My wife and her 642 with laser grips

This is a discussion on My wife and her 642 with laser grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my wife to the range saturday to try out her new 642.(her first gun). I didn't know until then I had married Annie ...

Thread: My wife and her 642 with laser grips

I took my wife to the range saturday to try out her new 642.(her first gun). I didn't know until then I had married Annie Oakly. She shot a 15 round 1.75 inch group at 7 ft. with pmc target ammo. With federal nyclad 125 grn hp that will be her carry ammo she shot a 5 rd
    1.75 inch group at 15 ft with the best 3 being 1\2 inch with 2 of those in the x ring and the other touching it on a b-3 target. She has her ccw class at the end of the month. When she sceduled the class the guy told her she could bring her 642 but would be mostly shooting a 4" 38 because her 642 is not that accurate. I told her to take her targets with her and show him how accurate her 642 was and to see if he could shoot her 642 as good as she did the first time. A lot of people think a woman will not be able to shoot a snubbie like that because they can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. The next trip I'll see how she does at 25 ft.

Why bother with 25 feet.

Teach her self defense shooting just the way she was, at 15 feet and closer.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Administrator
    Its been my experience that women are typically better shooters then men, in particular the beginning stages.
    Men tend to under estimate their abilities and inflate their own, especially on the range. Sorry, I'm not exactly a women's libber type... but I do call 'em as I see 'em.

Snubs can be surprisingly accurate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep you are right on the women. My wife and I are both beginners. She was shooting a 9mm small pistol. I gave her my Kimber Ultra .45 and at 21 feet she shot and hit two bullseyes. and the other 5 shots right around them. My shots were not as good. but I will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its been my experience that women are typically better shooters then men, in particular the beginning stages.
    Men tend to under estimate their abilities and inflate their own, especially on the range. Sorry, I'm not exactly a women's libber type... but I do call 'em as I see 'em.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Good report!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

That has been my experience too, teaching Concealed Carry Classes. Generally, a woman who has never shot before will shoot better than a man who hasn't, and better than many men who have shot before.

Just a couple thoughts why IMHO, I think they listen to instruction better (relates to the men "inflate thier abilities" SIXTO refered too-i.e. they don't already have the-I already know how even if I haven't done it before/much attitude), they don't over think it, they accept constructive criticism better during at the range, and they haven't already learned any bad habits.

Not knocking men and thier shooting abilities, but for whatever reason women are usually better beginning shooters.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

I'm not really surprised...many women seem to have what it takes to outshoot the male of the species.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife's gun is the 642CT; as for not being accurate, at 21 feet (especially with that laser) she could perform vasectomies with that thing.

(imagine this post with Johnny Cash's song "I Walk the Line" playing in the background)

Been thinking of getting wife a S&W 642 with CT.

Have seen some with ported barrels and some w/o ported barrels.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    My wife's gun is the 642CT..... at 21 feet (especially with that laser) she could perform vasectomies with that thing.
    I love my S&W snubby but I think you just talked me out of buying my wife one:)
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

this is true too both claims ... my girlfriend who has never shot a gun in her life until a year ago out shoots my brother and dad who have been shooting guns all their life... It is quite funny because my brother complains like a little infant when it comes to shooting my 40cal... but she picks it up and can shoot very well considering her non-firearm life.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Sponsored Links