S&W snubby that is steel...

This is a discussion on S&W snubby that is steel... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which model is actually made of steel? Seems like every S&W snubby I see is an Airweight or UL or whatever they are calling them. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W snubby that is steel...

S&W snubby that is steel...

Which model is actually made of steel? Seems like every S&W snubby I see is an Airweight or UL or whatever they are calling them. I am looking for a steel S&W snubby .38
    and I prefer no hammer.
    Last edited by TGC; February 14th, 2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added text

2. Remove Ads

I know the model 36 is, if they still make that one. It is the original chiefs special. I am not sure of the number designations, but I saw many all steel snubbys at the gun show this weekend. They were configured in many ways, concealed hammers, bodyguard versions ect.. You should not have a problem finding one.

Model 60 S&W. All Stainless steel.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

The Models: 36 Chief's Special, 40 Centennial, and 49 Bodyguard are steel variations of J-Frame revolvers.

If you seek hammerless you are looking for the Model 40.

Stainless steel variations include the Models: 60, 640, and 649.

It's not a popular notion but in my view the steel-framed models are superior in every way to the lightweight alloy-framed models. I've owned one of the popular Model 642 revolvers for 12 years but it scarcely sees any use. I'm gettin' old but am not to the point that I can't tote a few extra ounces in a holster or a pocket. I like the weight of steel, its durability, and even its appearance after it becomes worn.

640 in stainless steel for .38's only. 640-1 in stainless for .357's or .38's. Also, it is a "Centennial" frame -- it has a fully enclosed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The Models: 36 Chief's Special, 40 Centennial, and 49 Bodyguard are steel variations of J-Frame revolvers.

If you seek hammerless you are looking for the Model 40.

Stainless steel variations include the Models: 60, 640, and 649.

It's not a popular notion but in my view the steel-framed models are superior in every way to the lightweight alloy-framed models. I've owned one of the popular Model 642 revolvers for 12 years but it scarcely sees any use. I'm gettin' old but am not to the point that I can't tote a few extra ounces in a holster or a pocket. I like the weight of steel, its durability, and even its appearance after it becomes worn.
    I know what you mean. I've got a 1962 S&W 49 Bodyguard all steel snubbie that is one of my favorite guns. It's got a salty well worn appearance that gives it character. I've got a 442 as well, but I prefer the look and feel of the old steel gun with the wood grips.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I know what you mean. I've got a 1962 S&W 49 Bodyguard all steel snubbie that is one of my favorite guns. It's got a salty well worn appearance that gives it character. I've got a 442 as well, but I prefer the look and feel of the old steel gun with the wood grips.
    I would love to have your J Frame.It looks great and it was born the same year I was.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks. It was a gun dealer's personal pocket carry piece for many years. I wasn't looking to buy anything at the time (I had just bought a S&W 442 a couple weeks before) and just kind of stumbled across it. When he handed it to me to look at, it was like it melded to my hand and a tuning fork went off in my heart. As I handed him the post-haggle cash, I kept saying "I don't really need another 38 snub". It's got old school cool oozing from its worn blued frame. It's a much better shooter than the Airweight. I carry +Ps in it, but shoot standard pressure 38s at the range. The old steel ones aren't rated for +P, and I wouldn't feed them a steady diet of them, but for SD carry and occasional shooting they will hold up to +P.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for all the input...that Model 40 looks exactly like what I've been searching for. I'll have to handle one and see if it feels as good as it looks...thanks again to all.

model 36 and/or model 60.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

640 or 60
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I just missed out on two Model 36 Chief Specials with the nickle finish. They both turned up within a week at my favorite fun shop. I saw them yesterday in the display case with sold tags on both of them. I may call and put my name in if the buyers back out. My daughter covets mine and I got the idea of picking up another one for her future 18th birthday gift. I've already promised her I'll pay for her CPL classes and her permit for her 21st.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have a SW model 37, all steel, 38 spec. is that also a Chief Special? It was given to me by a friend.

All steel J frames

I also like the all steel J frame snubbies, and have two of them, a blue model 36 and a stainless model 60.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

stainless too..

Stainless too.. the PX4sc is the everyday carry, the 60-1 is spending a lot of time in the safe, but I'm not ready to part with it yet. I just feel so guilty for making it stay home whenever the rest go for a jeep ride. Perhaps it'll be a present for the daughter..
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links