Trying a large revolver IWB

This is a discussion on Trying a large revolver IWB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a really large revolver try a Colt New Service. I once carried a M1917 .45 ACP New Service IWB without a holster, beneath the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying a large revolver IWB

For a really large revolver try a Colt New Service. I once carried a M1917 .45 ACP New Service IWB without a holster, beneath the coat of my business suit for an entire day at the office just to see if it was practical. The suit was dark, the trousers were just a bit large in the waist so the big ol' revolver hid easily and stayed put, even when sitting down. It does help to be 6'3".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I packed a 3" 66-2 IWB for years with no problem. Tried a 3" 657 .41 mag IWB with a TT Gunleather IWB and it was just too much. Had to go up 3 pant sizes and even with a Beltman belt it was too darn heavy and big for year round carry. I'm not a big guy at 5' 7" and 175 lbs.

Now on the same note I can easily pack the 657 and my 686 CS-1 OWB with no problem in colder WX to cover it up, but the 686 is much more comfortable.
    I have a new 686 2.5" and it's chunky for sure, especially on my somewhat smaller frame. I didn't intend on IWB carry, although I suppose if I really wanted to I could. It was intended as a range and course work gun, so I'm not sure about daily carry in any fashion. I hope it doesn't turn into one of those... 'seemed like a good idea at the time' sort of guns. Either way, I'm married to it as it cost me a bundle, so I'll deal with it.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've been carrying my 3" 629 IWB with in a Simply Rugged Sourdough with IWB straps. It has worked exceptionally well. I was surprised that large of a revolver would carry well.

VIP Member
    Re: Simply Rugged
    Thanks! Either I'm easily impressed or that's one great holster! Especially for IWB of my L-frame. No overly designed leather panels and supports that often add more bulk.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have four of his holsters...love them all. I use the Cuda with IWB straps for carrying my full-sized Kimber. Robb is also a GREAT guy to deal with.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    I have four of his holsters...love them all. I use the Cuda with IWB straps for carrying my full-sized Kimber. Robb is also a GREAT guy to deal with.
    Seriously, you made my day and thanks again for the excellent advise!
    Thing is, pancake holsters typically don’t win a lot of beauty contests, but they are the best for close body concealment.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/index.html

Regards,
    Dan
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links