Wife wants a pistol!

This is a discussion on Wife wants a pistol! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to a pistol friendly state, My wife wants a pistol for CC. She has never fired one and has no clue whats shes getting ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wife wants a pistol!

Wife wants a pistol!

New to a pistol friendly state, My wife wants a pistol for CC. She has never fired one and has no clue whats shes getting into. My ? is, what is the perfect gun for a female beginner? And, what is a good website I can send a link to her, because she doesnt want me to harp on her about the responsabilities that are associated with walking around with a lethal weapon.

2. Remove Ads

yup, then you want to get her a REVOLVER NOT a Pistol...cause if your not 100% familiar or train REGULARLY/OFTEN revolver is the way to go. i like the new LCR myself best trigger out of the box on the market right now...very lady friendly..my wife loves them...she would love to have one IF we had the $$$. now IF you can get her to go to the range every few weeks get her a nice Semi Auto if not stick with the revolver..id HATE to see if something jammed up her act like my wife...look at the gun that didnt fire for some reason and have totaly no idea why it didnt fire or what to do to get it to fire...thats why she is forbidden :) to use a semiauto.

Quote Originally Posted by Transplant View Post
    My ? is, what is the perfect gun for a female beginner?
    Please, please, please find a friendly indoor range that rents guns. This is ABSOLUTELY the best way to find a gun that your wife will enjoy shooting. Not only will she shoot more (with a gun that she likes and picked out herself) but she will become proficient with it. This is the only way (IMO) to acclimate a unfamiliar female to shooting. Trust me...I've learned this the hard way.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Take some NRA courses and go to the range and learn to shoot before picking out a gun. Probaly start out shooting a rimfire at the range. I wouldnt even think of buying a gun for her at this point. My wife loved the feel of my.38 Airweight J-frame, but it scared the hell out of her when it went off in her hand.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

At least take her to a gun shop and let her handle a bunch...she's got to decide what fits her hand.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got mine this one.
    Attached Images

Listen to the folks that have posted, they are spot on! Good luck and welcome.

New to a pistol friendly state, My wife wants a pistol for CC. She has never fired one and has no clue whats shes getting into. My ? is, what is the perfect gun for a female beginner? And, what is a good website I can send a link to her, because she doesnt want me to harp on her about the responsabilities that are associated with walking around with a lethal weapon.
    Cornered Cat

Welcome
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Senior Moderator
    There is no "perfect gun" for a female shooter - just like us male shooters, it is an individual preference.

As far as websites, this one and Http://www.corneredcat.com.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I recommend starting with a small caliber and let her get familiar with guns and confident before moving up. My wife started with a walther .22 before she got her carry gun.
    "That's just like your opinion, man." -the dude

Don't buy a beginner gun. Once she starts shooting, she will quickly discover the gun's shortcomings. Introduce her to several designs before buying. She will naturally gravitate to the one that feels natural.

My ? is, what is the perfect gun for a female beginner?

The one she picks out.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Only she can decide what she likes, and only by trying some will she know what gun is right for her.
    She has made a big step in deciding to carry, and that in itself is fantastic. Be proud of her, encourage her, and be patient while she tries out as many as it takes to find that "right one". Don't try to talk her out of whatever she chooses, trust her judgment, after all she picked you.
    If she chooses something she likes she will be more inclined to practice regularly with it. Take her to the range as often as she wants to go, let her practice with both target ammo and defensive ammo.
    I started shooting young(age 12) and took to it like a duck takes to water, she may take time to get used to the noise and recoil, work with her at her pace, and praise whet she does well and gently correct anything she needs help with.
    Congrats to the Mrs on taking on the responsiblility of self protection.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Good points!

EBK- LMAO

Thanks all!

First off well done, wanting help is the first step and you have found it, good job. Second, good job on getting your wife involved. On to your problem, this is something I deal with almost on a daily basis. Girl mentions to guy "I have never shot a gun." Guy gets WAY to excited and has no idea what to do but grab the biggest gun he owns and takes her out in the country. BANG! followed by lots of cursing, she is mad, hates him, never wants to see another gun let alone shoot one. Unfortunately, yes, this happens. I have seen it time and time again. So how do we fix this and do it right? Take her to an indoor shooting range, one with an instructor and guns that can be rented. Let the instructor know that this is her first time and needs some help choosing a firearm and instruction on shooting. He will ask a few questions, place a few firearms in her hand, ask some more questions, more firearms, etc. After the instructor has found one that he feels confident that she can control safely, and both you and her like, its time to shoot. He will work with her on PROPER shooting techniques and (if hes good) will even get her on paper... in the 10 ring. Unless the girl (or in some cases guy) is a total uncoordinated cluster beep, she will hit the 10 ring a few times her first visit. I have yet to have a first timer miss the 10 ring on the first day. This is probably the most crucial part, she needs to feel a sense of accomplishment and build up that excitement and want to come back and do it again. Also, its important for you to listen and observe too so when you go home, she will ask you questions she might have missed the answer too and you can really help and look like you know what you are talking about. You might also learn something... you never know.

But please, take her to a range, if they dont offer an instructor or he/she is too expensive, talk to the sales rep and let her pick her own firearm. Dont push cause you will just push her away. Let the sales rep talk about safety and I am sure he/she will recommend taking a basic handgun course but will be helpful in anyway he/she can. Dont get discouraged and have fun, let her decide, but above all, be safe.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links