Anyone use a K frame snubby for EDC?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a K frame snubby for EDC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would love to hear your thoughts on it compared to other guns you have carried...weight, bulk, etc.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a K frame snubby for EDC?

Anyone use a K frame snubby for EDC?

I would love to hear your thoughts on it compared to other guns you have carried...weight, bulk, etc....

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I routinely carried 4" K-frames concealed for a couple of years in the mid-1990's. Weight and bulk were negligible. But, then, I had previously carried up to 4" N-frames and 5" 1911 pistols, so the K-frames were petite in comparison. I did briefly carry a 2.5" Model 66 in 1984, but in the mass-market concealment holsters of that era, it flopped around too much, compared to a 4" sixgun. The longer barrel, all else being equal, stabilized the the weapon better against my hip. The 4" sixgun stayed when a budget situation hit me in 1986 or so.

Later, in 2006-2007, I carried a 4" Ruger Speed Six, which is comparable to a K-frame in size and bulk, in a Milt Sparks PMK. Very comfortable! This one became mostly a house gun when I started toting mostly SIG P229s concealed.

It all comes down to personal choice I guess. They say one mans trash is another mans treasure. For my money, there is just nothing better built or designed for a service weapon that the Glock Pistol Design. I have carried K, N and J frame S&W and would never even consider going back to them since I started carrying Glocks. G 19, G 26, G36.

No exposed hammers to rip jacket linings and get accidentally cocked. No sharp edges to gouge your body when you sit down or get into a vehicle. Then there is the ammo issue 16 rounds in my 19 is always better than 6 in a wheel gun. That is what got NJ Trooper Phil Lamonmica killed when he shot it out with Angelia Davis. He was just simply out gunned against that hi cap Beretta 92.

In short Yes, I have carried K frames and shot a K 38, 6 inch in competition and have a fair share of trophys with it. Would I ever carry one again NO! I also will never carry a 1911 either. There is just too many improved quality weapons available today.

I've got a mdl 10 2" coming this week,I'll let you know in a period of time.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Perhaps I should add that I shoot a K/L-framed-sized sixgun better than any other handgun, period. (This includes my Ruger GP100s and Speed Six.) Until I finally met my first P229, there were no rivals, and it took several years to get to the point were I shot a P229 just about as well as a K-frame, on a good day.

Yes, a double-stack autoloader has its advantages, but capacity is not everything. I do wear a badge, and the shooting of the brave Trooper Lamonica stayed on my mind, and was one reason I finally went to autoloading duty pistols for good in 1997. (I had to start policing with a sixgun.) Until I got really good with those autos, though, I still tended to keep a 4" heavy sixgun cased in the front seat area of my patrol car, and during such events as felony stops, quite a few felons looked up the barrel of my GP100s, while the autopistols stayed holstered, relegated to backup duty. None of those felons laughed at me.

When I tote a revolver concealed, on my own time, I generally tote another firearm, auto or revolver, too.

I did not know an LEO could use a weapon that was not department policy duty certified or specified to make felony stops with. I sure wasn't allowed that option!

We were complaining about capacity of the K-10 and K-15, the Sam Brown Rig and 158 grain ball ammo long before Phil was killed. We all knew we were out gunned even with a New York Reload. Scary and uneasy time for us indeed.

Much to the chagrin of all of us the S&W Model 59 selected as a replacement service weapon was a total disaster. That is when I became an Armory Master and spent 12 hours a day just trying to keep the 59's running.

I carry one sometimes...

I am very fond of K frame snubbies and have several of them. I do carry one sometimes, but not on a regular basis. I have noticed that a K frame snubby conceals surprisingly well in the right holster, however. I use a PWL belt scabbard that positions the gun high on the belt with the butt tucked into my side.

I think the K frame snubby is easier to conceal than most compact semiautos because of the curved shape of the gun and the grip. As long as 6 shots are enough, it is certainly an excellent defensive weapon.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Yep just started to carry my K last week.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...st-friend.html
    Prior to the new gal I had been carrying a L frame 686+ on a pretty regular basis. The K frame is slightly lighter than the 686+, both fit the same holster nicely, and after her first 200 rounds she shoots like a dream.
    Some might complain about the weight of either, but the weight doesn't bother me at all.
    I this this one will be my primary for quite a while.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have a 3" Model 65 that I carry concealed on occassion and a 4" mod 19 that i use during hiking. Most of my carry revolvers are J frames for pocket back-up.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    EDC, no. I do occasionally carry a Model 15-4 snubnose, and feel well-armed when I do. It carries just as well as many others I have carried. It is lighter than most of the firearms I have carried, but not all.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

This 2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 sometimes hides in a pocket in any of several jackets in cool weather. This Model 10 was purchased new in 1996. The Model 10 snub is the best kept secret among .38 snubbie revolvers. It conceals about as well as the smaller J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers. Holds six rounds too. It's heavy though which offends tender sensibilities these days. That weight soaks up +P recoil though and the revolver is very accurate.

Its older Military & Police sibling from 1954 (before the advent of the Model 10 designation) is also occasionally taken along in pockets and, since its finish is already worn, sees some small duty in an old off-brand 2-inch K-Frame belt holster. It is even worn afield for hiking and plinking excursions. It gives up nothing in accuracy to longer barreled revolvers. This group was shot from 19 paces, using a full-powered lead SWC handload, and was made by shooting a hole in the yellow door hanger and then aiming at the first hole.

Love all K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers. I have a 4-inch Heavy Barrel Model 10 that sees most use of all. It is either carried in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster, a Buchiemer Federal Man high-rise belt holster, or a Holsters Unlimited IWB holster. It is even occasionally carried inside the waist band without a holster.

A Model 10-9 similar to bmcgilvray's except I installed the K-frame Boot Grips from S&W. It sometimes gets carried in an Uncle Mike's holster in the appendix position. The weight doesn't bother me as the Beltman Belts really make a difference.

I carry my 66-1 2.6" Smith as primary 25% of the time in one of my The Slides. I actually have no problems concealing it and the weight is the same as a mid-size to full size semi auto.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I own Glocks(G17, G26) and HK's(USP .40F, USP .40c).

However, I CCW a 2.5" Model 19 in a TT Gunleather IWB. It is not bulky and very easy to carry.
    A 4" Model 19 sits on the night stand.

IMHO- The K frame is the perfect revolver.

I am confident/comfortable with the revolver, and simply prefer them to semi-autos. As a private citizen whether at home, or CCW'ing, my role is not the same as a LEO. For me, the revolver is perfect.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Actually the K frame can ride in my N frame Galco IWB holster. Usually I wear a cover garment though cause it rides so darn high up.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links