Glock 19 Questions?

This is a discussion on Glock 19 Questions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a Glock 27 (Gen 2.5) for over a decade and and love it. Unfortunately, I replaced it with a Kahr MK9 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Questions?

Glock 19 Questions?

I have owned a Glock 27 (Gen 2.5) for over a decade and and love it. Unfortunately, I replaced it with a Kahr MK9 and then a Kahr PM9 due to weight width for easier concealment.

I plan on selling the Glock 27 to a friend for really cheap ($300) since I don't use it any longer except for occasional range trips. I plan on buying a Glock 19 to consolidate my ammunition types and to have a larger size gun.

I went to the gun store today and noticed that there were versions with rear adjustable sights and fixed sights. Are there other differences in the Gen 3 Glock 19's? I want to buy a new Gen 3 before they're no longer available. The Gen 4 upgrades didn't seem necessary to me.

2. Remove Ads

They can also have night sights and may have 2 or 3 mags and could be 10 round or 15 round mags. They can still be a gen 3 just different options.

You can also get the G19 with factory night sights other than the plastic or adjustable rears. You can order a new G19 with two ten round magazines, or two 15 round magazines in the box. Those are the only options I know of for the 3rd generation Glock 19. The current models do sport the LCI (loaded chamber indicator) extractor. This way you'll know if you're buying the newest G19 instead of one that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. I think the LCI extractors started coming out about three years ago or a bit less. You may also notice the magazines that come with the newer models have the ambi-cut on the front of them.
    I have no reasons to go for any of the 4th generation hype either....time will tell if it's actually hype or not. If you're not already a fan, I just don't see to many converts coming. We'll see what comes of it.

I don't think I would be selling the G27. Buying the Kahr's is fine. As far as the rest of your ?'s I don't know. The Glock folks will weigh in. The G19 idea is a great one I'm after one also. But myself I would have to think again about selling your G27. IMO..

The gen 4's are just the flavor of the week. No need torun out and "buy a 3rd gen while you still can". Even in the unlikely event they do go away, you'll be able to find them on gunbroker or other online auctions.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    I don't think I would be selling the G27. Buying the Kahr's is fine. As far as the rest of your ?'s I don't know. The Glock folks will weigh in. The G19 idea is a great one I'm after one also. But myself I would have to think again about selling your G27. IMO..
    - With a full size 19, I just don't see any real reason to keep the G27. Another good reason is my friend is going to get his CCW and was going to buy a gun around that price range. No sense in him buying a new gun in that price range. :)

Conversion barrel, couple 9mm mags, a new extractor and ejectoctor, and you've saved yourself a few hundred bucks. And held onto your 27 and come out on top.

get yourself the rt2 glock 19 3rd gen (now available with straight slide serrations):

but don't worry--glock isn't going to stop making the 3rd gens anytime soon. they're the most popular pistols in the world, to do so would be an absurd business decision.

you could get the conversion barrel and some g26 mags. now you got two guns in one. cheaper than buying a new gun. long wolf has the barrels for under $100.00 and glock mags are cheap on the net.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Stop trying to talk me out of buying a new gun!

I'm leaning toward the 19 because of it's longer slide. Plus, my friend really could use a nice CCW that's 100% reliable and broken in...

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    but don't worry--glock isn't going to stop making the 3rd gens anytime soon. they're the most popular pistols in the world, to do so would be an absurd business decision.
    I agree, that would be dumb!

Good choice. If you want NS, buying a 19 with them is the cheapest route. I sold both my 27s but I'll probably buy another in the future. I just like that pistol.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I agree, that would be dumb!

Good choice. If you want NS, buying a 19 with them is the cheapest route. I sold both my 27s but I'll probably buy another in the future. I just like that pistol.
    Let's hope that statement is true. Glock has been arrogant to think that they could take 20 plus years to make changes to their design. If they are smart both gen's will be available.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

my impression of the gen4's:

-my thumb rests squarely on that humungous mag catch when i do a combat grip.

-the SF grip (no backstrap attached) feels odd and isn't conducive to a high grip hold.

-the backstraps do not attach securely enough at the bottom of the grip for my taste. they simply "clip" on at the bottom, and are held in by the trigger housing pin at the top.

-the gen4 grip texture is no more grippy than the regular rtf gen3's.

-there are already reports coming in that the gen4 g17 isn't as reliable with non +p ammo as glock used the same dual recoil spring assembly as the gen4 22 40cal. apparently this spring system is a bit on the strong side for 9mm.

a lot of folks like them though, these are simply my observations, and personal opinions. i'm happy if you have a gen4 that you totally dig :)
    Last edited by Don Glock; February 14th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    ...I plan on selling the Glock 27 to a friend for really cheap ($300) since I don't use it any longer except for occasional range trips....
    I take it this is a really really really really good friend!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    I take it this is a really really really really good friend!
    He's definitely a great friend. I've actually known his wife since 1st grade. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links