Pocket 9mm

Pocket 9mm

This is a discussion on Pocket 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a PM9 and I am looking for other pocket guns in 9mm. I've assembled this spreadsheet (which I don't think it will ...

Thread: Pocket 9mm

Pocket 9mm

I currently have a PM9 and I am looking for other pocket guns in 9mm. I've assembled this spreadsheet (which I don't think it will display well on the forum, so I've attached a screenshot).

At this point, my requirements are: 1) 9mm, 2) pocketable, and 3) able to take a crimson trace or other laser.

*I realize the Sig 239 (which I also have) is not exactly "pocketable", but I included it in this listing to give me a comparison in terms of size and weight.

Did I forget any guns that match my requirements above? Other than the PM9, do any of these guns stand head and shoulders above the others?

Thanks for any help.

Name Model Length Height Width Weight unlo Weight LD Barrel HT Barrel LEN capacity trigger pull
    Kel-Tec PF-9 5.9 4.3 0.9 12.7 15.5 na 3.1 7+1 na
    Kahr PM9 5.3 4.0 0.9 15.9 na na 3.0 6+1 na
    Glock 26 6.3 4.2 1.2 19.8 26.1 1.3 3.5 10+1 5.5
    Walther PPS 6.3 4.4 1.0 21.3 na na 3.2 7+1 6.1
    S&W M&P 9sc 6.7 4.3 1.2 23.6 na na 3.5 12+1 6.5
    Kahr MK9 5.3 4.0 0.9 24.0 na na 3.0 6+1 na
    Springfield XD SC 6.3 4.8 ??? 26.0 na na 3.0 13+1 5.5-7.7
    Ruger P95 7.3 5.8 1.2 27.0 na na 3.9 10+1 na
    Sig 239 6.6 5.1 1.2 29.5 na na 3.6 8+1 10-4.4
    Attached Images

My PF9 is very reliable and I pocket and coat pocket it with a Rough Out pocket holster. Any double stack would be a little thick for pants pocket carry but would work for coat pocket.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

You missed the best pocket 9mm out there, the Rohrbaugh (though maybe it's not on the list because it doesn't take a laser).

In my opinion, only the Rohrbaugh, the PM9 and PF9 are "pants pocket" guns. The others, although carried by some in cargo pockets, etc., are really too big or unwieldy (remember, you have to draw it out of the pocket in a hurry, not just fit it in). The XD and Glocks are bricks (just wait, the Glock guys will be along soon defending their ability to pocket carry -- and not print -- this pistol); The MK9 is really too heavy and drags on the pocket, thus printing; the M&P and PPS are just too big, etc.

BTW, they are all great CCW pistols! And they mostly offer a capacity advantage as well. I am not knocking any of them. And in coat carry, they all can work. But I just think they are better suited for and IWB or OWB holster, rather than a pants pocket.

Two other potential options are the Taurus Slim 709 (though a tad larger) and the (yet to be produced) DiamondBack in 9mm.

Therefore, I think your list is very small. You already have the 2nd best (some might say 1st) with the PM9. Unless you are buying the Rohrbaugh, why look?

I'm going to consider the Boberg XR9 "Shorty" after they've been out for a year or so to work out any bugs. We'll have to see if CT will make a laser for it.

I pocket carried a PM9 for several years, but it really is too big for some pockets.

My LCP works better for pocket carry - it's both smaller and much lighter in weight. Load it with .380 FMJ, and it will do the job if you do yours.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I pocket carry a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm all the time. One of my favorite guns to shoot now. Never a problem at all through 600 rounds. My buddy (who is a die-hard Glock owner of multiple models) just bought one for summer carry because his G26 was a little too thick. He says he has been very impressed with it. That says a lot to me, knowing him. I wouldn't discount this weapon. Check it out, and shoot one if you have a range available with one. You'll be very surprised.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Glocks are bricks (just wait, the Glock guys will be along soon defending their ability to pocket carry -- and not print -- this pistol)
    I'm a Glock fan (among other things). That said, IMHO, Glock does not produce an acceptable pocket pistol. My KelTec P11 (which is noticeably thinner than a Glock 26) is still too thick for pants-pocket carry.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Of all the guns you listed, there is only one that I would consider a pocket gun, other than the pm9, and that is the Keltec.
    You might consider some of the S&W Airweights also. They are great pocket revolvers.

Trying to pocket carry a Ruger P95 may land you a hernia!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Not 9mm but

I front pocket carry a PT145 with an Armalaser. A littlle large. But nobody notices.

Thanks guys for the ideas and confirmation.

the Rohrbaugh is a true pocket 9mm. all others are not.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

If Diamondback comes out with their rumored 9mm version of the .380 they recently introduced, it could be the 9mm "baby Glock" that Glock refuses to produce.

That said, I think a "true" 9mm pocket pistol might be akin to the .357 Mag Airweight revolvers - everyone wants one, until they actually shoot it. The 9mm is going to have some serious recoil in a small, light weight pocket pistol - that's why the R9 beats its recoil spring to death every 200 rounds. The PM9 does the same every 1000 rounds (per conversation I had with Kahr).

The only advantage that a 9mm has over a .380 is that the 9mm will drive an expanding JHP bullet to depths that meet the FBI penetration standards. With .380, you need FMJ to do that reliably. I'm not convinced that the slightly larger wound channel is worth the trade-offs in such small pistols.

If someone can engineer a pocket 9mm that doesn't kick like a mule, and doesn't beat itself to death, and costs about $500 - I'll buy one. The fact that it has not been done yet is telling...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I pocket carry my PF-9. it works great my can of dip prints more in my other pocket than my keltec.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If Diamondback comes out with their rumored 9mm version of the .380 they recently introduced, it could be the 9mm "baby Glock" that Glock refuses to produce.

That said, I think a "true" 9mm pocket pistol might be akin to the .357 Mag Airweight revolvers - everyone wants one, until they actually shoot it. The 9mm is going to have some serious recoil in a small, light weight pocket pistol - that's why the R9 beats its recoil spring to death every 200 rounds. The PM9 does the same every 1000 rounds (per conversation I had with Kahr).

The only advantage that a 9mm has over a .380 is that the 9mm will drive an expanding JHP bullet to depths that meet the FBI penetration standards. With .380, you need FMJ to do that reliably. I'm not convinced that the slightly larger wound channel is worth the trade-offs in such small pistols.

If someone can engineer a pocket 9mm that doesn't kick like a mule, and doesn't beat itself to death, and costs about $500 - I'll buy one. The fact that it has not been done yet is telling...
    I actually like the pocket carry nature of the PM9. It's been very good and I personally don't think it kicks that hard.

I'm also inclined to stick with 9mm out of ammo convenience--my other handguns are also 9mm so I only have to stock one caliber and I have ample amounts.

The interest in another pocket 9mm stems more from the need of having two pocket 9's in my family and I was interested in experiment with other guns. I already have the PM9 and 239 (not pocketable), and wanted to see if I was missing out on any notables. Other than the Rohrbaugh, it doesn't sound like it (and the Rohrbaugh doesn't sound too attractive to me).

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I like my 709 Slim, KelTec .380 and S&W 638 snub for carrying.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Links