Good price for used 709 Slim?

This is a discussion on Good price for used 709 Slim? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for either a Taurus 709 Slim or a Keltek PF9. The corner gun store has a used 709 for $319. No ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Good price for used 709 Slim?

I'm in the market for either a Taurus 709 Slim or a Keltek PF9. The corner gun store has a used 709 for $319. No box (or whatever may come with a new Taurus), just the pistol and one magazine. The pistol is in new condition. I have to assume that it has been fired, but I compared a new one side to side to this one and can't tell the difference.

It looks like a good price to me, but I though I would ask the Internet first.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would steer away from a Semi auto Taurus (especial a used one) for carrying I would trust the Kel Tec much more... but go to the range and shoot both first see which one calls your name out too you! Good luck
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I would steer away from a Semi auto Taurus (especial a used one) for carrying I would trust the Kel Tec much more... but go to the range and shoot both first see which one calls your name out too you! Good luck
    IMO kel tec/taurus same deal...but I do agree about the used thing...a lot of times they are "used" because of a reason...that said if your willing to IF you have trouble send it back and forth to get it fixed then its not horrible..if not just pass on it. heck just ask if you can "test fire" it to be sure its ok and run a box through it..many gun shops will do this especially if your a good customer.

Before I picked up the Ruger SR9 compact I was looking at a 709 slim myself..

What's nice about Taurus is that even if you are the 3rd owner, etc. they will still honor the Lifetime Warranty. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Not sure about it being used, but I love my 709 Slim. I have had NO problems with mine and I've run a lot of rounds through it.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

You should be able to get a new PF9 for around $300. I would do that before taking a chance on a used Taurus. Ive heard nothing but bad about Taurus customer service. I looked at a chrome PF9 today at the local GS and I was impressed. It may take a hundred rounds or so to get the PF9 dialed in, but to me that is the better deal over a used Taurus.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

My guess, someone bought it and (1) found something they decided they liked better (some people are fickled). (2) it had FTE or FTF issues and they didn't know enough on how to return it to be fixed and just traded it. (3) was a female who decided they would rather have a revolver. (4) bought it and lost their job right after that, (5) took it home and their wife said it's either the gun or me, but one of them goes. LOL.

I disagree. I would buy it if it appears to be all good. If by chance it needed repairs, I would send it in to Taurus and it would come back right.

Since it's in a gun store and already used, I'd buy it with the agreement that I could return it for a full refund if it fails to function. The 709 is a relatively new gun and while Eagleks has listed several valid reasons why it may have been traded in, I'd be a bit skeptical of a used one showing up this quickly but the price looks to be very good for what I see them selling for on the net.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The 709 Slim hasn't been on the market very long... so I find it unlikely that someone had it long enough to simply get tired of a perfectly good gun.

Most likely it had problems from the get-go, and the prior owner decided to dump it.

Most problems with the 709 are either limp wristing, not cleaning the factory grease out before firing, or using winchester white box ammo.

I have a PT709 and I wouldn't part with it. Flawless performance after 600 rounds (even 100 rounds of winchester white box with no problem, but that was after the first 200 rounds of break-in). Mine feeds, fires, and ejects every brand and type. Very accurate, thin and light, easy to carry and conceal. I have 10 handguns and the 709 is now my most frequently carried gun and one of my favorite to shoot. I paid $369 (+ tax and call-in) new, about $400 out the door. The only thing you do not have is the plastic box and manual.

I'd offer $280 first (plus tax on top of that). If they say no, offer $300 cash out the door (all other costs included). Haggle with them. If they won't budge, ask them to throw in a box of 50 rounds to shoot to make sure it feeds and ejects properly before you buy it and a box of 50 defensive rounds. I would also break the gun down and inspect the extractor, ejector, and feed ramp. While it is apart, drop a round in the chamber to see how smoothly it drops in and out. Put the rim of a round in the extractor to see how well the extractor grabs the rim and the fit. Once together, cycle some rounds through it without firing it. See if they will let you shoot it before buying. That's the real test.

In the last couple of weeks, the price of the 709s has started to go up due to demand. Some of the early releases had extractor problems (a bad batch of extractors) but that seems to have been resolved. Toss that out there as one of the reasons why you need some cushion if you have to send it back. The gun has a lifetime warranty regardless of if you were the original purchaser. I'd lay 3 C notes on the counter and smile all the way home if they take it. Haggle...start low. You can work your way up a lot easier than you can work your way down. Haggling is my favorite part of buying stuff at a pawn shop (I'm a pawn shop junkie).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I must have gotten a lemon from all the good reviews I read, but my PF9 was awful. A failure to extract on every mag (fully seated). After 2 trips back to Kel Tec, the problem got worse. I got a full refund and put it toward an XD9sc.

Never a problem with the 4 Taurus pistols I have owned.

Thumbs up 709 My first

I purchased the SLIM 709 for Christmas and go to the range every Friday to practice. I haven't had any problems so far after running 200 though her. It is a great CCW weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    The 709 Slim hasn't been on the market very long... so I find it unlikely that someone had it long enough to simply get tired of a perfectly good gun.

Most likely it had problems from the get-go, and the prior owner decided to dump it.
    It's been out for more than 4 years...
    Taurahe likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    It's been out for more than 4 years...
    This
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Taurus PT709 reliability and customer service

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    You should be able to get a new PF9 for around $300. I would do that before taking a chance on a used Taurus. Ive heard nothing but bad about Taurus customer service. I looked at a chrome PF9 today at the local GS and I was impressed. It may take a hundred rounds or so to get the PF9 dialed in, but to me that is the better deal over a used Taurus.
    I purchased the PT 709 about 4 years ago. I was really impressed with the size and the outstanding concealment. I've taken it overseas on extended backpacking trips in the mountains of a central American country. It has seen sandy, dirty, rain drenched conditions (places where I'd be reluctant to take a more expensive piece of equipment) and went through periods where I couldn't clean and oil it on an hourly basis as it seems some people like to do (being facetious). It worked perfectly, and I never had a situation in which I was concerned that I could not rely on this pistol.

Maybe I just had exceptionally good luck but I think the pistol is very impressive for the money. I own, or have at least fired many high end pistols in the same concealment class. Yes you can tell the difference in a few areas like comfort of grips and all that stuff. But like window cranks vs. electric windows in a car....the point is....can you get the window down. When you want this gun to fire and do what you need it to do, it will.

I have had two small issues with the pistol. The front sight came loose, I ended up removing the factory sight and replacing it with a sight of similar size off a GLOCK with the night sights. A gunsmith customized the screw and it functions perfectly. The only other issue was with feed from the magazine. After over 3 years with full magazine. The spring in the magazine has compressed somewhat. I had the same gunsmith show me how to quickly fix this problem by simply removing the spring from the magazine, extending it slightly, and replacing it. I have had absolutely no feeding problems since.

As far as customer service, I go by experience, not by what I "hear" from others. The people at Taurus have been awesome. When I first had the problem with the front sight. Taurus sent an entire sight assembly front and rear: completely free of charge. They were very apologetic. From my experience, they have outstanding customer service.

For the 350.00 I paid for this handgun I am extremely pleased. It's not posh, fancy, or pretty. You won't pull this out at the range to a barrage of oooooohs and ahhhhhhhs but.....it works. And about reviews about not trusting it much past 10 yards...I have to claim shooter skill on that one. For me, this gun places all 7 rounds within the "cardiac box" at 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links