G26 vs g27 vs g33

This is a discussion on G26 vs g27 vs g33 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need to make a decision for a subcompact Glock. I just cannot make decision on which model to go for and I am desperatley hoping ...

View Poll Results: Which Sub-Compact Glock for CCW? (purely form a power vs recoil perspective)

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 26 (9mm)

46 46.94%
  • Glock 27 (40sw)

38 38.78%
  • Glock 33 (357sig)

14 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G26 vs g27 vs g33

G26 vs g27 vs g33

Need to make a decision for a subcompact Glock. I just cannot make decision on which model to go for and I am desperatley hoping someone can make some sense of it all.
    My hangup for making a decision is concerning the trade-off as it relates to Recoil vs followup shots/accuracy. One one hand, I agree with all the 9mm fans that shot placement is king and that quicker more accurate shots is what counts. If you're going to shoot once, you might as well shoot several times! On the other hand, I also agree compeltely with those who favor the increased stopping power of the 40sw in a self defense situation, why not opt for as much punch as possible especially considering you need the ones that hit to count.

This is a debate is a perpetual see-saw as I seem to go back and forth as each of these arguments make total sense!! Please dont say get both, that's not an option for and I do not have the ability to test any of these at a range, so I need to make this decision with logic and other's firsthand experience. Also, I am not interested in the caliber conversion options as well. I would love to hear form those who have first hand experience with these models and can provide a real comparison.

So - Which would you prefer from a Recoil and Followup shot perspective??

Again, Removing all the typical factors that people bring-up in these comparisons, like ammo cost, availability, capacity - which model would you prefer and why from a power vs recoil perspective?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    .40 for me. G 27 is what I carry most of the time, although I routinely carry my XD .45 Compact. Recoil in my 27 is not unbearable at all. Follow up shots and double-taps are very managable. I don't think the 27 kicks as hard as the 22.

Here are 3 targets shot at 7 yards with my XD .45 C, Glock 22 and 27. Accuracy with the 3.5" 27 is as good as the 4" XD and 4.5" 22.

SL271786.JPG SL271787.JPG SL271788.JPG
    Proud NRA member

Although I prefer my Glock-36, of your choices...the Glock-26 is the perfect little shooter...my wife loves hers!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i would go with the g27. then you could get the lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and some g26 mags. now you got two guns. then i would get a 357sig barrel and use the g27 mags. now you got three guns. so with the glock 40 cal guns you can have three guns in one.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Guess I'm the lone ranger sticking up for the 357 SIG right now. So be it. One of my favorite rounds and I carry a G32 regularly. I've had a G26 and G27 and sold both. Will get a G33 someday, or then again, maybe not. I don't find the G32 particularly hard to conceal, at least the way I dress.

I do not have any problem with the recoil of the 357 SIG round in the G32 platform and suspect the same would be true for the G33. The 40 S&W G27 was a bit harder to keep on target in rapid fire situations. Perhaps it is just me but I feel that the 40 S&W recoil is harder to manage than the somewhat snappier 357 SIG.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I voted G26...As with all Glocks, very dependable. Easy to conceal. Ammo is reasonably priced and readily available for training purposes. Stopping power vs other calibers, IMO, is equal in a "self defense" scenario. Most situations occur in 21 feet or closer. Whether you're hit with a 9mm HP or a 40 HP is pretty much a wash at that distance. The BG is gonna be hurting...period. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Put my "X" next to the 26.....
    Although I have a 27....I haven't put enough rounds through it yet to justify my "call" to say I personally would use it as my EDC....
    BTW....the 36 IS my EDC.....but IT wasn't on "the list".....
    IMO....ANY of these 3 will do the job.....IF you TRAIN with it and consistently hit COM.....
    Good luck on whatever you choose.....
    Stay Safe!!

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i would go with the g27. then you could get the lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and some g26 mags. now you got two guns. then i would get a 357sig barrel and use the g27 mags. now you got three guns. so with the glock 40 cal guns you can have three guns in one.
    +1. Start with the G27 and expand.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

G26 here. Great pistol for CC.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The conversion argument doesnt make any sense to me.

If you buy a 40/357 and then practice with it in 9mm but carry it in 40/357, aren't you putting yourself at a disadvantage by not carrying what you practice with???

Also, what happens when you realize your are more accurate with the 9mm, now you are left with the reality of carrying a conversion barrel which would potentially lead to reliability issues when you need it most.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post

I have to agree with him. I'm planning on doing the same thing, only with the G22. Why not have the capability to shoot 3 different rounds if you can.

While I feel the .357 is the more potent of the three, start out in the middle and work your way out. The .40 is a proven rounds and what the majority of LEOs carry. 9mm is the cheapest, ammo wise, for extended range time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Need to make a decision for a subcompact Glock. I just cannot make decision on which model to go for and I am desperatley hoping someone can make some sense of it all.
    My hangup for making a decision is concerning the trade-off as it relates to Recoil vs followup shots/accuracy. One one hand, I agree with all the 9mm fans that shot placement is king and that quicker more accurate shots is what counts. If you're going to shoot once, you might as well shoot several times! On the other hand, I also agree compeltely with those who favor the increased stopping power of the 40sw in a self defense situation, why not opt for as much punch as possible especially considering you need the ones that hit to count.

This is a debate is a perpetual see-saw as I seem to go back and forth as each of these arguments make total sense!! Please dont say get both, that's not an option for and I do not have the ability to test any of these at a range, so I need to make this decision with logic and other's firsthand experience. Also, I am not interested in the caliber conversion options as well. I would love to hear form those who have first hand experience with these models and can provide a real comparison.

So - Which would you prefer from a Recoil and Followup shot perspective??

Again, Removing all the typical factors that people bring-up in these comparisons, like ammo cost, availability, capacity - which model would you prefer and why from a power vs recoil perspective?
    In a real life, life threatening and defending situation your questions are all academic. I personally find a G 26 more than adequate and more controllable than a pocket cannon, big bore blaster. 9 mm NATO FMJ has filled many graves in Europe and doing a fine job in the Sand Box as well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    The conversion argument doesnt make any sense to me.

If you buy a 40/357 and then practice with it in 9mm but carry it in 40/357, aren't you putting yourself at a disadvantage by not carrying what you practice with???

Also, what happens when you realize your are more accurate with the 9mm, now you are left with the reality of carrying a conversion barrel which would potentially lead to reliability issues when you need it most.
    It's called "options." Do you own only one caliber? Don't you ever wish you could shoot something else? Ever gone out with a .22 for target practice? The act of shooting anything is training in itself.

The 9mm conversion for Glocks has proven to be reliable, and you can go down in caliber (.40 to 9mm) but you can't go up. That's why I would get the .40 or .357.

Conversions allow you to shoot more calibers without having to buy more guns. The .40 & .357 are the same guns except for the barrels. It's not a modification, per se.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Please permit me to restate the obvious again. People have been killing each other with guns and bullets long before this ground breaking totally hyped .40 caliber arrived on this planet to be the absolute end all projectile.

This new super caliber wonder bullet is just 1 mm bigger in diameter than the .38, .357, .380 and the 9 mm family of 9 x 17, 9 x 18, 9 x 19 and 9 x 23 which are all the same exact size. Now the .45 caliber bullet is only 2 mm bigger than the 9 mm bullet as well. A .45 Caliber is only 11 mm.

Now, the human body will be severely and adversely affected when struck by objects traveling at around 1,000 feet a second. I millimeter here or there really is not going to matter all that much. You are going to have a bad after you are hit.

Take a look at this web site please.

The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration testing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links