Sub Compacts vs Compacts Grip Height and Concealment

This is a discussion on Sub Compacts vs Compacts Grip Height and Concealment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In comparing the subcompact Glocks (26/27) to their larger compact counterparts (G19/23) - do the Compacts with their 5in grip print easily?? I understand that ...

View Poll Results: Do the Compact Glocks (19/23) Print more than the subcomact Glocks (26/27)?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 71.19%
  • No

17 28.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub Compacts vs Compacts Grip Height and Concealment

In comparing the subcompact Glocks (26/27) to their larger compact counterparts (G19/23) - do the Compacts with their 5in grip print easily?? I understand that the subcompacts would naturally be easier to conceal with shorter grip but my question is do the compact 5in grip print easily?? In other words, are the 4.17in grip on the subs overkill or unecessary??

THis is relative to IWB carry only, not pocket carry, etc. I ask becuase many people say they have no problem concealing larger guns like 1911s and other compacts that have grips aorund 5 in. I mean even really small options like the Kahr PM45 is 4.5in high and that is much smaller in every dimension that the 26/27. Also, a lot of the 3in 1911s are 4.75 or 5in high. so I can't see why these compacts would print easily. How tall is too tall when it comes to IWB carry and printing??

I know the natural reaction is the subs are easier to conceal because they're shorter but are they easier?? Ok, yes they are shorter but is that actually a benefit? Does it print less than the compacts??

I pretty much have to carry a sub compact with my size/frame. I'm only 5'8" 140lbs so every 1/4" helps me conceal. People who have a larger frame tend to have an easier time concealing.

GM
    I pack every day a BHP without problems.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I have a 19 and a 26... The 26 is much easier to conceal for me because of the shorter grip height. It also does make all the difference in the world when it comes to pocket carry....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yes, but a 15-20 degree cant, a good belt and holster combo, and loose clothing can take care of the problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's where you pack them and how that counts. I would have voted no in the poll, but I don't see how that would be fair to everyone, or completely honest on my part. I myself didn't realize I could conceal the compacts as well as the sub-compacts or better until I tried. Glock on!

VIP Member
    Obviously there is a potential to print more, the grip is longer and it would be technically true if it was only a fraction of an inch!

Practically speaking however, and having owned a G-27 & G-23, it really depends on the individual and the method of carry.

I personally found the advantages of the G-23 well worth the minimal disadvantage of the modestly longer grip. I had NO concealment issues with my G-23 using a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB holster.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yes, but a 15-20 degree cant, a good belt and holster combo, and loose clothing can take care of the problem.
    This is true. Im a small dude, 5-7, 155#. I have no problem carrying my G23 in a C-tac. I carry it in summer clothes just fine. No problems. It will print some in tight shirts, but not enough to be a problem. That said the G27 is the next one on my list to buy.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I carry a full size 1911 if you cant it and wear loose clothes it will not print. Do not wear polo shirts to tight. I carried a the 1911 with tee shirt and shorts in the summer. Crossbreed Super Tuck works great.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

I voted NO...I adjust my dress for my weapon whether it is the G26 or G19...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Does the 19 print more than the 26? Maybe, but who cares? Sheeple do not notice such things. I have left my house more times than I could count in a shirt tight enough that I was certain I was printing and never got a second look from the police officers or security guards at the mall.

A reasonably well-known firearms instructor once walked through a wedding reception carrying a naked Barrett .50 rifle and no one even noticed.

I think the thickness of the frame and slide is much more important and in that respect there's no difference between the 19 and 26.

You're not printing, stop worrying so much about it!

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

I voted no. Enough cant and it hides. Tuckable with shirt tail bloused and it hides. I am 6' 2", 230lbs.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I found my G27 printed just as much as my duty-sized G22, because at the most comfortable concealment spot on my hip, it is the outside rear corner of the slide that protrudes the farthest. I can hide a mile of grip length; it is the rear of an auto's slide area that is the challenge. Most, if not all, striker-fired pistols have slides that protrude farther to the rear than most hammer-fired autopistols. My present duty/carry P229 pistols, especially the ones with spurless hammers, conceal better than any Glock, for me. The other factor is width; all Glocks that share a frame size share the same chunky width. It was easier to hide a FULL-sized 1911, than my Glocks, including the baby Glock. (I switched from 1911s for duty/carry, to Glocks, in 2002. I got away from Glocks in 2004, switching to SIGs.)

Now, of course, in pocket carry, the baby Glocks will be easier to conceal than any larger Glock, but I tried pocket carry and quickly went back to spurless-hammer snubbies for that carry method. Once again, the protruding rear part of the slide was the devil, impeding a smooth, clean draw.

Another way that a baby Glock clearly beats a larger Glock is when carried vertically, or nearly so.

Another way that my baby Glock worked better for me was to carry it with a G23 magazine. My pinkie fingers are quite short, fairly useless for gripping larger Glocks, able to wrap around the stock baseplate of a G26/G27, or even better, around the magazine body when using a magazine made for a larger Glock model.

I didn't vote in the poll, because there was no choice for "it depends..."

Physical comparisons....G19 on bottom, G27 on top. Some with and without finger grip on G27 magazines. To heck with the measurements.

I think the Subs are easyer to conceal but the compacts are not hard either.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links