Kahr CW45

This is a discussion on Kahr CW45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a used CW45 today and ran 24 rounds through it to check for function. One round into the 2nd mag I noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW45

Kahr CW45

Just picked up a used CW45 today and ran 24 rounds through it to check for function. One round into the 2nd mag I noticed the end of the guide rod sticking out of the frame. I stripped the slide off and noticed that the previous owner had reassembled the recoil spring backwards on the guide rod. Reassembled correctly and no more issues. Goona wring it out this coming Tuesday.
    This is not my 1st Kahr, but it is my 1st 45 caliber Kahr. Recoil seems moderate, less than my 3.5 inch Charles Daley. I did have one mag partially eject, but that may have been my fault as I may have hit the button under recoil.
    Range report to follow

2. Remove Ads

Congrats...I also found the recoil of the Kahr .45acp to be manageable.

I had heard on various forums and in general conversation that the recoil was everything from manageable to 44 Mag quality. I found it to be fairly moderate push, nothing like the K40 which is snappy and brisk. Very easy to get back on target. Still don't like those bumps on the front of the grip. I removed them on my CW9 and PM9 and replaced with skateboard tape. Gonna do the same with this one

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report. I would be very interested in your opinions after a more thorough work out.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Good report... Keep us posted as you gt a few more rounds thru it... I might have to add one to go with my CW9...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I have one and think it is very manageable. Bought mine used with unknown rounds through it and never had a problem. Also have a CW9 and like it a lot, too. You're gonna like it.

I really want one to keep my CW9 company. I have heard good things about them. Let us know how it plays out.

I wonder how the recoil compares to my MK9? I'm considering uping my caliber but don't know if I can afford a P45 and may go with the CW45...

Quote Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
    I wonder how the recoil compares to my MK9? I'm considering uping my caliber but don't know if I can afford a P45 and may go with the CW45...
    It's a little more stout than the MK9. It is a little heavier than my P9 and it helps absorb some of the recoil. I really like my P45 and would have no reserves about getting a CW45 if I ran across a good deal.

CMR
    Congrats on the Kahr!
    I have a CW40 and really like it. Been meaning to get a CW45........thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by CMR; February 15th, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

Have a PM45 with about 250 rounds through it. I LOVE THIS GUN. It is now my main off duty carry. I do not find the recoil objectionable at all. My Glock 27 is far more snappy.

Got to the range today with my CW45, but before I talk about that let me give ya a rundown on the modifications that I performed on the little beast. These are the same mods that I did on my PM9 and CW9 and a primarily for comfort and just because I think that they make the weapon fit better in my hand.
    1. Skateboard tape covering the bumps on the front of the grip. Those bumps are just not comfortable to me and the skateboard tape reduces the tendency of the pistol twist in my grip
    2. Using 100 grit sandpaper I smoothed the bumps on the bottom of the rear of the grip. Those bumps dig into the heel of my hand. I do both sides cuz ya never know if ya may have to use the weak hand
    3. I gently rounded the top and bottom edge of the slide release with medium sharpening stone.
    4. Using the 100 grit sandpaper I rounded the right side of the trigger guard slightly. I feel that it helps my hand obtain a grip just a little better/easier during the draw stroke.
    4. I painted the white dot on the front sight with red Bright Sight High Visbility Gun Sight Coating. The red dot just jumps out at me better than the white dot does.
    I had talked with the previous owner and discovered that he had done the 200 round break-in but had not shot it much afterwards. Claimed that the recoil was just too much.
    I ran 50 rounds of 230 gr PMC FMJ through it with no problems. Then I shot 3 shot groups with Remington 185 JHP, Winchester 185 gr Silvertips. Federal 230 gr JHP and Cor-Bon 165 gr Pwr Ball. No FTF with any of the SD ammo. These groups were shot at 7 yards, paced off, using a two hand hold while standing, no rest. The largest group was with the Cor-Bon 165 gr PrB at 3.5 inches and just a tad high from POM and the tightest were the Federal 230 gr load at 2 inches and a hair. I am not the worlds best shot by any means and make on claim otherwise. The weapon is more accurate than I am.
    I prefer the Cor-bon load in my 9mms because I have never had a failure to expand with that load. I'm not gonna to be as picky with the 45 because it is, after all, a 45. Having said that the Cor-Bon will be my carry ammo in this pistol.
    Recoil was moderate with all loads, the Cor-bon did feel slightly more moderate, but that is subjective as I know that a lighter bullet should recoil less so may be allowing that knowledge to color my judgment.
    I will carry it in a OWB pancake style open top holster made for me by Jim Spiedel (aka The Beltman) and using one of his 1 1/4 inch belts. I will carry two spare mags in a Kramer mag carrier.
    Sorry no pictures so don't start hollering for them. I do not have one of those digital cameras, not graduated from the disposable ones yet.

Great report...Ever plan on getting night sights for the gun?

Planning on getting them for my CW9 & the CW45 eventually. My PM9 already has them and my K9 is mainly for range use.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I found that the Hogue Handall filled out the grip just right and the finger bump aided in a better grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links