Cracked Kahr MK9 Slide

This is a discussion on Cracked Kahr MK9 Slide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a MK9 for about 3 years and 1000 rounds without this problem. It is interesting to see the exact location of the crack ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Kahr MK9 Slide

I've had a MK9 for about 3 years and 1000 rounds without this problem. It is interesting to see the exact location of the crack - at the thinnest point in the steel between the barrel and the recoil guide rod. If you had to predict where it would crack, that would be the spot.

I trust that Kahr will give you a new slide.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I've been accused by some here of "bashing" Kahr. Since you asked, the short version is - I had an early P9 that jammed all the time due to excessive frame flex. Then, I had an early PM9 with many different issues - barrel and slide peening, loose slide back, jammed if you tried a tap-rack drill with JHPs, failure to go fully into battery, etc. They finally gave me a new PM9, which had the same jamming issues when a tap-rack was attempted, so I sold it.

I am now quite happy running Glocks and a pair of LCPs (one for me and one for my wife) for deeper concealment/covert carry situations.

The instructions for stripping down the Kahr slide have been posted on this forum - if you search you will find them.

Sounds like you had a AD? Care to elaborate? What about the Kahr slide?

Please keep your posts constructive - I tried my best to make folks aware of issues I experienced, and more importantly - what to do about them if they happened to experience similar issues - yet I was still accused by the Kahr fanboys of "bashing." Some folks take any criticism of their chosen equipment too personally...
    Ah yes the Kahr Fan boys Indeed.

My negative experience with a Kahr pistol is really straight forward in my opinion. The rotating cam pulls a tensioned firing pin back and then falls away through rotation to permit release. The owners manual dose not provide the owner with instructions how to dismantle or properly clean the top end.

The long and short of it is a customer came into my shop and set a CW 45 on the counter and it went off. Luckily no one was hit. After we cleaned out our underwear I inspected the firearm and questioned the owner to ascertain that derbies had collected in the firing pin channel and had hung up the firing pin. When he set it on my counter, the impact dislodged the firing pin permitting the AD. This is not the first time this has happened from what I have been told. Whether this information is true or false is irrelevant as any Kahr fire Arm will never be permitted even in the door of my business nor will I ever work on one ever again. The potentiality for a tragedy is ever present with this flawed design from Kahr in my book. The close tolerance of metal against metal in the firing pin channel by Justin Moon was not properly thought out by him.

Glock was very intelligent to address this in a striker design pistol with a nickle against polymer self lubrication bearing surface selection of materials. This is also a potential problem with the Springfield XD as well as they use metal against metal. Over time friction is going to cause metal shavings and debris collection as well as carbon which is very hard in molecular structure.

Simply stated debris in striker channels is a potential problem for hang fire and hung tensioned firing pins that can come free at a later time causing an AD.

Whether the Karh owners accept this or not is up to them as it does negatively impact their ownership pride and ego. My opinion is just that my opinion and that is Kahr firearms are very poorly designed and very dangerous to own and shoot. This is even befoe I get to the MIM parts usage the even further degrades their quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9mm View Post
    Ah yes the Kahr Fan boys Indeed.

The long and short of it is a customer came into my shop and set a CW 45 on the counter and it went off.
    Why would a customer set a loaded gun on the counter? That sounds like a person that probably needs a gun safety class.

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Why would a customer set a loaded gun on the counter? That sounds like a person that probably needs a gun safety class.
    Hit the nail on the head there! That would be my biggest complaint!
    Don't get me wrong.... I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Kahrs. Never even shot one so I can't make any determinations there.
    But, any and all guns can and do get dirty firing pin channels. Whether it be dirt from use or carry or metal shavings from the gun or brass shavings from casings!
    But a gun owner who doesn't clean their gun and then consequently PLOPS it down while loaded on your counter?!?!?!?!?!?
    THAT GUY would be banned from my shop LONG before any gun!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Humm. Looks like stress from a too tight barrel to slide fitting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am standing here looking at my MK9 and I am noticing that I have a gap (about 1/16") between my barrel and the frame at the top of the barrel. Yours does not look like it has that. My glock also has this spacing on the top of the barell. That barrel or frame is not right.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem. The end of the guide rod does look "roughed up" on your gun so you may need to rethink what "babying" means.

I'm a staunch Kahr Fan but I'm the first to admit any gun can be a lemmon or break. I won't argue for or against any particular line and I expect passionate people to line up on both sides of anything.

I'm fortunate in that I have a P9, MK9, and a K9 (finally got that sucker! ) and all three have been the most accurate and relaible guns with the best DAO trigger, of anything I've ever owned or fired so I'm counting my blessings and looking HARD for a P380 with night sights to finish off the set.

I always bring up my experience with a brand new Ruger SP101 to add perspective. It locked up on me on the second range trip and had to go home for a lot of new parts. Everyone feels revolvers, and the Ruger's in particular are built like tanks but I got one that was a real dog. Happens to the best of them.

As for the AD on the counter, no disrespect intended but I don't buy it and not because it's a Kahr. Something else is going on there. For that to have happened they had to have pulled the trigger on a chambered round and the firing pin hung up. Then they carried it in that condition to your store and set it down and it then dislodged and fired? Possible but not too plausible. I doubt anyone can find a single other case of that happening. And if they racked the slide with the firing pin hung, then it would have gone off from that more than being set on a counter. Not calling anyone a liar but seem's pretty drastic to ban one mfg because of one idiot and an AD? Can't be sure you've made any case for a faulty design considering that design isn't unique to Kahrs.

Anyway, I'd recommend to people who still want an MK9 to press right ahead. It's one of the best CCW options on the market. If there's anything I don't like about them it's the plastic guide rod that'll probably never fail but I replaced mine with a stainless version. And the way the top round sits in the mag. It's a pain to load their mags and the top round can work loose in a mag carrier depending on the type/make of the mag carrier.

Good luck on getting it fixed and be sure to ask them to pay shipping!!

Gideon

Hmmm...the issue of metal shavings in the striker channel of Kahrs has come up recently here.

It would be interesting to open up a Kahr, Glock, XD, M&P, and maybe even a PPS to see the differences in their striker channel designs.

I know "Mike9mm" was dismissed as a troll, but there might be something to this (?).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a hard time believing based upon taking the striker (firing pin) out of my gun and cleaning it 4-5 times that there is anything that could possibly hold the spring back to in the locked position except for the safety device that is only activated by pulling the trigger. I know that people say the channel gets a bunch of metal shavings in it but it is the teflon nickel coating that they put on the striker that flakes off that looks like metal shavings. I know this first hand because my striker had a bunch of the coating in it but I never had a problem with it shooting or since.

MK9 Problem or not? - KahrTalk Forums

I took my glock apart and besides the teflon coating on the kahr (glock is not coated) the channels on both guns are very similar in design.

I am sorry to hear about this, my Kahr is running strong and I would buy another in a heart beat. To the poster about the kahr going off on the counter... All I have to say is if this REALLY did happen then it would happen to almost any striker fired gun on the market. The Kahr has a firing pin block that is ONLY RELEASED when puilling the trigger. If there was somthing struck in the channel then the pin would still hit the firing bin block and stop short of hitting the primer.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some folks take any criticism of their chosen equipment too personally...
    Only if it came from a lady! They have pills for that now don't they?
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Only if it came from a lady! They have pills for that now don't they?

Of course, you don't get to "choose" that equipment - ya run what ya brung...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Well I am sure Kahr will fix it right, but I am a little concerned about whether this could reoccur and I would be out of warranty. Should I unload it now? If so any idea how much could it bring?

It's a MK9 Elite '03 with checkered hardwood grips, one standard mag and two 7 round mags.

I'd hate to part with it, but I'm a little uneasy.

sorry to hear abot your khar troubles, my friend. is it still under warranty? send it back...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links