S&w 637

This is a discussion on S&w 637 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 637 snubbie in 38. I like everything about the gun except the exposed hammer. I now realize I should have bought ...

Thread: S&w 637

S&w 637

I have a S&W 637 snubbie in 38. I like everything about the gun except the exposed hammer. I now realize I should have bought a different model. What are my options as far as removing/replacing the exposed hammer?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    There are aftermarket hammers out there, I'd look in Brownells

And welcome to our forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

get the s&w bobbed hammer. they drop in, not hard to replace. i done it for several j-frames. the hardest part is finding one these day.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have the same gun. But in my case, I wanted a hammer. A good macine shop can bob your existing hammer which is simply milling and then dressing. Oc cource you will have to remove the hammer yourself.

Or, like said above, order a hammer. If you have your OEM hammer bobed, you can order a replacement and put it back on the gun should you choose to do so in the future.

Best luck,

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

If you have a gun dealer you work with you may be able to trade it in on a S&W Model 638, same gun with a shroud over the hammer. The 638 can be shot double or single action, which can't be done with a S&W 642 (enclosed hammer) and wouldn't (or extremely difficult) be able to be done with a bobbed hammer.

Both the 637 and 638 cost the same usually, so you may trade gun for gun for a used one, or pay a little boot for a new one, but by the time you have custom work on your gun, or order a replacement hammer and install (or have it installed) you might come out money ahead, or the same with a new gun.

And Welcome to the forum!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

VIP Member
    Having a hammer is a beautiful thing imho. It sounds like you're looking for a 642, in which case, why not trade/sell-for/purchase one?

Don't cut the hammer, you may want it back some day...buy another bobbed hammer for a replacement and keep the old one.
    I have the 637 and simple muscle memory developed to cover the hammer with your thumb will solve the problem.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Having a hammer is a beautiful thing imho. It sounds like you're looking for a 642, in which case, why not trade/sell-for/purchase one?
    Yep, Love my hammer on my 637. I dont see how they can hinder concealment, but I also dont pocket carry. Always IWB.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Thanks for the info and welcomes! I've been reading on here a while and the information given is extremely valuable!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't cut the hammer, you may want it back some day...buy another bobbed hammer for a replacement and keep the old one.
    I have the 637 and simple muscle memory developed to cover the hammer with your thumb will solve the problem.IMHO
    Good advice, I practice drawing and it becomes second nature. I like the look of the hammer also.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Links