Kimber Advice/Feedback

This is a discussion on Kimber Advice/Feedback within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a full size 1911 and am thinking of getting a Kimber for warm weather (if it ever stops snowing). How do you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Advice/Feedback

Kimber Advice/Feedback

I've been carrying a full size 1911 and am thinking of getting a Kimber for warm weather (if it ever stops snowing).

How do you guys who own them rate them. Are they as good a shooter as they are lookers.

Do they need moderate to extensive 'smith work to make them really respectable weapons. Would you trust your life with them?

I've been carrying a Series 70 Gold Cup completely rebuilt by the late Austin Behlert. I've never had a hang or stovepipe in over the 10,000 or so rounds I've put thru it, and it's been made to cycle empties. I am very wary of anything "new".

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

2. Remove Ads

My Ultra Raptor is fantastic zero malfunctions.

Your going to get a lot of opinions on this question... so brace

Carries nicely In a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Last edited by TheShadow; February 9th, 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added pic
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    My Tactical Ultra Carry has been flawless. Not everyone here has been so lucky...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The shorter you make a 1911 the bigger chance you take. From any manufacturer serial number xxxxx1 might be wonderful and serial number xxxxx2 a piece of junk. The timing just gets really tight, especially when you get to 3 inch guns.

I personally use a Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II (4" all steel 1911) as my primary carry gun. I've had multiple issues. Nose dive feed jams were corrected by using either Tripp Cobra Mags or Tripp Super 7 upgrades in Wilson magazine tubes (which is what I do now). The gun made multiple trips to Kimber for various reliability issues before I gave up on their smiths.

The seer broke from letting the slide fall on an empty chamber too many times. It was my first 1911. Live and learn. Night Hawk replaced all the internal MIM inerds with forged pieces from the trigger to the hammer. Also, Wilson did a "reliability package" polishing the feed ramp, etc. on it to improve feeding.

I call it my Kimwilhawk.

It still doesn't like any 8 round magazines besides the Tripp mags (feed ramp angle issue). I load it 7 plus 1. However, using the proper mags, it has never had an issue with any ammo under any circumstance no matter how dirty, hot or cold. When chambering a round and riding the slide (yeah, I know I shouldn't) it slides in so silky smooth it's freaky. Now I can't force a feed jam, even if I manually push the first round as far forward and nose down as I can before slowly (or rapidly) closing the slide.

The barrel to slide fit locks up without any slack, so it's incredibly accurate. It has adjustable night sights (the only 4" gun you'll find that on). The trigger (thanks to Night Hawk) is an incredibly crisp 3 pounds 6 ounces with no over travel. Crimson Trace laser grips complete the ensemble.

It would have been cheaper and less hassle to buy a Night Hawk or Wilson in the beginning and have a smith grind down the slide and fit the sites I wanted, but hey, we can't see the future.

I'm currently feeding it Federal HST 230gr standard pressure for self defense and whatever FMJ I can come up with for fun on the range.

I'm about to start reloading again. It will see a lot of 185 and 200 grain LSWC soon. I've shot my friends LSWC reloads with no issues and don't expect any when I load them. I'm not looking forward to cleaning up after a lot of lead bullets, but I'm sick of poor ammo availability and high prices.

Once I got to the bottom of the issues with it, it was great. I haven't had a failure of any kind now in years. However, the first 18 months were pretty bumpy.

If I were to buy a 1911 today, it would be a Springfield (if on a budget) or preferably Night Hawk or Wilson.

JD
    Administrator
    We've had 4 we now only have one. Three of them were "Custom Shop" guns...

Only one of them didn't need a trip to the smith or a couple hundred $$$ worth of ammo trying to break them as well as about $200 in magazines trying to see if the gun was just picky.

I would not buy another.

The barrels are known for rusting easily, QC is hit and miss as well are the reports on customer service.

To me they do not live up to their price tag. I can get a better for either a little less or a little more.

Kimber..................not worth the money IMO.....much better out there.

"It's Not A .45 Unless It Has A Horse On It".............

Had three Kimbers. Never again. The most overhyped, overpriced, rusting, single shot 1911's out there, IMO of course. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    I've been carrying a full size 1911 and am thinking of getting a Kimber for warm weather (if it ever stops snowing).

How do you guys who own them rate them. Are they as good a shooter as they are lookers.

Do they need moderate to extensive 'smith work to make them really respectable weapons. Would you trust your life with them?

I've been carrying a Series 70 Gold Cup completely rebuilt by the late Austin Behlert. I've never had a hang or stovepipe in over the 10,000 or so rounds I've put thru it, and it's been made to cycle empties. I am very wary of anything "new".

Bruce
    The Kimber factory custom models are exceptional quality. I own Kimber and Dan Wesson. Outside of Les Bear I don't know what I could recommend in a 1911 unless you want it totally custom built.
    We can do that too.

888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    I must have lucked out... my Kimber Tactical Pro II has had zero problems. I use Wilson magazines and ran 600 rounds of ball ammo through it before I used HP's and started to carry it. It's been every bit as good as my Springfield Loaded Champion.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Smile

My Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II has been flawless. 300 rounds through so far and no problems. I was leery and warned of buying a Kimbet from people who had problems with them. After through speaking and email responses from many happy Kimber owners I bought mine. Actually the guy who bought my Smith 66 3 inch from me was a retired Sheriff in Lake Tahoe Nevada(he is also an N.R.A. Instructor) he has been shooting Kimber for years . He told me the police dept there all carry Kimbers and love them. When I go to the range to shoot the guys working all praise my gun.Again love my Kimber and recommend it,and it feels great carrying a gun I can depend on,also doesn't hurt that it looks great too!!! Jerry

Last edited by Josser; February 9th, 2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: reformatted text.

My Kimber Pro Carry II is flawless also with several thousand rounds sent downrange. Went to work right out of the case and hasn't stopped since. It has suffered a fair amount of abuse as I'm not the easiest person on my EDC nor do I baby it or clean it as often as I should. Saving up for another one that I'll try to keep purdy.

Good article:
    http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/KimberProCarry.htm
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Here is my review so far. I decided to go all the way with it, so I will be continuing the review after I receive the replacement.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hy-review.html
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Wow sorry you had all that frustration, You deserve the replacement to be good and hopefully it will. Be watching for your updated review. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    Here is my review so far. I decided to go all the way with it, so I will be continuing the review after I receive the replacement.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hy-review.html

I own three Kimbers (one full size, one pro, one ultra). All are exceedingly reliable and easy to shoot. Frankly, I am unable to remember a time when they malfunctioned.

TGC
    I have an Ultra Carry. After 1000 rounds or so, I had to replace the Kimber mags with Wilson. Seems to be very good now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links