Attributes of a home defense handgun?

This is a discussion on Attributes of a home defense handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Assuming you put in the time to familiarize yourself with your selected handgun, what attributes are important to you when selecting a home defense handgun? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attributes of a home defense handgun?

Assuming you put in the time to familiarize yourself with your selected handgun, what attributes are important to you when selecting a home defense handgun?

I'm not looking for a caliber war. More interested in trigger type, round capacity, type of sights, handgun type (revolver vs. semi-auto) etc.

For me, I have a choice of Glocks, Sig P226 DA/SA, Ruger GP100, 1911 Commander or Govt Model and a S&W 442.

I wanted my G23 to be my HD handgun. But, with a Streamlight TLR-1 light on the rail, it is a jam-o-matic. So, it is out. I currently have the light on my G19.

Considering getting a G17 or G21SF with night sights. The G17 gets more capacity than my G19 and the G21SF gets a larger bullet with a little less capacity than my G19.

OD*
    I prefer the Gov't Model in .45 auto, it's what I am familiar with, it's what I shoot well, "it fits" me and I believe in the caliber.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I prefer the Gov't Model in .45 auto, it's what I am familiar with, it's what I shoot well, "it fits" me and I believe in the caliber.
    I haven't dropped the 1911's from consideration. I love my Kimber Pro Raptor II and Springfield TRP. Neither has a rail. But, they both have night sights and I can use a flashlight in my other hand.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
    I haven't dropped the 1911's from consideration. I love my Kimber Pro Raptor II and Springfield TRP. Neither has a rail. But, they both have night sights and I can use a flashlight in my other hand.
    By all means, you should choose the pistol that is right for you, what you are good with and what you are comfortable with handling. The 1911 is right for me, I didn't mean to imply it's what you should select, a Sig, Glock or Ruger may be best for you.

what attributes are important to you when selecting a home defense handgun?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

You're the second person I've heard that has a G23 that jams with a light on the rail. Is that a common issue for that model?

I tend to keep 2 weapons out of the safe at a time, one a larger capacity than the other, both CC pieces. In a HD scenario, I'd reach for the higher capacity. Usually my XD40sc. I have no concern utilizing my sub compact 9mm for HD (Taurus PT709). It is extremely accurate from 50 feet (the longest range I would need in HD). With 2 seven round mags and one in the pipe, I'm comfortable with it's capacity. My Ruger Police Service Six .357 Mag revolver used to be my HD weapon, but I shoot the CC guns a lot more and am confident with them and my abilities with them. The big wheel gun is mostly for big booms at the range with limited carry now (I carried it IWB tonight just for the heck of it).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    You should use what you feel most comfortable with. Pick the gun that you feel most comfortable with making the shots that may need to be made. If you want a light on the gun, pick the one that works the best for you with a light on it. If you want high capacity, pick one with lots of BBs. My choice and your choice won't always be the same. I personally picked a 226 in 9mm as my best home defense pistol, but since I have a choice, a long gun is my primary choice.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You should use what you feel most comfortable with. Pick the gun that you feel most comfortable with making the shots that may need to be made. If you want a light on the gun, pick the one that works the best for you with a light on it. If you want high capacity, pick one with lots of BBs. My choice and your choice won't always be the same. I personally picked a 226 in 9mm as my best home defense pistol, but since I have a choice, a long gun is my primary choice.
    I have a HD shotgun. But, I feel more comfortable with a handgun right now. Need to spend more time with the HD shotgun too.

XD40 in my nightstand. Right hand reaches in with it positioned for a good grip. Flashlight - same natural positioning. 2nd magazine

Might sound dumb but I keep it on the drawer instead of on top

I prefer my Glock-36, but I also have two Kimbers...all .45's
    It' all I need...after the coach gun starts the welcoming party...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have several hand guns, but none are strictly designated as HD. Whatever I carried that day will go in the gunvault and the spare ammo is on the belt of a pair of pants on my dresser when I go to bed. Usually it is a Glock 23, 27 or 19.

I used to keep one handgun out at all times. It used to be in my nightstand. Then my son started to walk around so I elevated it. Now he is climbing so I bought the gunvault to provide quick access. The rest of my weapons are in 2 larger safes.

But while I'm awake the weapon is on my hip. Once I retire for the evening it goes in the gunvault.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Assuming you put in the time to familiarize yourself with your selected handgun.
    This attribute means the most to me. If a person is comfortable and skilled with any of the guns you mentioned, they would be very well prepared. The distances will be short and any reliable gun having reasonable power and capacity should be fine. I personally have decided to use a hand held instead of weapon mounted light for several reasons along with the one you mentioned. I do think a good night sight like the XS Big Dot is helpful in low/no light.

Like JD, I shoot my best with a 1911 in my hand, but a Glock would be OK too, maybe even better in the case of waking from a sound sleep (simple MOA). Actually, I have heard it recommended that your SD firearm be kept at least 3 steps from the bed for that reason.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

I don't care about size when it comes to home defense. This allows me to have a gun with a larger capacity than my carry options. I doubt I will need a hi cap gun but why not.

I also like extra safety options that I normally wouldn't care for in a carry gun. There are a lot of ppl coming in and out of the house and no matter how safe you are, things can happen. Therefore I like manual safeties, decockers, and internal locks on my home defense guns.

I also like a rail for lights or lazers. Having said all of that, my home defense gun is a Taurus PT101p with 16 rounds of Hornady TAP .40S&W. This gun fits all my needs.

For me, reliability is the main concern, because if someones in your house, the gun has to work. That leaves my autos out, because I worry about spring fatigue at the most inoppurtune time. So for me I chose the S&W model 627 with an 8 shot capacity. This also solves any concerns about capacity. I load it with 125 grn 38 spls at +p velocity. It is a big shiney, and intimidating handgun that has a short stroke double action trigger due to its 8 shot cylinder. Its a big gun, easy to feel in the dark and a simple manuel of arms.

Hi just answered this on THR. Smaller light like the tlr 3 might be cheaper. If you just want a new gun G-21 SF gets my vote.

VIP Member
    Assuming you put in the time to familiarize yourself with your selected handgun, what attributes are important to you when selecting a home defense handgun?

I'm not looking for a caliber war. More interested in trigger type, round capacity, type of sights, handgun type (revolver vs. semi-auto) etc.

For me, I have a choice of Glocks, Sig P226 DA/SA, Ruger GP100, 1911 Commander or Govt Model and a S&W 442.

I wanted my G23 to be my HD handgun. But, with a Streamlight TLR-1 light on the rail, it is a jam-o-matic. So, it is out. I currently have the light on my G19.

Considering getting a G17 or G21SF with night sights. The G17 gets more capacity than my G19 and the G21SF gets a larger bullet with a little less capacity than my G19.
    Get yourself a FS M&P .45, I have shot the shat out of it with my light on just to make sure that it's reliable. I have not ever had one issue. If you want to stay with Glock, go with another model just as you mentioned.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links