Glock 27 or Kahr PM40

Glock 27 or Kahr PM40

This is a discussion on Glock 27 or Kahr PM40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 27 and frankly I'm not crazy about it. I don't care for the grip angle or bulk when CC'ing with light ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Glock 27 or Kahr PM40

I have a Glock 27 and frankly I'm not crazy about it. I don't care for the grip angle or bulk when CC'ing with light clothing. Also, my gal has trouble with the size of the grip and she feels it's quite snappy.

So, I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 and absolutely love it. I would like to keep a 40 and am considering trading the 27 for the Kahr.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts with the PM40? Comparisons with the PM9 Vs. PM40, specifically recoil differences. How about recoil diff. between the 27 and PM40? I don't mind the snap but my gal does a bit.

I'm wondering if the slimmer Kahr grip has any perceived reduction in recoil.

Hello, I am new to this site, and this is my first post I have made. I have a number of 40 cal. pistols in my arsinal. Including the Kahr PM40, springfield XD40, CZ100 in 40 cal, and my newest the sig P229 sas genII in 40 cal. I can tell you that there is a big differance in recoil on the PM40 in comparison to the other pistols I listed. After running 20 rounds through the PM 40 I"m ready to put her away. It starts to hurt my hand shooting any more then that. Well I have ran hundreds of rounds through my xd-40 in a long morning. Rudedog

Given the choice of these two, definitely Glock 27. Way more manageable on recoil and better grip.

Quote Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
    Given the choice of these two, definitely Glock 27. Way more manageable on recoil and better grip.
    It might surprise you, and of course this is subjective, but I find kahr's recoil to be very mild. I find my cw9 no heavier on recoil than my xd9 service.

I would go cw40 or p40 personally though, the 40 cal will be better to control with a 3 finger grip and its still very concealable.

If your gal feels the G27 is too snappy, I would bet she would find the PM40 much worse. It's smaller and lighter, so there is less weight to absorb the recoil, and the smaller grip will concentrate the recoil onto a smaller area of the hand.

I had two PM9's and I have fired the PM40. The 9's recoil was no problem, but the .40 was unpleasant to me.

Between the G27 and the PM40, I'd go with the G27, hands down. If the .40 is too snappy, you can convert the G27 to a 9mm by changing the barrel, mags, and ejector.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by TrackReady View Post
    It might surprise you, and of course this is subjective, but I find kahr's recoil to be very mild. I find my cw9 no heavier on recoil than my xd9 service.

I would go cw40 or p40 personally though, the 40 cal will be better to control with a 3 finger grip and its still very concealable.
    I own a Kahr PM9 and it is very manageable and accurate for it's size. The PM40 is another thing, IMHO!

I have owned a PM9, and currently own the G27 and PM40. If recoil is an issue then I would advise against getting a PM40. The 40's just seem to have snappy recoil, if you are looking to buy a gun your girl will be happier shooting I would suggest perhaps an XD9, kahr CW9, or even a walther PPS in 9. My wife is sensitive to the recoil of my 40's but she is comfortable shooting her XD9 sub compact.

What you need to do is find a range that rents some of these guns and try them out, or maybe you have a friend who has some you can try out.

personally, i would take the m&p40 compact before either of those. it has less recoil and higher capacity than either the glock or the khar. dead reliable too.

that's just me though :)

I've owned my PM40 for a couple of years and shoot it at the range at least twice a month, putting about 100 rounds down range each time. Depending on the ammo it can be a handful and it does requires good technique to bring it back on target quickly. That said, I do not find the recoil objectionable and it is one of the fastest and most accurate pistols I own and it is my EDC about 9 months out of the year.

Considering all the negative aspects and reports on the Kahr line of products, I could never trust them or feel comfortable with any of their weapons. There has got to be a very good reason why no military or police departments spec them or they can not even be sold in the state they are made in..

On the other hand, Glock just sold 270,000 G 19's, 9 mm to the Iraqi Security Forces. They wanted nothing to do with the M9 Beretta's we offered them for free. Glock is also the largest supplier of police and public safety professionals in this county as well as around the world.

It seems where lives depend of handguns, Glock is the clear winner. No I am not a Glock Fan Boy just a pragmatic clear thinker that sees facts that are indisputable. You don't really need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9mm View Post
    Considering all the negative aspects and reports on the Kahr line of products, I could never trust them or feel comfortable with any of their weapons. There has got to be a very good reason why no military or police departments spec them or they can not even be sold in the state they are made in..
    - This is due to Massachusett's ridiculous laws more so than the quality of Kahr guns. Seecamp can't sell their normal versions of their guns in California either. It's not due to their quality, as I doubt you'll find a finer quality handgun. BTW, Kahr does offer a model of their gun that can be sold in MA. It simply has a safety and a loaded chamber indicator, neither of which affect the reliability.

http://www.kahr.com/KA-3.html#pm9193

I own both Kahr and Glock.

I think my G27 is my best ccw weapon...... then at other times I think my G23 is the best......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member
    The Kahrs are so attractive for women due to the slim fit, BUT I find the slides very stiff and difficult.

Just today I compared the M&P and a few others to the Kahr and that spring is TIGHT. Have her do some sliding and see what she thinks.

I really want to love the Kahr but between the stiff slide (or my weak hand) and the lower capacity I get drawn in other directions.

cg

CW9

I have shot a PM9 and MK9. The few .40 caliber pistols I have experience shooting, I would as soon have a .45. I decided to buy a Kahr CW9. Full grip and a 3.6 inch barrel. 19 ouches loaded with 7+1. Much better control for me. It will fit in a jean or docker pocket, but because it offers a full grip the grip prints. So not really a pocket pistol. It does carry great in a OWB or IWB holster. Think of it as a semi-auto revolver, the trigger takes some getting used to. It is very flat and thin. After several hundred rounds the slide is some easier to work. I think Kahr makes a great carry pistol.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    The Kahrs are so attractive for women due to the slim fit, BUT I find the slides very stiff and difficult.

Just today I compared the M&P and a few others to the Kahr and that spring is TIGHT. Have her do some sliding and see what she thinks.

I really want to love the Kahr but between the stiff slide (or my weak hand) and the lower capacity I get drawn in other directions.

cg
    Do not worry, you get used to the Kahr’s slide ; when I got my MK9 Elite I felt the slide heavy, but now it is ok. It is not that the spring is that heavy, the reason is the size of the gun.

New MK9:s comes with 2 mags, a 6 rounds and a 7 rounds, but you can buy a 8 rounds mag if you want. So, if you carry it with the 6 rounds mag in order to make it make more concealable then you have 6+1 rounds, and then you carry an extra 8 rounds mag. This combination gives you 15 rounds. Carrying an extra mag is also a good idea in case of malfunctions. The MK9 is a great pistol.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links