Trying a large revolver IWB

This is a discussion on Trying a large revolver IWB within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got an nylon clip on IWB holster I've been carrying my PT709 and XD40sc in for weeks with no problem. I've tried out my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying a large revolver IWB

Trying a large revolver IWB

I've got an nylon clip on IWB holster I've been carrying my PT709 and XD40sc in for weeks with no problem. I've tried out my S&W snubs in it and they carry fine in it as well (a little deep, but the shape and cut-out on the grip actually make it easily accesible and cover the trigger guard).

I've been getting the itch to carry my Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum. I have a leather OWB holster for the gun, but really don't want to OC it. I am going to try this weekend carrying my large frame Ruger PSS with 4 inch barrel in this IWB holster.

Interestingly enough, it rides low in it, but that gives the clip the low area behind the cylinder to ride in. It also completely covers the trigger guard. The barrel sticks out of the open end about 2 inches, but since it will be IWB, does that really matter? The hammer will ride a little over an inch below the top edge of the top opening, but the hammer does not catch at all. The shape and cut of the grip opening allows access to virtually the entire wooden grip.

Pics attached. Any thoughts on this experiment? Since I rarely carry this gun on my person, I thought I'd give IWB a try. If it works out ok, I'll look into investing in a good IWB holster that fits this weapon. If it doesn't work out well at all, no sense in spending a lot of money for something I won't utilize much. Any thoughts from others who have carried large frame revolvers IWB? At this point in a snow covered bitterly cold winter, I'm doing good to get myself inside my waisteband.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Its worth a shot. I carried my GP100 for a little while IWB without a holster until I finally got my Desantis owb holster without any issues.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I carry the Security Six with a 2 1/4" (or thereabouts) inch barrel, which is pretty much the same gun with a shorter barrel. I use a Clipdraw, but even with that set up, if you wear it at 3 o'clock the long barrel will go down your side and you should have no problems. I never believed it would be easy to conceal larger revolvers, but this thing pretty much disappears. As others have said, I think it has to do with the curves of the grip versus a semi-auto.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I planned on trying it today. As it has worked out, I'm home watching the kids while my wife gets out of the house. Cabin fever. She's been stuck in the house with the kids for weeks. Maybe I'll get paroled later tonight.

VIP Member
    The only problem I see you might encounter is in the draw, the front sight may possibly hang up on the holster. I need to hit a gun show and try and find a IWB holster for my speed six snubbie.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Is this a private ‘Dirty Harry’ party or can anyone join in? I have a 686 2.5” 35-ouncer’ so maybe I can stuff that down my Thunderware. Actually, I suppose if your body type allows for it, great! Personally, I don’t ever see myself being able to cc my six-shooter as I would really like to! Now, if you're thinking to suggest that I carry a Night Guard 315, I already thought about it. It's nearly chunky as the 686 and more expensive. Oh well, good, bad or indifferent, I still have the same scrawny ass frame as I did in high school.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Jump on in. Not too many people CCing big revolvers anymore. Given the time of year and the attire necessary in the winter, if I'm going to carry it at all this is the time of year. I love the gun, so I hate to have it just sit in the safe and come out for occasional range trips. Given my body type, I could probably conceal a coachgun if I tried.

I did get the chance to CC the large revolver this weekend. It worked OK IWB at 3 o'clock, but the barrel was a bit long when I sat in the car necessitating multiple adjustments. As for the thickness of the frame IWB, it was fine. The grips seemed to disappear. I carried it this afternoon in my OWB holster at 3 o'clock and positioned it where the holster went down into the right pants pocket. The sweater covered great and the holster end stayed in the pocket and covered by the pants.

This has me thinking about modifying pants with an OWB holster pocket with the opening being straight across and right below the belt loop to hide the part of the holster below the belt line. This would give the comfort of OWB and not necessitate such long shirts to conceal. Any thoughts on that?

Bull Dog holster make a IWB holster that worked well with my S&W Model 10-5 4" barrel.

The front sight really did not cause me any trouble, but being a open holster the last 2" of the barrel was exposed inside my pants at the 4 O clock area.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Also dont forget Simply Rugged. I have a S&W Model 13 4" that I carry from time to time. I currently carry it in a kydex IWB. My only complaint is it only has one strap so that the gun shifts froom time to time. I have thought of adding another strap to add to the stability. I am giving the S. R. serious thought.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    can't wait for my N frame holsters to come in... might have to wait even longer as we are suppose to get another 5-7" of snow here
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm not an IWB kind of girl, but I have carried the bigguns OWB a few times, mainly just to prove it can be done.
    The holster is a Galco G819WCD, 2 slot open bottom and I've used it with the Model 65(3" barrel), the 686+(3" barrel) the N frame Model 29(4" barrel) and the GP100(6" barrel).
    I have hidden all of them wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, going through a normal days activities, walking, sitting, bending, in and out of the truck.
    The GP100 was the hardest with the long barrel, it did require some change of sitting positions, but it was still workable.
    The N frame gave me some issues, that long frame and my short torso, makes me need a lower riding holster to keep the grip out of my armpit.
    I didn't have any trouble hiding the bulk of any of them under the sweatshirt, hubby was my watchman for any printing and he saw nothing. In fact the day I did carry the GP100(his gun) he never knew it was there until we got undressed for bed. I still get a grin out of the look on his face when he saw what I had been carrying for 15 hours and he never had any idea
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I packed a 3" 66-2 IWB for years with no problem. Tried a 3" 657 .41 mag IWB with a TT Gunleather IWB and it was just too much. Had to go up 3 pant sizes and even with a Beltman belt it was too darn heavy and big for year round carry. I'm not a big guy at 5' 7" and 175 lbs.

Now on the same note I can easily pack the 657 and my 686 CS-1 OWB with no problem in colder WX to cover it up, but the 686 is much more comfortable.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 15th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I just ordered a Kholster for my 3 inch barrel GP100...hope to have a report on it shortly.

I need something thinner than an all leather holster...and will dress around it. Kydex and leather seems to be the fit I'm looking for. The below leather one works...but still feels a bit bulky for me. Ah...the continual search for the perfect revolver IWB.

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That’s what it’s all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links