Lint Magnet

This is a discussion on Lint Magnet within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I just bought my 638 this past weekend and love it. But I've read since then that it's a lint magnet. Is this a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lint Magnet

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Lint Magnet

OK I just bought my 638 this past weekend and love it. But I've read since then that it's a lint magnet. Is this a big problem with this gun and is this something that could be a problem?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    OK I just bought my 638 this past weekend and love it. But I've read since then that it's a lint magnet. Is this a big problem with this gun and is this something that could be a problem?
    I have never seen that particular model, but I've had a couple of older J-frames. Unless you keep it in a lint-filled pocket with no holster, I don't understand how it could attract lint. Even if it does, 10 seconds with some compressed air will cure any real or perceived problems.

Or am I missing something obvious?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Yes, any gun can be. But it isnt so much the gun that attracts lint, its the oil on the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, any gun can be. But it isnt so much the gun that attracts lint, its the oil on the gun.
    Yup, and that's why I never wipe down guns with oil. A silicone-impregnated cloth does a much better job and doesn't attract anything.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Not a major problem but the shrouded hammer, (Bodyguard frame) types will collect dust and lint. Check it after pocket carry and blow out any accumulation with canned air. A shaving brush works well for this too. Not a cause for undue concern for you amigo.

Good deal....thanks!
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    I like the ‘sperm whale’ and I never had any problems although I read of one incident. As mentioned, occasional cleaning with compressed air and/or a brush is about it. Removal of the side plate for the same purpose is optional, but I seldom did it when I owned one. Still sorta wish I kept it, as it did pull from a pocket holster easier than my 642.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I carry a 649 in my front right pocket everyday in a Mika holster. Anything in a pocket is going to collect lint. Whenever I change pants I always blow it out, takes just a second to do. I doubt it would keep it from firing, I just hate lint!!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think I am going to test your theory by spraying some Gun Scrubber on my belly button.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, need to clean out the belly-button, the source of all lint!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Those sticky-tape lint rollers work great on inside-out pockets. I was startled at how much lint actually collects in a pocket over time, I had never really looked until I had a lint magnet of my own to put in there.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    Those sticky-tape lint rollers work great on inside-out pockets. I was startled at how much lint actually collects in a pocket over time, I had never really looked until I had a lint magnet of my own to put in there.
    Great suggestion.

Basically, ALL carry guns are going to be lint magnets. I think that blued guns are worse, just because they need more oil (for rust prevention) than a stainless or aluminum.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Great suggestion.

Basically, ALL carry guns are going to be lint magnets. I think that blued guns are worse, just because they need more oil (for rust prevention) than a stainless or aluminum.
    I believe the OPs concern was specific to the hammer shroud on his S&W 638. Apparently he had read something that led him to believe that hammer shrouds on Bodyguard type S&Ws were problem lint catchers. Probably one of those expert opinions one gets on the internet or at gun counters.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I believe the OPs concern was specific to the hammer shroud on his S&W 638. Apparently he had read something that led him to believe that hammer shrouds on Bodyguard type S&Ws were problem lint catchers. Probably one of those expert opinions one gets on the internet or at gun counters.
    You're right wmhawth.....I had read on here somewhere that the 638 hammer shroud was a lint catcher and that was my reason for asking.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Great suggestion.

If one's gun is attracting lint because of an oiled surface, there's too much oil on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links