Attributes of a home defense handgun?

This is a discussion on Attributes of a home defense handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me... *HIGH CAPACITY (I live in the sticks and the police are very far away most of the time). In the city, this would ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attributes of a home defense handgun?

For me...

*HIGH CAPACITY (I live in the sticks and the police are very far away most of the time). In the city, this would probably be less important, although home invasions by multiple suspects are becoming much more common.

*LIGHT-MOUNTING CAPABILITY (e.g., handgun with a rail). I like this option better because it is less skill-intensive than manuevering an unattached light, especially when you're sleepy in the middle of the night.

*NIGHT SIGHTS (An attached light will provide you some sight illumination, but night sights provide a huge, easily-to-obtain advantage).

Of course, RELIABILITY...but that goes without saying...

My bedside gun was a Glock 34, but I've recently switched the a Generation 4 Glock 17 with an Insight Technologies M3 light attached and loaded with Federal HST 124-grain 9mm JHPs. It's kept in an active shooter bag beside the bed, which also hides a stowed-away Glock 19 with extra G17 magazines because they interchange.

2. Remove Ads

An M1 Carbine is preferred here for repelling boarders with a handy Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special to just "get them off of me" in a tight.

I used to keep a great old .44 Special Smith & Wesson Model of 1926 at bedside but they've become collectible so don't really want it tied up in some police locker.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
    I haven't dropped the 1911's from consideration. I love my Kimber Pro Raptor II and Springfield TRP. Neither has a rail. But, they both have night sights and I can use a flashlight in my other hand.
    Sounds like you are ready to go. I have a Springer with a Surefire as my night time bedside weapon as a backup to my 870 riot. I'm not big on firmly affixed lights on a night time weapon. Gives the BG a perfect aiming point.

I'd suggest an alarm system and a dog for maximum protection against intruders. A dog preferable to the alarm system. I sleep real good at night with my weapons, alarm and 105 lb. American Bulldog.
    JMO

Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 15th, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Plenty [too many] of good 9mms to choose from. Also a 1911-type .45 since you don't have to really conceal it. In my bedroom, I have an FNP-9 and a Hi-Point and an old black sloppy-slide miltary Colt.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Right now, I use my SA-XD9sc. I use the 16 round extended mag, so that's 17 rounds without reloading. I honestly can't see the need for more than that.

If i was to buy another one specifically for home defense, I'd probably just get a longer barreled version of the XD/XDm's... They all have rails for lights/lasers.

The nice thing about a home defense handgun is NONE of the concealability compromises come in to play.

Large caliber in a large gun means its controllable.
    Capacity is nice, but your HOME, on ground you know very well and close to supplies/reloads/other firearms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links