Glock grip question

Glock grip question

This is a discussion on Glock grip question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the last gun show one of the dealers had a Glock 21 for sale. The grip was covered with stuff that looked painted on. ...

Thread: Glock grip question

VIP Member

Glock grip question

At the last gun show one of the dealers had a Glock 21 for sale. The grip was covered with stuff that looked painted on. It was black, felt like sandpaper (maybe 120 grit), very sharp. There was no way this gun would have slipped even if your hand was covered in Vaseline.

My question is, what was this stuff? Is it something common? Has anyone used this stuff? It felt like it might start wearing on your hand after just a couple of mags worth of rounds.

Thanks guys. (no offense to the gals)
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    Probably nothing to do with this Copper but - way back when I shot a lot of practical revo - I made some grips for my M686 and varnished them - and on the final generous coat sprinkled glass beads on (like you get on reflective signs) - end result was a very grippy feel tho not entirely perfect aesthetically!

I guess similar could be done on any grips.

Here is a pic I have posted before of some grips I used to make for my revo's - this was 20 plus years ago!

Left is plain grips for Redhawk - then center IIRC was Trooper MkIII grips and finally - I think, the ones for 686 tho I made two pairs eventually. The glass bead deal on this pic tho has been sanded off and I refinished them ultimately.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Probley just skateboard tape

Works pretty well hands get used to it but for carry not good cloths stick to it

VIP Member
    Good looking grips, Chris. Do you recall what kind of wood those are? They have a nice grain to them.

Bud, I think you might be right with the tape. It looked painted on, but could have been tape trimmed to the edges.

I was thinking it possibly would be good for competition, but CC would wear holes in the clothes before too long.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    The wood Copper? yes all mahogany - but from two batches. The Redhawk grips were from some very red stuff of which I had very little sadly - had plenty of the lighter stuff. You may notice they all have the tight grain pattern fairly typical of mahognay.

It is also a nice wood to work with, tho - trouble with revo grips is routing out the internal profile - tedious and very critical!!!

I had thought - despite Bud's comment - if grip tape it'd be real obvious as a layer applied. It sure works that's for sure but yeah - if too much it does catch on clothes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

they make a stick on grip tape for glocks and other guns. feels like sand paper. don't know how well it works.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako
    they make a stick on grip tape for glocks and other guns. feels like sand paper. don't know how well it works.
    I've seen those on a 27. They are precut to perfection and look and feel great. It felt more like Rhino Lining for a pickup bed than grip tape. I liked it alot and would probably use them if I ever bought a Glock.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

It is just like what is used on skateboards. You can buy it at just about any gun store. From what I am told by people who use it is that if you shoot it or carry it for very long that is wears off or just comes off of the gun. I have also been told that if you have sensitive hands that it can hurt.

I use a mounting bike tube on my G21, and G30. Gives just a little extra grip with out changing the size of the grip much. And it is a cheap solution.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have seen pre-cut, adhesive-backed, decals made with either a rubber gripping surface or sandpaper gripping surface that are designed for a variety of polymer framed handguns (including Glock). I believe the product may be called "Decal-Grip" (Duh!).

I prefer the product called "AGrip" by Brooks Tactical. It is a bit peculiar looking, somewhat like velvet and feels like suede... I recommend it.

Here's a pic of it installed on one of my Kahrs:

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

You can buy a spray can of grip adhesive at any local Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It's very similar to the grip paint stuff you see on some cement stairs in buildings sometimes. I have seen it before at the Depot. Not sure I'd want to spray it onto my grip but I guess it would certainly work great if you tended to have slippery hands or were in a slippery-hand environment.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Without seeing it, this is my guess. It works well.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...aspx?p=1140&s=

Sponsored Links