has anybody ever had a....?

This is a discussion on has anybody ever had a....? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; has anybody ever had a revolver AD? how about a 1911 AD? i here a lot about striker fired guns having a AD lately but ...

Thread: has anybody ever had a....?

has anybody ever had a....?

has anybody ever had a revolver AD? how about a 1911 AD? i here a lot about striker fired guns having a AD lately but never a revolver or a 1911. does this mean these type of guns are safer to carry? the 1911 does have at least 2 or 3 safeties and a revolver has at least a 10 pound trigger pull. any thoughts? thanks

2. Remove Ads

My thoughts are accidental discharges (more appropriately called negligent discharges) are the fault of the carrier, not the weapon. It comes down to keeping your finger off the trigger and taking appropriate precautions (like good pocket holsters) to protect the trigger. If you drop a weapon, do not try to catch it. Let it hit the floor and you will be fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

ok, if you drop a revolver or a 1911 are they safer than a striker fired gun?

They are all safe, when you here "the dropped it and it went off" stories, if they are true, they involve old firearms.

A striker fired firearm is just as safe as any revolver or 1911, and maybe even safer than some older versions such as the series 70 and before.

A striker fired gun also has 2-3 safeties as you state.

Fact is they are all safe be it striker, 1911, or revolver types.

Like BugDude said, an AD is most always human error, not weapon related, except in some rare cases some really old guns (mostly revolvers) have been known to malfunction when dropped on the hammer.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by wjjmlg View Post
    ok, if you drop a revolver or a 1911 are they safer than a striker fired gun?
    It depends on a whole lot of factors. Glocks are "drop safe". Most modern, quality DA revolvers are "drop safe". Many SA revolvers are not. Most modern Rugers are "drop safe". 1911's? I don't know. I've never messed with them other than to shoot numerous ones at the range that didn't belong to me.

the stories i am talking about was the kahr (not an old gun at all)shooting the toilet and the customer that set the loaded gun down on the counter at the gun shop, and the gun shop owner banning all kahr's from entering his store. kind of ridiculous to me. just trying to figure out if some of these stories are true or if they are made up. thanks

When I was in the USAF Security Police,they stopped issuing model 15 38 spcl revolvers for a coupla weeks while they investigated an AD,supposedly the gun fell out of a holster in the latrine stall and a hole appeared in the stall door,the location and angle of the shot determined that the gun did not fall from a holster and strike the floor,but that somebody was playing queeeksdraw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm not familiar with Kahrs. Generally, most modern quality handguns from reputable manufacturers have built in safety mechanisms (striker blocks, trigger or backstrap safeties, etc.) that reduce the liklihood. Of course, any mechanical device can fail. Some lesser known brands of low-end handguns may not have those features. Older handguns may not as well. There are many members here who are very familiar with Kahrs. They may have more specific knowledge on them particularly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

All in all I would say that ND's dont discriminate. Its usually not the guns fault the gun went off. That said, it does not matter what gun it is. However, some might go off easier than others depending on safeties, overall quality, and exactly how or why the safety failed. These are mechanical failures. Take my XDm for example, compare it to something kinda similar such as a Glock. My XDm has three (3) safeties: Trigger safety, grip safety, and internal striker pin block. All these safety's can be disengaged just by gripping and squeezing the trigger. Yet, all of them must be disengaged in order for the striker pin the hit the primer. Thats three (3) mechanical failures that must occur for a ND to occur if its not the shooters fault. The Glock has only one (1) safety. This is the trigger safety, a little bar that is depressed when you pull the trigger. These fail all the time, some by thumb straps getting in the way of reholstering to catching it on sticks while breaking brush. Its a good idea to have a holster covering the trigger while carrying a Glock. They are pretty safe guns, considered "drop safe," and I am compelled to believe that. However, its just one (1) safety to fail for a ND to occur.

1911s, have a few safeties as well, most have the grip safety and thumb safety. These are fairly safe weapons which is why you really dont hear much about NDs with them. But again, its the quality, number of safeties, and the owner of the firearm that will determine if the firearm has a ND or not.

Links