Cheap Carry Pistol ?

This is a discussion on Cheap Carry Pistol ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done a ton of reading about concealed carry, and have decided when I turn 21 on Apr. 12, this year, I am going ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Carry Pistol ?

Cheap Carry Pistol ?

I have done a ton of reading about concealed carry, and have decided when I turn 21 on Apr. 12, this year, I am going to apply for my CCW. I would like to have a carry weapon soon after, ultimately purchasing a pistol on or very shorty after my birthday and practicing with it before my permit comes. My biggest problem is money. Having only about 2 months till I can apply I am trying to save every penny I can. What I'm realizing is I probably wont get that shiny new 1911, XDM or glock that I want.

I have been trying to find a cheap little pistol that will do till I can save up more. What I'm finding is small stuff, mostly .22LR or slightly larger (thought small sizes throw me off like the difference between special and not special). I see Kel Tec has a 9mm in the $300 price range, and thats about all I'm looking to spend, $300 or maybe a little more. I know its a tight budget, but I doubt I'll have much more once I figure in cost of my application and any accessories and ammo.

Right now I'm looking at the P22 or something from Kel Tec. The Kel Tec looks like it would be uncomfortable, That I want to hold before I consider it. But any thoughts on caliber and weapon would be greatly appreciated. Should I pick up a P22 or something now, or just go without anything for a while till I can go strait for the XDM or glock ?

I have a remington 870, with knoxx stock... Should I just OC that till i can afford a pistol

I have tried searching, but I've been having trouble with the search and if I do get it to work I don't find what I'm looking for. Sorry if this is a repost. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    With-out much fan-fare, here is what you are looking for---Kel-Tec PF-9 priced right, easy to conceal, 9-mm so it is a capable round, pistol is reliable, it's what you are looking for.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

My first pistol was a Glock 27 when I turned 21. Since I was brand new to guns, I wanted something that was known to be reliable and wouldn't have problems with. It was my EDC for years and years before I switched to smaller and lighter guns (Kahr).

My recommendation, partly because it is one of my favorite CCWs , a CZ82. They can be had for around $200 and are a good weapon, ammo is fairly easy to find in the 9x18 and is a good round in my opinion. If you know a good ffl the transfer should be cheap enough to keep it well below $250. The gun has polygonal rifling, and they are very accurate.

I see you're an EMT - thanks for your service!

That said - not sure you are "allowed" to carry at work.

I paid $289 locally for my Ruger LCP. Fits in a pocket, goes anywhere. Ammo is a bit costly, but is more available than it was a few months ago.

If you can, try before you buy.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Don't drink one Coke a day. In two months, you'll make up the difference to buy a used $350 Glock.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I see you're an EMT - thanks for your service!

That said - not sure you are "allowed" to carry at work.

I paid $289 locally for my Ruger LCP. Fits in a pocket, goes anywhere. Ammo is a bit costly, but is more available than it was a few months ago.

If you can, try before you buy.
    Thanks! Technically I'm an EMT, but I'm still waiting for a call back from the places I applied. I'm calling tomorrow to see whats up.

Honestly, I don't plan to carry at work. I have enough stuff to worry about while on the clock. Plus you never know when you'll have to go to a court house or post office. Then I have to worry about securing it in the truck, dealing with other people going in the truck. crazy patients. I would rather just secure it in my POV before my shift and retrieve it after. That being said, I plan on having it with me every other second of the day.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Kel-Tec PF9
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    That site is cheap. Bookmarked, and I'm flipping through now.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

I would wait till you could get something nice. That way you won't regret it later and end up selling it. Buy used, but go for a good brand.around the 300 range there are some options, sccy, Taurus revolver, keltecs, I had some great luck with buying used. From my local fun shop, and a friend of mine sold me a s&w mod. 60 for 200. Flat. Be patient look around it will pat off.

Go used, not cheap. Ammo will cost much more than the gun, regardless of caliber. Casual shooters can blow $2000 on ammo in a couple of years without realizing it. The CZ82 mentioned by Mauser 1959 is a good gun at a good price. Keep in mind that the 9X18 is very close to the 380. If you will be happy with that and want a medium size gun the CZ82 is a good choice. The CZ will be more fun to shoot than most small 380s.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'll second the CZ 82. Haven't carried it much, but I bought 2 (one for me, one for the wife) and they are very good pistols-accurate, and an above average trigger. Both of mine eat the Silver Bear HPs without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    That site is cheap. Bookmarked, and I'm flipping through now.
    some of the best prices around at this time. good slection of used named brand guns for a good priced.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I'm with AZ, save up, and get the gun you want. Used is always good. I bought my first handgun this year (grandma gave me a S&W 469 on my 21st) and went with a glock 26, got it for a good deal used, and don't regret one bit saving up and getting what I wanted. I figured I'm young (25) and I'll have this gun for a long time, so I wanted something I knew would last a lifetime and was a solid performer.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links