M&P 9 FS or G19 for CCW

M&P 9 FS or G19 for CCW

This is a discussion on M&P 9 FS or G19 for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to get my first pistol, have shot both the G19 and M&P a few times, like the feel of the M&P a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9 FS or G19 for CCW

M&P 9 FS or G19 for CCW

I am looking to get my first pistol, have shot both the G19 and M&P a few times, like the feel of the M&P a little more. I want an all around handgun: plinker, IDPA, CCW. I don't really want a M&PC as I want to start with a gun that is very easy to train on. Does anyone have experience trying to conceal the M&P9 FS? As for my frame I am 6'5'' and skinny, don't know if that helps or hurts my cause.

Any advice is appreciated.

kpw
    Not a bad choice either way. Carrying either one is easy enough if your willing to adapt your dress and invest in quality carry gear. There may be some hits and misses when it comes to choosing the right holsters for you but, if you do your research here and elsewhere, you can narrow it down quicker. As always, invest in a good belt...or two.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Not a bad choice either way. Carrying either one is easy enough if your willing to adapt your dress and invest in quality carry gear. There may be some hits and misses when it comes to choosing the right holsters for you but, if you do your research here and elsewhere, you can narrow it down quicker. As always, invest in a good belt...or two.
    Yep, I am looking into getting a Crossbreed with a nice belt. I just wasn't sure if the extra length of the M&P (3/4"ish) will make a big difference in terms of printing. Weight difference is only 2 or 3 ounces... decisions decisions.

Personally, I'd go with the G19, but Glocks work for me; they don't work for everyone else.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Hold both shoot both.. but I'll bet that you'll like the M&P better, I did, despite what all the glock guys are going to tell you JMO

I have a M&P40 FS... my girlfriend can easily use it and she is not a firearm person (until she met me)

Watch These:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAz_o1ywVPc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EMpM6D7v58
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvcg-vFiEJY
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

When it comes to CCW, the grip is what prints the most. The barrel is easy enough to conceal, especially with IWB holsters.

VIP Member
    Having owned a G-19 for years, I would never recommend it for CCW. It's just a bit too big. My I recommend a G26 or an M&P9c? I would choose the M&P if it were me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My vote is for Glock 19. It is possible the most popular Glock Pistol ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Having owned a G-19 for years, I would never recommend it for CCW. It's just a bit too big. My I recommend a G26 or an M&P9c? I would choose the M&P if it were me.
    It seems like a lot of people on the board carry a G19, maybe I misread that.

I haven't shot a G19, but I have a full size M&P40. I'm 5'6" 135 lbs and I have no problems concealing it under jeans and a t-shirt.

Glock 19. No questions asked. I'm 6' 175 lbs and I conceal it without even wearing baggy clothes. Not to mention it's a Glock and they just work.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Glock 19...Absolutely no problem concealing...or Glock 26. I think with your height and prob hand size, the G19 would work better. Shoot both and go with what's best for you. I'm obviously a bit biased... ;)
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm biased toward M&Ps but the Glock is a fantastic gun. I was in the same situation you're in a year ago and bought the M&P 9FS. I now wish I bought the 9c instead.

The FS is concealable but you've got to be very careful when bending over and such to avoid printing.

I think the 9c is a good choice because of the shorter grip, the barrel's not too much shorter and the 9c can use full sized mags. Add one of these and you've got pretty much the same grip as the FS with a slightly shorter barrel.

I'll probably end up buying a 9c to complement my 9FS at some point which isn't that bad, but I'm more of a user than a collector of firearms.

I own three Glocks and love everything about um. That said, I plan to add a M&P 9 or .40 to my inventory sometime in the future. I don't think you can go wrong with either platform, and they should conceal about the same, with a slight edge going to the Glock. (No external safety)
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If you like the M&P more go for it.
    Hubby is 6 feet tall and trim and carries the Glock 19 well concealed with just a standard fitting untucked cover shirt.
    Dad is 5'7" and neither fat nor thin and carries his M&P dressed the same way.
    I haven't carried either one, but I have fired them both and I like the M&P, can't stand the Glock.
    I stand a towering 5'4" and weigh a whopping 125 pounds and have no problem concealing anything from a .38 snubbie to my .44 revolver, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt or t shirt depending on weather, you should have no trouble hiding either one.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links