New G30SF - Range Report

This is a discussion on New G30SF - Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 3 months ago, I set about the task of choosing a 'classic' 1911 .45. However, as I over-analyzed (as I tend to do), I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New G30SF - Range Report

VIP Member

New G30SF - Range Report

About 3 months ago, I set about the task of choosing a 'classic' 1911 .45. However, as I over-analyzed (as I tend to do), I came upon a 'purist' philosophy that I really didn't want external safeties. When I pull a gun out, I'm ready to shoot. I decided that I didn't want a procedure that I must go thru to unlock the weapon (bear in mind that I was trained on the 1911 and carried on duty for 5 years). I still think that the Colt 1911 is the most beautiful handgun that I've ever laid eyes on, and I love the heritage that it carries - I'm still gonna get one.

But now that I've taken 'beauty' off the checklist, I'm quickly onto Glock . I know some folks hate the grip angle, etc.. but I swear that angels sing every time that I pick one up. My EDC is a G19, and it has proven to be the most reliable weapon that I've ever owned (thousands of rounds - never a hiccup). It wasn't a reach to look at the G30. First off, I can personally dispell the notion that the grip is too wide. I don't have huge hands and it fits perfect (weight lifters know that a wider bar allows for better control). Also, it's a 10+1, compact-double-stack-230-grain-ashtray-flinging-angel-of-death. Of course, it's gonna have a wide grip! Secondly, I can now address the rumor that it's built too tight to really carry 10+1. It can and there's a trick to it. You load 9 in the mag, slam it in & rack it. Now drop the mag and put two more rounds in the mag and slam it home with authority. Done. I was able to push 10 in each mag with just my thumbs (although the loader is still recommended).

Now for the range... I sent each round out under the 10+1 config to see if it would choke. Of course, it didn't. Brand new, out-of-the-box-no-break-in-150-rounds-of-perfection. What really surpised me was that I was getting better groups with quicker follow-up than I could with the G19. I'll let the experts figure that one out?

My original intention was to just purchase a .45 because my dad decided he couldn't live without the Colt that he had previously handed-down to me. But now I've decided that I'm gonna find nice IWB for it, because this is gonna be my new EDC. I'll take 10+1 of .45 over 15+1 of 9mm, plus I'm more accurate with it anyway (still can't figure that one out). Ramrod - if you're reading this, you've gotta get one of these!

Pics below, some with the G30 on the left in comparison with the G19:
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Great report! That's a very nice looking duo you got there. Enjoy your new EDC.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

kpw
    Nice choice! My two favorite Glocks! My G30 SF is one of the most accurate pistols I've owned. It actually fits my hands a bit better than my G19. If I could only have one......I dunno.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have the G30. Very enjoyable to shoot, recoil is mild. Then again, I'm used to a Blackhawk .41 Mag. I'm no super shot, but any chest the size of a paper plate is in serious trouble.

I've held the SF 30 and honestly, with my medium-size hands, can't feel much difference. I guess in a "small" hand it may make a more noticeable difference. If it fits better, get it.

A double-stack anything is going to feel bigger. What do people expect?
    And, after loading nine rounds initially and letting them sit overnight, my mags take 10 rds with no problem.

A lot of people think a Glock is "ugly." No, it doesn't have the lines of a 1911, but to me it looks like a gun, a very functional one at that. Can't simplicity have its own beauty?

One FTE in hundreds of rounds, and that's because it surprised me and caught me in a "limp-wrist." Never even considered having to worry about a "break-in" period.

Would I like to have a 1911? You betcha! And when my Lotto numbers come in, I'm getting one of everything! but until then, the Glock 30 will do anthing and everything I ask of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The 19 and 30 were my first two Glocks. I still carry the 19 the most, but as you said 11 rounds of .45 ACP is a nice little package.

WHEC724 I'm leaning heavily towards a Glock 30SF as a carry gun it sounds like a great little package indeed.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

VIP Member
    GLOCK - pretty? Uh, no.

Get-the-job-done no-matter-what-reliable? You betcha!

Now is it a better gun that a Colt, well .........
    I wouldn't go that far!

I like my GLOCKs, but I like my Colt more.

Whatever works for you, though!

Thanks for the report.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yeah, I finally got a decent IWB holster for my G27, and while I love to tote my revolvers, I have to admit that I'm starting to reach for the G27 more. 10 rounds of .40 is hard to beat, unless it's .45 of course!
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

I love my G30SF as my carry piece, it's very light on your hip. It conceals very well at the 3-330 with an AKJ Concealco holster. AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather. Don't forget you can use the G21 13 round mags for reloads. That's what I do and it works very well.

Nice enjoy!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

It IS really nice having a pistol be reliable right out of the box, isn't it?

Congrats on your new Glock!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Great report... A G30 is on my short list... I already have the 1911's...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

yes, the g30 is a good gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

jon
    I can't say enough good things about my G30.
    Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links