it transfer to my buddy when I am ready to move on to something better ??

8. Gun shop. How reliable is the gun shop. After you buy your gun will they help you with problems and getting it sent back ?? will they do it for you ?? or are you on your own ??

9. Does it look cool ?? I mean come on. You have to look it, at least when you clean it !! And some of your friends are going to see it and hold it. Your not going to get friends and family into this if your toting an ugly gun. ;) Also, your going to be carrying this thing 2/3 of the day, you better like it.

-- Buying a weapon is like buying a car. You do your research. Touch as many of them as you can. test drive them if possible. Get in the driver seat. Start it up, push on the gas peadal and make sure it sounds awesome and loud. Turn on the stereo and crank it up. Try out each of the electric windows and door locks. Open and shut all the doors. Look under the hood. And last, kick the tires. You get my drift here.

-- This is a serious piece of equipment you are buying. You and your family's life depends on this piece of equipment !!!

These are just some of my thoughts. I am sure you know all of this. I just thought I would help refresh your memory !! Enjoy the hunt for a new weapon.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys, I think i am going to start giving the Sigs a good look ( if i can find one around 500-600 dollars). Also to those Sig people out there, what are your thoughts on buying a used one? anything particular I should get when going over a used Sig? ( minus field stripping because i would have no idea where to start )

Assistant Administrator
    The SIG is very easy to field strip - no probs there. Slide back to slidelock, rotate the fwd take-down lever 90º clockwise, release slide and take off! Removal of barrel and recoil ass'y is equally easy as is reassembly. Breeze!

Used SIG's are well worth looking for and I have yet to see a high mileage SIG that shows it is terminally worn out! If you gain some idea of a used gun's round count and it is shall we say sub 5,000 then that will still be quite a ''young'' gun.

It's possible if a gun is high mileage and also old in years - a replacement recoil spring would be worth fitting but as for rest of the piece, putting it simply, if it shoots reliably it should be good to go. I cannot right now think of any classic breakages likely.

From new, SIG's are pretty tight slide to frame but even when well loosened up seem to go on rocking. Your budget mentioned should do just fine and a police trade-in from CDNN could be a worthwhile consideration - cosmetically they might be other than pristine but in ''mileage'' terms usually on low side.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links