New SR9C-Pics & Range Report

This is a discussion on New SR9C-Pics & Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All: My SR9c ordered from Bud's arrived yesterday, and I picked it up from my local FFL dealer. I ordered mine with the brushed ...

Thread: New SR9C-Pics & Range Report

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar

Hello All:

My SR9c ordered from Bud's arrived yesterday, and I picked it up from my local FFL dealer. I ordered mine with the brushed stainless finish. It is also available in black.

The gun comes with one 10 round mag, a grip extension for the 10 rd. mag, and a 17 round mag with a sleeve that fits at the bottom of the mag. It also comes with a magazine loader which really helped on the range with the new, stiff magazine springs. The gun also has an interchangeable back strap that can be reversed to provide either a straight drop or curved.

Here's what she looks like:

http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s...rent=SR9cc.jpg

On the range:

I fired a total of 200 rounds and had no failures of any kind. The ammo was Rem UMC 115 gr.fmj, Fed 115 fmj, Georgia Arms 115 fmj, and some of my own reloads of cast 124gr.RNL. The trigger was a bit mushy, had a short reset, and the point where the trigger breaks was a bit vague, not terrible, but not great either. Accuracy was as good as my Glock 19, and a bit better than the Kahr CW9. The gun's perceived recoil was about the same as when shooting a Glock 26. The sights are quite good, and the gun shot to point of aim.

Carry:

This gun is a great carry gun. The stated width is 1.27", but, that is the measurement across the ambidextrous safeties. The actual width of the slide is only .92". It weighs 24 oz. and has a nice slim grip.
    A have a holster from Grizzle leather that was made for my Sig SP 2022, but oddly enough it fits the SR9c like a glove!

As I mentioned in a previous thread, statistically the SR9c matches the size of the Glock 36. They are pretty close. Here's a pic:

http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=SR9_G36c.jpg
    and here's a pic next to the Kahr CW9:

http://s511.photobucket.com/albums/s...=SRLc_CW92.jpg

So far, I am quite pleased with this little guy!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Nice, Ive always liked the rugers as a decent mid level pistol, but they have always been huge, until now.

BTW your pics are not there.
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Cool...I can't wait to shoot mine... I really like this pistol. It breaks down easily and feels very well made... thanks for the good report. Hopefully I will be able to shoot mine this weekend. Robbie

VIP Member
    Thanks for taking the time to report. Information is always good.

You mentioned the mushy trigger. That trigger has been the main problem with the SR9 from the beginning. I had a full size for a while and just could not get past it. It works, don't get me wrong, but with other options in the same price range, I chose to go with another - G19.

I am glad it seems to work for you, though.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I actually liked the trigger. I thiught it was almost the equivalent of my well worn 2nd gen Glock 23...I am thinking after a bunch of rounds it should be as good or possibly better. I dont shoot from reset so I didnt test that. But I do agree on the accuracy. Its every bit as accurate as the Glock 23 with the LW conversion or the stock Glock barrel was. The size and grips is why I chose it over some of the others its thinner and the grips are better..its just big enough that I could get most of my pinky finger on the grip..I cant do that with the Glock. and the Glocks grips are too WIDE and uncomfortable....get that within 3 days both me and a guy at work go into the same gun shop and both of us trade in Glocks for other guns..he got a LCR and I got the SR9c...(I didnt know the other guy had done this I just knew he was contemplating doing this cause of his glock 27's poor grips)

Guy says whats going on did they find something wrong with Glocks in S&W .40 I dont know about 2 in 3 days! When I asked what the other one was I laughed and told him we work together and neither of us really liked the Glocks grips...he acted as if he had never heard of Glocks grips being bad before lol..oh well someone will not get 2 decent used Glocks and I will be happier than I was with the Glock :).

While I will ALWAYS be able to recommend Glocks to others because of their great reliability im done with them...too many other guns just as nice and just as reliable out there that fit my hands better. As long as it breaks in like I think it should this Ruger will prove to be one just as reliable and with better ergonomics :) .

I know the full size SR9's had issues with barrel peening, have they solved the issue? This looks like a nice little package, I will be watching these.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    I know the full size SR9's had issues with barrel peening, have they solved the issue? This looks like a nice little package, I will be watching these.
    im assuming my barrel looks fine still after 100 rounds...BUT I will keep a eye on it.

GM
    Thanks for the report.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So is that a single action with a manual safety? Looks short in height and a .97" thickness in the grip? If so wow!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    So is that a single action with a manual safety? Looks short in height and a .97" thickness in the grip? If so wow!
    It is a striker fired gun, and therefore I believe that it is considered double action. But the trigger travel is short, and the pull is light @ maybe 5lbs. Similar to a Glock.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have both the SR9 w/stainless slide and the SR9c w/Nitrodox.
    I prefer the SR9c by a definite margin (but not because of the finish - no preference there).
    The trigger is much better, and that has made my accuracy consistently better than with the full-size.
    I also agree about the SR9c having a better grip than the Glock 36, especially in regard to that little touch more room needed for someone with my hand size at the pinky.
    And of course it is a more comfortable carry.
    The SR9c seems like a solid effort by Ruger.

ntg
    I was able to handle a new one my buddy bought. I wasn't able to "drive" :( it however due to poor weather. I liked just about everything about it except the trigger! Yes the trigger is better than those I've felt on fullsize SR9s, but it is still so-so. The reset on it seemed to hang too, but this may not be an issue when actually firing and/or when it's been broken in. This may be a real good CCW, especially if you/they are able to get the trigger to improve.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    im assuming my barrel looks fine still after 100 rounds...BUT I will keep a eye on it.
    oh and after 200 rounds of use none of this supposed peening or what ever...everything looks as it did out of the box.

I like the pricing on them too, real affordable. Giving Taurus a run for the affordabilility market.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Nice... glad you are happy.... thanks for sharing... and pics are always a plus
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Links