Labeling Magazines

This is a discussion on Labeling Magazines within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone Label their magazines? If so how do you do it? I was thinking of using one of those label makers but not sure if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labeling Magazines

Labeling Magazines

Anyone Label their magazines? If so how do you do it? I was thinking of using one of those label makers but not sure if it would last. Any ideas or is labeling magazines a stupid idea?

2. Remove Ads

Yep, I label and, nope, don't think it's stupid. I bought nine extra magazines for my Springfield EMP bringing my total to 11. I have two that will not lock the slide back when empty, so marking them helped me to identify which ones were defective (or problematic).
    I used a fine tip paint marker to number the bottom of each magazine.

It's actually a great idea. I actually bought some star stickers at Target. I put them on the bottom of the magazine. It's useful for identifying any magazines you may have trouble with.

You can also put a dab of nail polish on the bottom... if you have any around the house.

Mine are all labeled with the gun it fits, caliber, and round count. I use the little return address labels and a Flair.

I used white testor's model airplane paint to label each with a number. Keep in mind, it's hard to totally remove dried/aged paint completely from the plastic base plate if you change your mind. You could use a labeling machine. It's easy and the label can be peeled off at a later time.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I make tiny labels from a Avery address label. I just type the numbers I need, 1 thru whatever for a particular gun then cut them out seperately and stick them on the base. One Avery 8160 holds a lot of numbers.

They last a long time... not forever but replacement is a snap.

Here's my Daewoo with it's "mag-tag" peeking out.
    Last edited by ripley16; February 14th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

I don't label them as I use them all and haven't had any issues with any of them. You can buy the paint markers at Wal-Mart of wherever, the easiest to read I've seen are the silver markers. They have a tip a little fatter than a Sharpie. I've seen this done quite a bit. Or for something that isn't as obtrusive, you can engrave numbers on the base plate of the magazine.

I write a number on the rear of the mag shaft with a sharpie. It writes and shows up well on stainless steel mags. The mark lasts quite a few months depending on usage, then I just remark if needed.

I also mark the mags I drop on hard surfaces in order to fully test them before relying on them again. I write "dropped" on the mag to try and remind my dumbarse to be more careful.

I also use a sharpie permanent marker. I figured paper type labels would somehow break loose and get tangled up somewhere near/in the chamber.

I have labeled mine, 1 dot of paint,2 dots of paint, etc.

If I have a mag that doesn't work right or causes problems at least I'll know which one it is. Plus, I can rotate carry mags.

I have used labels and markers previously, but now just engrave them with a scratch awl. This way they are permanently marked and I can rotate them and not get them confused if one malfunctions. The labels and marker method would often become dirty/illegible.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

VIP Member
    I engrave my initials and the number of the mag on the back toward the base plate. That way I know it's mine if I drop one at a match.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I use a touch/dot of brightly colored nail polish...simple color coding does the trick.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I only have 2 mags, but I always take my engraver tool and number them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc...

I use an electric engraver and engrave them with the gun they go to and a number. I have a canvas bag that I keep all my spare mags in and some look so much alike, it's difficult to tell which gun they belong to. That's why I engrave the gun they go to. The number is to know if there's a problem with a specific mag. After engraving, you can touch up with a touch-up pen or cold blue to prevent rust and still will be able to read the engraving.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links